Nikolaus

New from Nebraska

Hello all from the center of the country. I had my first absinthe experience tonight. While crude it was effective. Before blowing a bunch of money on imported absinthe and buying all the hardware, I sent my wife to Hy-vee. She returned home with a bottle of Lucid. After reading and researching for a few weeks, I figured this would be an affordable introduction to the spirit. I poured about 1.5 ounces of lucid into a wine glass, added water from a sport drink tipped water bottle to about 3:1. The first glass I sugared through a slotted spoon and louched slowly. I was amazed at the taste and knew I liked it from the first sip. The second glass I didnt sugar, and louched much quicker. I liked it better without the sugar. From the 2 glasses I got a good warm feeling and was really impressed with the results. Does the amount of time adding water make any difference to taste or effects, or do you louche slow for the visual aspects? All and all a very positive experience. :cheers:

Welcome! I've found that the speed of the louche may in fact affect flavor and mouthfeel, but it depends on the absinthe. Some benefit from a slow louche much more than others. Either way, unless you have a well developed palate and know what you're looking for, the differences are so minor that you won't notice.

Like T said, it's subjective. Do your own experimentation and you'll find the speed that you prefer. :cheers:

Welcome! :cheers:

I'm all for a slow louche, but not so slow that it warms up by the time you drink it. A steady, thin stream is sufficient unless you have a fountain, then a rapid drip will do nicely. Just dumping the water in, or worse, filling from the faucet :shock: is right out.

A steady, thin stream is sufficient

Every day I console myself with that fact of life.

Welcome, Nikolaus! :cheers:

welcome01.jpg

Your introduction gives me great hope that we are entering an era where the average American's first Absinthe experience no longer involves Scope-bottle-smuggled-Crapsinth, Bic lighters, or shot glasses.

Good for you for doing some research too!

Howdy!

What part of Nebraska are you in? My girlfriend if from Lincoln.

Absinthe at the Hyvee, I still can't believe it.

I am from Eagle. It is about 10 miles east of Lincoln. I got the Lucid from Hy-Vee at 70th and O street for 63 bucks. Lincolns best liquor store, The Still has Lucid and a pastis variety. I work in Omaha, which is 42 miles to the east. I work in Omaha but shop in Lincoln. Pay is much better in Omaha, but Lincoln is closer to go shopping. I work as a Cadillac mechanic at a Chevy, Hummer, Cadillac dealer. I mainly do heavy engine work, changing cylinder heads, and fixing oil leaks. I do all other types of work, mainly on Cadillacs, but also work on Chevys, Hummers, and other makes in that order. I was exited to get some absinthe for my birthday coming up in November. I figured I would do some research before asking the questions I saw all to often on this forum and the other. After becoming completely overtaken by the urge to try absinthe I had my wife pick up the Lucid. I am hoping there is a better variety of absinthe available localy by my birthday or on DrinkupNY. I thank you for the warm welcome. :cheers: