Nouveau

Paris on Australian SBS television

This was the absinthe at the Soirée that everyone kept over-watering because they were waiting for it to louche... in vain.

I don't detect any anise, maybe it's hidden behind the overwhelming mint. It's too bitter for a proper absinthe also.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the French automatically know about absinthe by birthright. In many ways, they're behind Americans when it comes to understanding what absinthe is and was.

This quote directly above from Hiram is only too true after watching the third part of a series on Paris screened on TV. Unfortunately the preview here cuts off just short of Sandrine Voillet, the guide, as she enters Au Lapin Agile in Montmartre and shows us, in a 30 second slot, how to drink absinthe. To our horror she whips out a bottle of what looks like bluish Hills and, yes you guessed it, progresses to pour it over the sugar cube and set it alight.

This was such a disappointment as the whole series was quite good on the whole and credited as being made in 2007. It seems that even the Czech marketing has infiltrated the source which of course I realise is just a tourist trap now along with the Moulin Rouge.

Big sigh....so I brace myself :twitchsmile: for more stupid comments as a new week starts and people say to us... but the French burn it... we saw it on tele on SBS and it was a French program! Any excuse here for everyone to keep satisfying their pyromaniac tendencies when they see green alcohol.

You can just tell them that "Bohemian style absinth is available even in France. She was going by the Bohemian ritual. That is nothing like the authentic French preparation."

An easy way to get people to differentiate in their heads between Authentic absinthe and 'other' types. :cheers:

Hi Shabba, yes she was displaying the Bohemian style because that was the what they were focussing on... Bohemianism of La Belle Époque and speaking of the artists who frequented the Lapin. As far as we know though, no 'bohemians' actually burnt their absinthe in Paris did they? Or did they? It was just a shame that they did not show an authentic preparation.

We are constantly educating customers, both trade and public, in traditional preparation. Just always makes it a bit harder each time when a French program only focuses on the 'Bohemian' ritual. I love my purist soapbox :)

Discussed on Fée Verte, almost a year ago. It seems it takes a long time for British TV shows to get down there.

If only we could introduce a similar delay (or, preferably, even longer) for some of the Australian shows we get here .... :devil:

Ah! Alan, I remember reading that post last year at FV, did not connect the two though. Thanks for that.

Yep, out of sight, out of mind down here. Although at least it is not New Zealand. I wish we had the delay here as well for Australian shows... they are all cringe factor viewing.