Spoon evaluations

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Daegul

Daegul

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:18 PM

I find myself with some absinthe en route but no spoon; having given my starter glasses and 1st spoon to my brother for his 21st birthday. I had a Le Fee spoon and really enjoyed the design (I realize it's not an authentic reproduction, but I'm more form and function than a traditionalist), but couldn't help notice there was always a decent amount of sugar that had settled to the bottom by the time I'd finished half a glass.

This might well have been due to the lack of anything decent to pour the water with (measuring cups just don't seem to work well), but my lack of experience leaves me unable to point to the cause.

Has anyone here made use of that spoon and found it lacking in function? If so what others of fancy (and probably non-traditional) design would you recommend?
"My experiences with my fellow men have proven to me that very, very few of them would be willing to listen; and of those few who listen even fewer would be willing to act on what they have listened to; and of those who are willing to act even fewer have enough personal power to profit by their acts." -D.J.

#2 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:54 PM

Honestly, I think it's par for the course with any spoon. There's always sugar residue in the bottom of the glass. You could use simple syrup....but then you wouldn't need a spoon.

It was a sad day when I realize I preferred unsweetened absinthe. Now all my spoons are strictly for show. :cheers:

#3 Daegul

Daegul

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:30 PM

[gratuitous quote removed by admin]

Poor Brooks!

But thanks, that answered more than one question; but I think I'll skip the simple syrup, spoons are more fun! :cheers:
"My experiences with my fellow men have proven to me that very, very few of them would be willing to listen; and of those few who listen even fewer would be willing to act on what they have listened to; and of those who are willing to act even fewer have enough personal power to profit by their acts." -D.J.

#4 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:50 PM

Like Brooks I don't use sugar except on rare occasion. Unlike Brooks I keep buying spoons. I read somewhere here in the Forum, that sugar doesn't dissolve well at all in alcohol. The dripping water dissolves most of it before it hits your Absinthe. But I think when using sugar there's always a little "sweet sludge" at the bottom of the glass :twitchsmile:
""Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life,define yourself."

Harvey Fierstien

#5 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

I use no sugar but when guests are expected, simple syrup is the way to go. Keep buying spoons though. They make for a nice display. B)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#6 Daegul

Daegul

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

Heh, perhaps someone who perfers sugar will jump in here. :tongue:

Thanks for the responses though. :thumbup:

#7 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:59 PM

I must admit that I have and still occasionally use an old tea strainer. It slows the flow of water into the glass, as I work by carafe, and it catches undissolved sugar for use in another glass, or to stir in after the louche depending on how much sugar I want.

It looks similar to this: Posted Image

It works, but it's nowhere near authentic.
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#8 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,969 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

I use sugar. No matter which spoon I use, there is sugar residue at the bottom <pause> until I gently stir the hell out of it with my spoon!

#9 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:27 PM

When I first started drinking absinthe I'd use some Splenda, which dissolves much better than sugar. But eventually I found that I liked it better without anything at all.

In the grand scheme of things I'm kind of glad, as I've seen some beautiful but expensive spoons out there that I'd be tempted to buy if I thought I would use them.

#10 Daegul

Daegul

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:29 PM

Well more good advice all-round! Though I think that people might regret having been talked into trying absinthe if I put a colander on top of their glass. :twitchsmile:

#11 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

Here ya go: http://www.oxygenee....-buy/kirk1.html

#12 Daegul

Daegul

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:40 PM

You are evil, taunting me with $300 spoons that look so nice! :devil:

I had my suspicions with the Splenda thing, this cinches it!

#13 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:58 PM

Well more good advice all-round! Though I think that people might regret having been talked into trying absinthe if I put a colander on top of their glass. :twitchsmile:

Haha! Yes, agreed! It's definitely small enough to fit over a glass, but it does smack of a produce-rinsing container.
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#14 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:02 PM

A couple of those spoons have holes that look too large, like they will allow big pieces to fall through. Looks nice, but may not be practical.
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns
"Leave the gun. Take the Rossoni" - Peter Clemenzza
"Give me wormwood, or give me death!" - Patrick Henrry
"I find your lack of louche....disturbing" - James Earl Jjones
"No maceration without distillation!" - Reverend Jonathan Mayhhew
"It is by absinthe alone I set my mind in motion" - Frank Herrbert

#15 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:48 PM

So as nobody answered your question yet, here you go.
Simple, traditional, functional, and one of the mostly used because of its 'furrow' (not sure of the translation for the sort of gutter in the middle).

Edit: I can't post the direct link but this is spoon #10

#16 Daegul

Daegul

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:08 AM

That link did bad things. But I think I know the one you are talking about...has a tiny hold on the handle end of the "gutter"?

