• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#781 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:57 AM

This was my experience with my last bottle about 2 years back - very, very thin. Sadness.

#782 hdtv00

hdtv00

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:53 AM

That suck's. The first glass there was 5-10% louche was next to nothing. 2nd glass looked like it was better but when finished it was thin thin. I know louche varies but jesus I swear something is wrong. Because seriously I came back to read this thread. Look at the reviews. Very high rating , even louche is 8 or 9 from people. This is not anywhere near close to what's in my bottle. They aren't dated either so I can't tell from when it was made.

Beyond shocked at the contrast between whats reviewed here and whats in my bottle. I waited a very long time to finally try it and just saddened it's turned into what I have sitting here. I don't think it taste right either. Not from the reviews I read here which I trust above anything/anywhere else.

Tried blanchette(80/100)/Nouville Orleans(review pending)
Yet to open rest of the Jades and Lucid

#783 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

Yeah could be. How's it taste? I can live with a more translucent louche so long as it tastes good. The first suvage was like that. Poor louche in terms of opacity but really good taste.
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#784 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

I don't want FOP, god dammit, I'm a Dapper Dan man!

• Bronze Member
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

Good point, because taste is what really matters. L'Italienne was like that also, but tastes wonderful.
The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  
and the sad silent song made the hour twice as long,
as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#785 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,122 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

What they said.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#786 hdtv00

hdtv00

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

Ok there are two of us here with a long history of absinthe drinking and we are BOTH wondering what happened .

#787 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

• Bronze Member
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:25 AM

You still haven't said how it tastes. Was the flavor weak and thin like the lounge?
Did you try adding a little water slowly and then more. Some absinthe that louche thinly with a slow drip will do better with a more aggressive fast splash effect. Like L'entite.

#788 hdtv00

hdtv00

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

I've never had it before so I don't know if it tastes right or not. From reading the reviews from here I'd have to say no , something is not right with it.

I know absinthes louche can be totally different brand to brand and what not. But reading reviews of it here louche wise and taste I feel something might not be right with my bottle of it.

#789 hdtv00

hdtv00

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:50 PM

Update just heard from Marc via phone, and he'll send out replacement bottle and I'll send this back so they can test it. I just swear for the life of me this bottle isn't right.

#790 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

Cool. I never got that courtesy when I complained about my bottle so congrats. Glad Marc is getting better at customer satisfaction.
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#791 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:41 PM

*that* is some service!

#792 hdtv00

hdtv00

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

Since I've never had it I can't say if something is wrong with it , other than the louche. But go read the reviews here and the comments. They were giving this 9/10 for louche, when mine is maybe 2/10. The taste doesn't seem like anything anyone would want to be drinking either. So I'll report back when I taste the replacement.

I do hope I haven't caused all this drama just because I don't like the taste of it. But after reading all the reviews here and what not I still swear that just can't be it. It's supposed to be good if not great product.

Oh I can't remember if I'd said but another reason I think it might be my bottle is several years ago I had a bad bottle of Jade I think it was VS 1898. They sent replacement bottle of that but when I got the new bottle yep it was totally my bottle and it was back to its normal taste. See it didn't louche at all either really. It was fears ago when it was like -40 and I left the poured non louched glass out side in the snow and that cold and it did louche finally after 10 minutes of being out in that, but it never did taste right. Soem strange totally off bitterness to it.

Edited by hdtv00, 08 February 2017 - 06:55 PM.

#793 hdtv00

hdtv00

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

Ok update the new bottle did arrive. And well while it doesn't taste as strong gross as the old one did to me , it's still is awful to me. Now when I say gross , I mean GROSS/DISGUSTING.

However maybe I've figured out why. Cause when I drink it , seriously I wonder how and why in the hell would anyone try and sell anything that taste like that, well as I said maybe this is the answer. My friend who talked to Marc on phone about it says he mentioned it had cilantro in it. Well while I knew there were things that this could happen with I've never knowning ate cilantro in my life and never knew Pacifique has it in it. Well turns out 20% of the population due to a genetic defect find the taste of cilantro gross , they refer to it as tasting like soap. So while Marc never said that to me about it containing cilantro I take my friends word for it. And would go a LONG way to explain why I find this absinthe to be well gross. Beyond gross. Here is link referring to the study and findings.

http://gizmodo.com/5...-hating-genetic

Crazy huh. But it sure explains a LOT. I couldn't for the life of me reading reviews here raving about it , yet it tasting the way I find it to taste. I'm willing to leave it there and not talk bad about the product anywhere from here on out. And it was a solid this Marc did. But man I mean I guess he had been making the product before the study but has to suck making a product with cilantro in it that out of the gate that 20% of people who taste it will find it disgusting.

#794 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

• Bronze Member
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:30 AM

Cifuckinglantro? In absinthe? Seriously?

