brennivin

Top Shelf Tequila

Thanks for the list and thoughts, Maggie!

This may be slightly OT, but I've never had the pleasure of a mezcal (okay, just the "blue" is OT). I don't even know what to look for, or even if my local booze warehouse carries such a thing! Any recommends?

Mezcal can show you sides of your friends you wish you didn't see. I know thats true of all Booze, and maybe it was the way I was livin' down in Tucson, but I'll stick to Tequila.

Heheh, too true, sir!

Though my use for mezcal would be sipping. In fact I'd sternly reprimand those who would shoot my beloved agave nectar! Well, in my presence, and if it was the good stuff. San sal y limon, por favor. Cabrones.

I don't have much experience with mezcal but my understanding is that it is essentially tequila that has gone through an additional smoking process. Am I correct on this? It was featured on a Thirsty Traveler episode that I unfortunately missed most of. I would like to spend some time in Mexico sampling both tequila and mezcal. Someday......

If the Wikipedia page is correct, mezcal is distilled from any one of the various agave species. I had thought mezcal was from a more specific species than tequila, but it turns out I got it plum backwards.

The mention of a "worm" in the Wikipedia picture is a tad distressing, like herbs distilling in the bottle!

My understanding is that Tequila is Mezcal but Mezcal ain't necessarily Tequila. Like the square and the rectangle.

Tequila, like Cognac, has to be from a specific place to be called Tequila.

Yup, exactly. Not something I'll go out of my way for, now. I wouldn't say no if I had the chance to try some for comparison's sake.

El Tesero is top shelf. No additives, no preservatives and reasonably priced. I still have some Paradiso set back.
You got that right. ET is my favorite, a smooth sipper for sure. I usually add just a titch of cold water to open it up. Paradiso is of another world, so they say.

It's sorta hard to find, but I'd have to say Casa Noble is all over the top too.

Figured I'd revive this thread...

Been hearing a lot about Casa Noble so I'll have to try that (or maybe 4 Copas or 1921 or...) but I started off by trying a couple bottles from Don Fulano, both a blanco and a reposado. They are both very pure expressions of agave, though the reposado is excellent for sipping, while the blanco is a bit boring in that capacity...can't wait to try it in a margarita though (fresh squeezed lime juice, high quality crushed ice, organic agave syrup).

Mezcal is heavily misunderstood - too much of the marketed garbage is "con gusano" ("worm" in the bottle) - but there are currently some stunning bottlings from Del Maguey, Los Danzantes, and a few others that I would pit against the heartiest Islay scotch.

Edited by augustgarage

You have! They call it WWF! :devil:

Man, I just knew those tree- and panda-huggers would turn to something else eventually.

Edit:

Patron silver... Is reminiscent of rubbing alcohol at room temperature, neat.

I have Milagro silver, which has an intense alcohol heat in the nose. It's a bummer because the flavor is quite nice. And I have to admit I really can't stand a liquor on the rocks, so I don't have a comparison. Maybe a cocktail that calls for ice, though I've yet to venture down that long and winding road.

Edited by scuto

Let it sit for a bit and accompany it with Pho with lots of basil and lime. You'll feel invincible as well as satisfied. I know it sounds weird, but I'm told I'm a weird guy.

Herencia de Plata Añejo. Period. If there is something better, please tell me :devil: .

We used to like to have tequila at home, nowadays we are not buying it-one bottle was a matter of minutes between me and my Father, my Mum was taking care of fresh lemons (yes, lemons, not limes). Yet if I were to get some tequila, that would be Herencia. As far as the choice on the shelves is concerned, sadly the 90% is "mixto", so getting real deal is hard and not cheap. Of all the mixtos, Sierra seems to be the most palatable.

For añejo and reposados, I prefer Milagro and Casa Noble to Herencia. El Gran Jubileo and Tres Mujeres añejos kick ass too.

There are also some pechuga tequilas/mezcals that crush any of the above. :thumbup:

It was like Top 5 Cuervo brands and Top 15 Tequila brands, hehe

However, I see that Cuervo has launched a lot in the meantime. the last one I have had was Joven some time ago as something new from their side.

However, I see that Cuervo has launched a lot in the meantime.

Actually, I don't think that any of those products are new. They've all been around for several years. Maybe only in the US market though.

4 Cuervo brands are available in here: Joven, Gold, Especial Reposado and Blanco. These that are mentioned might have never come to Polish market, indeed.

Oh grow up already. It puts hair on yer chest donchya know........ :devil:

I was expecting that comment :laugh: I feel like I grew up the day I decided an alcohol who's heat prevents me from enjoying the flavor is simply not enjoyable. To each his own.

my Mum was taking care of fresh lemons (yes, lemons, not limes).

Tried it. Think it sucks. After visiting the Yucatan for a month I came back lovin' limes. No discussion. :laugh: