Mat B.

Alcohol content-based shipping restrictions?

I was reading the pointless controversy thread and when it came to the topic of Marteau (and its US release being of different recipe) I realized that I never re-ordered any after my Mansinthe-for-Marteau shipping mix-up. So to finally get to the point I was placing an order and decided to nab a bottle of Jades Edouard on impulse. During check-out, I got this message:

>>We're terribly sorry, but we have to delete

- Article: Jade Absinthe Edouard Alcohol level: 72%

from your shopping cart

We recently learned that our courier no longer transports liquors above 70% alcohol - because it's regarded as, hazardous goods.

>>

Absinthe? Hazardous? Come on! Darn couriers…

I’ve omitted the website in the event that would become an issue with anyone: no qualms over it- I just hadn’t know these restrictions have come around. Has anyone else had this problem?

The restrictions are true. I don't know if it was the European or stateside flying monkeys that have the restriction. My guess is it is the stateside monkeys, or they would not be able to sell the Jades at all, if they could not ship it around the EU.

I think most airlines have rules which don't allow alcohol over 140 proof in your checked luggage. This is a TSA regulation.

Looks like it is an EU regulation as well.

Buffalo Trace makes a whiskey called George T. Stagg which regularly clocks in over 140 proof. It is nicknamed "Hazmat" by whiskey aficionados for this reason.

Sucks, but it could be that it has occurred to them to start enforcing this on packages as well.

~Erik

I’ve got to do a bit of research into the carrier, I think it was DHL but I can’t say for certain just yet. But if the restrictions on higher-content alcohols do in fact prohibit shipments, then I wonder a few things:

1) Will it stay at alcohols of 70%? or greater. Could it spread to other couriers?

2) How will this affect internet based sales? Translate- product availability.

3) Does this seem to lead to other loopholes that may prevent absinthe from reaching the public(s) easier?

*edit:I say publics, for different market bases and countries

Hazmat by air is very dangerous and expensive - especially when caught with undeclaired hazmat.

Your money is now my money

70% alchohol has been listed for quite a while.

Current regs

Less than 1% of all shipments are searched/verified. Shippers take the risk of losing their carrier and legal action if caught.

Most of the finds are because of leakage/poor packaging.

Carry on is hazmat also and if caught and Uncle Sam wants to example you, well it wont be cheap....

If you must carry undeclaired, please package it well so when the carry on rock collection is thrown on top of your backpack by turbulence the precious fluid will not escape and run onto the top of a hot lighting ballast and ignite creating a fire on the airplane (and probably over your head/seat) :blowup:

This has happened.

70 degree booze burns just as well as 72 degree. Seems arbitrary to me. Besides, how does Everclear get anywhere except by truck? Last I checked ships do still go from Euro-land to the USA, so if you're willin' to wait a bit....

Good reads, Rabelais- thanks. What caught me off guard was all my previous orders that never seemed to have a problem, regardless of alcohol content. Interesting :)

Buffalo Trace makes a whiskey called George T. Stagg which regularly clocks in over 140 proof. It is nicknamed "Hazmat" by whiskey aficionados for this reason.

It is available in here, but the price is a real put-off=almost 900zl (circa 450USD or 280 EUR) for just 70cl :thumbdown:

Well I just placed my order for L' Italienne and La Coquette. I certainly hope the latter doesn't have a problem making it's way here. That would ruin my week.

If there is a problem let us know. I'm considering placing another order and including La Coquette, but I don't want to if it's going to be deleted from my order.

I don’t think it will encounter any problems. With the amount of proprietors and couriers out there and people still getting their products, I think my experience was something brief, fleeting and only with GLS. I have ben wrong before however [knock on wood]

If there is a problem let us know. I'm considering placing another order and including La Coquette, but I don't want to if it's going to be deleted from my order.

The monkeys just arrived with my order, no hitches. I assume it was just one of those rare cases of bad luck then.

Can't wait to try these new absinthe's.