Daegul

Spoon evaluations

I was just interested in spoon efficiency, so syrup is out. What sorts of sugar cubes would you recommend though? I'd like organic, but not sure where to find them.

Different sugars have different dissolving rates, so you might want to see what you can find. I was shown some very interesting sugar cubes that seemed to almost be made of pressed confectioner's sugar. I don't use sugar though, so I couldn't tell you where to find any. Sorry.

La Perruche cubes don't fall apart as easily as most. Using these with a slow drip, I've louched many glasses with little to no sugar at the bottom.

They're big, so I tend to cut them in half.

I was just interested in spoon efficiency, so syrup is out. What sorts of sugar cubes would you recommend though? I'd like organic, but not sure where to find them.

I use these: http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=4825

And these: http://www.alandia.de/absinthe/product_inf...ugar-Black.html

The Alandia sugar tablets are packaged two in one wrapper, each is smaller than the Domino sugar tablet. Just to warn you the Domino tablet is very dense and will need a slow 6-8 minute drip to completely dissolve. Way too damn slow IMO. But useful for the larger glasses I use. The Alandia sugar is looser and melts much faster, good for my smaller glasses. The sugar at the bottom is a complete non-issue for me. Stirring for about 15 seconds will leave so little residue left after you stop stirring that by the time you actually finish drinking your absinthe the sugar will have dissolved completely. :cheers:

Edit: they seem to have changed the Domino tablets since I last bought them from this site. The ones I have are individually wrapped, but these don't look like it....

If you can find Saint Louis Sucre sugar cubes, those would be the ones to go for.

They are the ones like the old style French sugar tablets.

It's been awhile since I've bought any, so I'm not sure where to pick them up lately.

Try contacting them to find where they are retailing in the USA.

Saint Louis Sucre

Wow, Daegul great sacrifice you made for the cause. How was the day after?

La Perruche

I've had great luck with a regular domino cube...it seems to melt away just as the glass is at 3:1. A drop of absinth on the cube first will speed it up if it's too slow for you.

Although I've sampled most of my collection without, I still prefer my absinthes with sugar most of the time. :unsure:

I started out with the generic reproduction #17 spoons, but never really liked them: the pointed leaf shape and furrow do a bang-up job of funneling an excessively-fast carafe pour over the lip of the glass and onto the counter, while the small tip and blunt form combine to make it rather ineffective as a stirring utensil. The La Fee spoon (undoubtedly the best part of that gift) is a bit better in this regard, with the little kink in the handle making it sit a bit more securely.

While I'm aware they're period-correct, spoons stamped out of such thin sheet metal feel unsatisfyingly cheap in my hand, and I will never understand why so many designs feature a blunt nose when the bottom of the dose reservoir in many absinthe glasses, where all the undissolved sugar ends up, is so narrow.

I was fortunate to acquire one of the Tempus Fugit Skull spoons (the inexpensive stainless-steel one, not the pricey sterling silver version) and it's now my weapon of choice: it has a nice long handle that balances well on the glass, a bowl-shaped area for the sugar that resists splashing and overflowing, and a proper spoon bowl pointy enough to stir the very bottom of a pontarlier reservoir which also makes an effective scoop to remove any errant bits of cork or sealing wax which might have found their way into my drink. All this with the satisfying heft and shape of a nice piece of cutlery instead of feeling like cheap cafeteria flatware. I've read some complaints that the rather large holes let the sugar fall through too quickly, which might be true with a slow fountain drip, but since I've yet to prepare a sugared glass of absinthe which didn't need a quick stir to get everything dissolved that seems a small price to pay.

La Perruche cubes don't fall apart as easily as most. Using these with a slow drip, I've louched many glasses with little to no sugar at the bottom.

They're big, so I tend to cut them in half.

I agree..I have used domino and other packaged sugars, but La Perruche cubes are excellent..very little settlement on the bottom of the glass and melt at just the right speed with a drip fountain..

I've got a box of these in both white and raw (brown), and I like that they dissolve very slowly, leaving little sediment. I prefer a half cube in some Absinthes, and these allow me to pull that off without the cube just disintegrating like the Imperials do.

4177rZnjd3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I've got a box of these in both white and raw (brown), and I like that they dissolve very slowly, leaving little sediment. I prefer a half cube in some Absinthes, and these allow me to pull that off without the cube just disintegrating like the Domino ones do.

4177rZnjd3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Excellent, curious which do you prefer..the white or the Raw(brown)?

Why! That sounds like a side-by-side just waiting to happen! I'll post back in a bit. Currently, I just use white in my blanches and raw in my vertes. I will test both tonight on some CLB, for the sake of knowledge!

:cheers:

Why! That sounds like a side-by-side just waiting to happen! I'll post back in a bit. Currently, I just use white in my blanches and raw in my vertes. I will test both tonight on some CLB, for the sake of knowledge!

Excellent Thank you...!!

So, since knowledge is power, we set up a little test. We used Roland's Rough-Cut Demerara Sugar Cubes, of both the white and raw variations.

DSC01282.jpg

Don't tell my dentist, but I tasted each in their cube form, just by biting a bit off the cube. The whites taste like table sugar, while the raw has a molasses flavor.

DSC01285.jpg

Each variation was placed atop a glass with a dose of blanche (CLB53), for illustrative purposes, and the drip was started.

DSC01301.jpg

Immediately, the color change in the two was noticeable. There was more swirling visible in the white cup on the left. The raw cube seemed to cloud more evenly.

DSC01311.jpg

Mid-louche.

DSC01331.jpg

Fully louched.

DSC01323.jpg

The remains. (Please pay no mind to the Mr. Bubble in the background). There was a bit more of the raw cube remaining after drip, even though it was the smaller of the two before this experiment began. There was much more sediment at the bottom of the white glass, and next to none in the raw glass.

DSC01332.jpg

The difference in the taste of the two is astounding. Hard to even believe they are the same liquor. The white has a much sweeter flavor than the raw, but the aroma seems to be masked by the white much more than the raw. The small of the raw was much more true to the control (no sugar), of which I am more familiar. The sweetness imparted by the raw seemed to be much more mellow, a better blending flavor, but no doubt it muddles up the appearance. If you can get over this downside, I'd say it's the way to go.

A friend introduced me to Domino sugar cube dots. The dots work perfect for me as I do like a little bit of sugar, but a whole cube is too much for me.

A friend introduced me to Domino sugar cube dots. The dots work perfect for me as I do like a little bit of sugar, but a whole cube is too much for me.