Thanks though! :thumbup:

#17 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:02 AM

There's a word filter that adds "default.aspx?Affiliate=1". when you try to enter the web address for La Maison de Absinthe.

http://www.lamaisond...px?Affiliate=1/

Has the Museum of Absinthe considered making some nice reproductions of the spoons and grilles in their collection? I'm assuming that they have some that aren't of the usual styles.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#18 hectma

hectma

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:08 AM

You're taking the wrong approach to the issue. The leftover sugar at the bottom of the glass is the best part. It's like la religieuse. ;)
“I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there.” -- Charles Bukowski

#19 Daegul

Daegul

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:17 PM

Thanks DP, I see it now. I had thought M was referring to this one:
http://www.absinthef...om/produit/1260

which has the "drain" at the handle end of the "gutter". How do those 2 bits function? If I had to pick one of the ones on the site M linked I'd say the single leaf design strikes my fancy. It wouldn't hurt me(much) to have extra spoons for guests; if that one is as serviceable as the fleches one I may be picking up the leaf.

Hec, you'll have to explain what nunneries have to do with sugar at the bottom; I don't read French literature! :tongue:

#20 hectma

hectma

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

It's a term used for the cheese that hardens at the bottom of a fondue pot. It forms a delicious, cracker-like cheese munch-able. Also called la croute. It's the best part about fondue.

Now I've got a hanker for a hunka, a slab a slice or chunka, a hanker for a hunka cheese.
“I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there.” -- Charles Bukowski

#21 Daegul

Daegul

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:57 PM

And now I have schoolhouse rock tunes dancing in my head...thanks for that. :twitchsmile:

#22 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:31 PM

Be a man, use sugar. ™

http://www.oxygenee....nk/ritual4.html
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns
"Leave the gun. Take the Rossoni" - Peter Clemenzza
"Give me wormwood, or give me death!" - Patrick Henrry
"I find your lack of louche....disturbing" - James Earl Jjones
"No maceration without distillation!" - Reverend Jonathan Mayhhew
"It is by absinthe alone I set my mind in motion" - Frank Herrbert

#23 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:19 AM

Extraits that are flawed somehow will benefit from using one sugar cube to add little body to herbal notes of wormwood or earthy notes of calamus/angelica or just to sweeten the drink a bit, not counting louche enhancement, but on the other hand if the drink defends its quality when served sans sucre-the traditional way™, it is not only good for itself, but for the benefits of the drinker as well.

If absinthe is flawed by being too sweet (a modern heresy) despite being a tonic in the first place, adding sugar would ruin the whole fun instantenously and personally with these I would steer from adding even 1/5 of sugar but cube away, rather increase the water-ratio.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#24 Daegul

Daegul

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:41 AM

Just a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down?

#25 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:32 AM

or Vice Versa......?
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#26 Daegul

Daegul

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:45 AM

No lack of reasons to drink absinthe eh? :cheers:

#27 Daegul

Daegul

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:15 AM

I decided to do a little experiment. I took 3 different spoons, 2 different absinthes and lined up 6 glasses; in order to discount as much as possible variations in humidity and temperature, I had to do this in 1 evening...but I was willing to make the noble sacrifice.

The 2 brands I used were Kübler 53 and La Muse Verte; I wanted to see how much variation there was based on just the brand, or at least blanche vs. verte.

Here's the lineup; poke fun of my antique cocktail glasses if you must, but the topmost line demarks 1.5 oz perfectly (and hey, they are vaseline glass) :twitchsmile: :
Half-dozen

Here are the spoons; topmost is #10, the middle one is a La Fee brand spoon (I like the eye, what can I say), and the bottom one is #17:
Bork! Bork! Bork!

I wish the photos were a bit better quality, but my webcam is all I have to work with:

Kübler + #10:
K10

Kübler + La Fee:
KLF

Kübler + #17:
K17

Verte + #10:
V10

Verte + La Fee:
VLF

Verte + #17:
V17

Result:
I didn't note a big difference between #10 and the La Fee, but there was noticeably more sugar left by the #17.

#28 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:41 AM

So maybe I'm missing something here, but unless, like Hectma, you enjoy the sugar residue at the bottom of the glass, why would you not just stir the contents of your glass once the louching is done?

And in that case your choice of spoon would not so much depend upon functionality, but simply rugged good looks?
If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

Beware La Machine à décerveler! Oops, too late ...

#29 Daegul

Daegul

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

I do stir. What's left at the bottom is after a nominal amount of stirring; leaving whatever remained to settle of the photos, since once the sugar has made it into the glass it becomes much more difficult to get it to dissolve. And I'm not much on several minutes of stirring to try and compensate for this. :tongue:

#30 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,794 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:12 AM

If you don't want residue, you could always use simple syrup, or a different type of sugar cube.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association