#795 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:32 AM

I'm sure we're talking coriander here, which, of course, is not at all uncommon in absinthe.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#796 hdtv00

hdtv00

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:16 PM

Oh sorry yea I meant coriander , as they both cause issue with the genetic defect. So the same 20% will still find it gross. I was beyond tired when I got home last night and typed the wrong one although it applies to both coriander and cilantro.

#797 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

• Bronze Member
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:25 AM

Oh sorry, I was beyond tired when I got home last night and typed the wrong one .

5 times, even. And a link.

#798 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:49 AM

Oh sorry yea I meant coriander , as they both cause issue with the genetic defect. So the same 20% will still find it gross. I was beyond tired when I got home last night and typed the wrong one although it applies to both coriander and cilantro.

First of all, I'm not so sure I would ever refer to a genetic variation of this type as a defect (unless, of course, your mission in life is to judge salsa competitions).

Second, it seems to me that the next logical move would be to try some fresh cilantro and some coriander seeds to see if you have the same perception. It's actually hard for me to believe anyone would be of drinking age who would not have encountered this in the past.

And finally, I've been reading this forum, including older threads and posts, for about 10 years now. I can't recall ever having read an account as extreme as yours. If it is sensitivity to that plant (usually the aldehyde chemicals), your condition has got to be far beyond 1 in 5.

#799 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,122 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Some people do, in fact, find cilantro to have a soapy flavor.

Coriander, in fact, not so much...as in, not at all.

Please do not attempt to cover your arse so poorly, it smacks of a Bretbart News™ alternative factoid™. :rolleyes:                                                                   ™

Edited by Absomphe, 12 March 2017 - 01:27 PM.

#800 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

I know my mind works in mysterious ways sometimes, but all I can think about right now is the next time Little Johnny uses the word "fuck", then hearing his mother say "you say that again and I'll wash your mouth out with cilantro!".

Maybe it's the G-Bot I just had.

#801 hdtv00

hdtv00

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

No Clown , the same defect affects Coriander in people just like cilantro. Fact. They are a very closer related plant/herb. And I got them switched because I looked up so much info on the topic and the two of them. That and I've never had Coriander ever far as I know. I'm only familiar with cilantro, which doesn't taste like soap or whatever to me at all.

I have no idea if this is the reason all I know Pacifique to me is the hands down grossest thing I've ever had in my mouth ever. I literally cringe when I try to drink it.

#802 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,122 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

Well, perhaps, your palate is just the odd palate out.

I can understand if Pacifique is not your particular cup of meat tea absinthe, but for you to claim it's the grossest thing you've ever had in your mouth, tells me your a troll.

End of story, yet again.™.*

*And, for the record, I seriously doubt that I'd want to hear about the second grossest thing you've ever had in your mouth. :harhar:

Edited by Absomphe, 13 March 2017 - 01:39 PM.

#803 hdtv00

hdtv00

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

Of course its odd palate out the defect only affects 20% of the population. So duh. And that's what I'm trying to say it's not that I just don't like it, smart ass. It's GROSS. It's beyond me just not liking it. And it's not just me the other person on this forum who messaged me also says it tastes the same way, not just bad but GROSS. Like I have no idea why the hell anyone would sell the product to anyone bad.

I've been here over a decade and have tried dozens of absinthes. I'm not being a troll you fucking dick. No wonder the forums dead still filled with a bunch of assholes.

#804 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

Well that escalated quickly.

I guess the part I don't get is that you refer to your "defect", and then you patently call it "gross" without qualification. Seems a little extreme and unfair to me. If you're so convinced it's your defect that's responsible for your perception of this, I think it would only be fair to not speak of it as if the absinthe is defective rather than you.

#805 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,122 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:03 AM

I've been here over a decade and have tried dozens of absinthes. I'm not being a troll you fucking dick. No wonder the forums dead still filled with a bunch of assholes.

Calling you a troll for your "gross" comment cannot be equated to your responding by calling me a "fucking dick" and one of a "bunch of assholes".

Grow up.

Edited by Absomphe, 14 March 2017 - 03:04 AM.

#806 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

Wow! haven't been here in a while...forgot how much fun this place can be! :clap: Hope you all are well!!! 

Edited by redwun, 26 March 2017 - 06:08 PM.

You Know there ain't no Devil that's just God when he's drunk"...Tom Waits

#807 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,122 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:51 AM

Yeah, about as much fun as watching water boil, Red. :wave2:  :cheers:

#808 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

Minx the Monkey

• 3,457 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:10 AM

Hey Red, good to see you. :wave2:

Now twenty people got to squeeze inside the same bathtub, so it ain't all bad.  ~Tank Girl

If you're riding my ass, you'd best be pulling my hair.

#809 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

• Bronze Member
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

What she said!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association