I can understand why they would call it a shot. I mean by volume, one ounce, it's about the same as other liquor shots. But more importantly, calling it a dose definitely gives it a medicinal air. You might get people checking their cholesterol pill bottles for interaction warnings :poke:

Might as well sell it in cc's. Stat.

They could have said "serving". I'm really nitpicking here, but we do have to be careful. We have to eradicate all traces of myth and negativity. Although, that opens another line of thought... if someone goes to a bar and orders a shot of pacifique, no louche, straight up... does the bartender try to explain to them the "proper way", or give him the shot? What if they persist? That's another question for another thread...

I would hope the barkeep would tell them that's not really the way to do it. I mean, as far as charging goes, they're really only going to charge for the absinthe. The water seems like it would be a freebie.

I mean, they can't rightly say, "that'll be $15 for a glass of absinthe" because it's not really a whole glass or anything. But i could see how "$15 for a serving of absinthe" would work nicely here, as opposed to "shot of absinthe."

Serving in shots could also exacerbate the fire issue. Although, I do love watching some college kid on youtube light his face on fire by trying to drink a shot glass full of flaming spirits, so perhaps there's a silver lining.

But I digress. I liked the article a lot, especially in comparison to that WSJ article. Sheesh.

In Jamie's (the bartender) defense. I believe that the photographer had him pour an extra large dose because it will show up on camera much better. I had a TV crew come by last summer and when I first poured it, they had to have a larger dose so it would show up much better on video. At Tini Bigs (the bar where the video was shot) never does the flaming absinthe thing, and does not sell absinthe in shooters. Keep in mind that unless you are a real absinthe snob, you're not going to know to call it a "dose" as opposed to calling it a "shot."

I'll admit to being an absinthe snob, but I don't use the word dose. Where I'm from, the word dose is practically synonymous with LSD.

I like "dose." It reminds one that the herbs contained in the drink have some medicinal qualities: most commonly aiding digestion.

I'm happy to see the article focus on supporting local businesses, and some of the hurdles they may face.

It took years to replicate, with the Bernhards and their friends trying different recipes and ingredients, sampling the result and trying again. While they honed their absinthe-making skills, the liquor became legal. Or, more accurately, everyone realized that absinthe never should have been illegal. It was banned for decades because it was believed to have much higher levels of a chemical called thujone than it had.

You know, not to keep going back to that WSJ article, but leave it to the Seattle Times to show them how to properly research a topic before writing on it.

The objectivity and neutrality of the ST article is a little bit slanted because of the nature of a hometown newspaper, but even looking at it within that context, it's still a good piece. I think it really captured the enthusiasm of the local scene as a reaction to the new distilleries and their associated products, and I think it also accurately captured the dedication to the craft on the part of the distillers.

Obviously, THIS is the kind of press that will be good for the industry as a whole, and as a side-note, absinthe specifically.

I like "dose." It reminds one that the herbs contained in the drink have some medicinal qualities: most commonly aiding digestion.

Well said.

Danke. :cheers: This history makes me particularly interested in the Roquette series.

Back on topic: at our mini-gathering in Beantown, it was said Pacifique could be considered the center of the absinthe circle, from which one could branch out in different directions to explore the variations on absinthe.

I like "dose."

I would also like another, dos is not two too many. :cheers:

Zman. Marc. Mr Bernhard, you have given us something wonderful. Thank you very, very much for Pacifique. It's absolutely marvelous!

More publicity, way to go Zman!

Hey, Seeker, why not expound on your thoughts by sharing a review of that marvelous libation? :cheers:

Sure thing Absomphe :laugh: Just don't laugh, when I say it's uh green and uh tastes good. Really I must say though that my favorite thing about Pacifique, besides the drink itself, is on the label, CAUTION: Pacifique should not be ignited. In addition to spoiling the fine nuances of herbal flavor, there is a risk of accidental fire and injury :thumbup:

What does someone who insists on lighting Pacifique on fire deserve? Hmmm, in my book they don't even deserve to be in the same room- "sir, we're bringing out the good absinthe, so we'll have to ask you to put the matches away and leave". ;)

Now that Washington State liquor store #101 is out of stock (man those 36 bottles sure did go fast), the wait begins for them to switch to regular inventory.

For those you folks who are local (or near local) we are pleased to announce the inaugural gourmet Pacific Distillery dinner with paired cocktails featuring Pacifique Absinthe Verte Superieure and Voyager Single-Batch Distilled Gin from Woodinville, WA. This event will be next Tuesday, June 16, 2009 starting at 6:00PM. For a mere $50 (five courses, premium cocktails, not including tax and gratuity) you will be able to enjoy the unique and adventurous collaboration of Chef Rocky of Prohibition Grille and Master Distiller Marc Bernhard. We will begin with a brief overview of the menu and then continue with insights into each course pairing, while also allowing for interaction with the guests as the evening progresses. The educational opportunity and gastronomic offerings will surely prove to be an experience to be treasured for years to come! Due to a limited number of available spaces, we encourage you to immediately call our gracious hosts:

PROHIBITION GRILLE

1414 Hewitt Ave.

Everett, WA 98201 RSVP @ 425.258.6100

http://www.prohibitiongrille.com/

As usual, any questions may be directed to us- we look forward to your response! Many thanks for your continued support

For those of you in the Seattle area and are looking to celebrate Bastille Day, on July 14 at the Columbia Tower Club (at the top of the Columbia Tower) is hosting a Bastille Day absinthe tasting. We'll be pouring Pacifique in the traditional manner along with a few absinthe-containing cocktails.

http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/2979084/

http://www.clubcorp.com/club/scripts/secti...B&SUBGRP=15

Just noticed, for those of you in Washington State, that Pacifique is now less expensive than Lucid and Pernod "absinthe." Washington just really goosed the booze tax last month, and we dropped our wholesale price to keep the retail price the same.

Just noticed, for those of you in Washington State, that Pacifique is now less expensive than Lucid and Pernod "absinthe."

Just add "What is" before "How do you define irony?" to play this one next time in Jeopardy.