I love you guys, but you're killing the intent of this topic.

To shill?

Seriously, thanks to G&C, a bottle of Pacifique arrived.

I'd gotten bottles in the past, but Pacifique hadn't quite found herself yet... so I never really commented.

Much more body, richer louche and mouthfeel... better angelica notes that sang a bit higher.

Good stuff, Z!

Now bring back the milk of the Jura.

Raised my pontalier glass to eye level in front of a light. I watched as my dripper did it's thing. Now I know what the hoopla is all about. Awesome! Now I'm sipping and smiling. :)

After my less than stellar intro to absinthe with Grande Absente, I stumbled on the WS, and read reviews for various absinthes. Pacifique was one of the ones carried at DUNY, and so I ordered it. Pacifique is what introduced me to real absinthe, and had it not been for this, I likely would not have tried again. It is truly a wonderful absinthe, and I often use it to introduce my new guests to absinthe at the monthly parties. It always gets a smile, and people say "wow, this is good!" We are lucky to have such a great absinthe, so nicely priced, and so available, to help spread the word in the right way!

The NY hill country one. Nice lady, she even postponed shipping so we would be here from vacation.

Who is Hiram? I keep seeing people mentioning the name, but all I can think of is Machu Pichu.

The Boss, Gwydion Stone. He used to have that as his handle before the great revelation when dozens of WS'ers threw off their super hero identity, and wanted to be called plain Janes. Or Joes. He is the one who started it. :twitchsmile:

Speaks a dozen languages, has contacts in every city from here to the Sudan, knows every custom, he'll blend in, disappear. With any luck, he's got the preban already.

Ah. That explains some if what I've seen elsewhere. His real name is much cooler name anyway.

I always try to use the same name my dad saddled me with. It does help that the church I went to as a kid had a mosaic of St. Michael kicking butt.

A new bottle came in yesterday, and it's been about 6 months since I bought a bottle, as I've nursed the last one slowly. I don't know if this is from the latest batch, but it is the finest bottle of Pacfique I've had. (All have been very good). It is simply amazing.

Damn fine work Mr. Z.

New bottle. Neat this is so green I feel like Tommy Chong. The taste and louche are awesome, same for the aroma. Absinthe goodness.

Neat this is so green I feel like Tommy Chong.

Funny, the bottles of Pacifique I've had (including a very recent example) have always been a lovely, but subtle shade of pale to medium peridot.

A bit fresher? The taste is awesome as usual. But the color is greener than my first bottle which was yellowish green. The aroma is about the same. A light green, but green for sure on the new one. Louched up it had a green hue, and the louche seemed thicker. Granted I used less water than normal cause I wanted to really taste it.

Funny, the bottles of Pacifique I've had (including a very recent example) have always been a lovely, but subtle shade of pale to medium peridot.

The two bottles I purchased about a year and half ago had almost no coloring whatsoever -- save for the faintest shade of yellow. The louche was very, very thin and would barely tolerate anything over a 2:1 water ratio. The taste was pleasant enough, but again, only if prepared rather undiluted.

Perhaps you should go for two more.

There was a problem with a run, or so, back then, but that was fixed quite awhile ago, and Pacifique has gotten better, and better over the last year and a half. It's a very different critter now, much richer, and with a much fuller louche and flavor that really does the pre-ban Montpelier style proud. The hyssop and angelica are particular standouts, but the overall flavor is pretty seamless, and quite wonderful.

Perhaps you should go for two more.

Not likely. I would love to try the 'new and improved', but the cost to take the chance is difficult to justify.

The bottle I bought from DrinkUpNY was damn near-immaculate. I can kinda see your point...but then I've tasted recent runs of Pacifique and will not be going without it in the future.

And honestly, color and louche aside, if it tastes good...why does it even matter?

And honestly, color and louche aside, if it tastes good...why does it even matter?

The color thing isn't a big deal, but when the louche is weak the mouth feel tends to be thin and lessens the 'flavor' experience. Again, tasty enough, but not 'magic' to me at all.