Gwydion Stone

MARTEAU Absinthe de la Belle Époque

Excellent! :cheers:

Hey Joe!

Can I sweet talk you into going here so we can give a welcome thread of your very own?

I hear ya, Joe :) I realized that I bent protocol a bit, so I rushed right over to the intro section to set things right.

As punishment for insubordination and gross dereliction, I'll consume an entire bottle of LTV. :thumbdown:

(It's been nice knowing you! :laugh: )

There's just no reason to force even the most grotesque enemy to consume but a thimble full of LTV. Really, I'm glad I tasted it just so I know how bad it is and can truly appreciate all the jokes!!!

Any news if any distributors in Texas (Spec's, etc.) will be carrying this anytime soon? Been feeling kinda left out now that DUNY no longer ships down here.

:thumbdown:

There's just no reason to force even the most grotesque enemy to consume but a thimble full of LTV. Really, I'm glad I tasted it just so I know how bad it is and can truly appreciate all the jokes!!!

Bah, LTV ain't that bad. It's just not a good absinthe is all.

Just an FYI for the Seattle area folks. I was in store #28 (12th & E. Pine) today and they had 21 bottles of Marteau in the "special section" towards the front of the store.

:cheers:

I was pleased to be in Seattle for a quick trip this past weekend, where I hit the Zig Zag Cafe and the Liberty Bar. At both places, I ordered cocktails (a Morning Glory @ ZZC, Sazerac @ Liberty) and Marteau was the absinthe they reached for.

Last night I was in a local shop in PDX, and the absinthe section was stocked pretty well with what's available through the OLCC. They had Kübler, LTV, Pernod, St. George, and Marteau. Only the Marteau had low stock. That's a good sign! :cheers:

This is yet another review about Marteau that I can't agree with. Maybe these reviews on the WS site and cockailnerd's are based on prototypes? I'm on my second bottle now, and mine doesn't louche fast. It's quite an interesting show if I give it time (and I got loads of that), so in the end I get a nice looking glass of absinthe. She's a bit finicky, but she gets there, so I'm not complaining on that front. I can only be mystified when I read about a quick louche from the Marteau.

As far as taste. It's been mentioned before about people having a genetic reaction to cilantro and having it taste bad to them, even when used in the smallest amounts. I think I have that with Iris. It's not a soapy taste (like the cilantro thing), it's just......well......terrible tasting to me. After reading on the Marteau site that Iris is a primary ingredient used in London dry style gins, it all came together. I'm pretty sure that's the flavor that I despise in gin. I'm starting to wonder if I have some sort of genetic distaste for Iris, where even in small amounts, it's overpowering to me. To me, the Marteau at 3:1 is an Iris bomb, and completely unbalanced. I can't drink the stuff. I have to water it down to around 4.5:1 before I can drink it. By then, it tastes a bit watered down, but not nearly like what most others would be at that ratio.

Strangely enough, that same Iris flavor that I don't care for, usually tastes fine to me when I use Marteau as a bitters in a cocktail. If I'm making a mixed drink that calls for absinthe, I'm usually reaching for the Marteau. I thoroughly enjoy it that way.

When making anything, it's true that you can't please everyone. I know I'm in the minority on this one, so in that regard, I'd say that the Marteau is indeed a great success. If the same exact recipe were used and no Iris was added, I'd probably be a huge fan.

There's also one thing that I've been wondering. Is the use of Iris traditional for absinthe? I've not had the pleasure of enjoying the variety of pre-ban that others here have, but I've never detected it in the ones that I have had. It's fine with me either way. I don't mind people taking liberties. If everyone used the same ingredients we wouldn't have the amazing variety of choices that we're blessed with. I'm just curious.

Makes sense... the genetic thing, that is. There's not a lot of orris root in there (the more common, but less recognizable) name for it, but enough that if you had a sensitivity to it you'd for sure pick it up.

No prototypes of Marteau were released to the public or sent for review purposes; all bottles released thus far are from the same 1200-liter batch.

I don't believe orris is called for in any of the commonly reproduced absinthe recipes, but I do have a few obscure texts that include it, and of course it was very common in many other spirits. It has a floral taste and fragrance on its own and is almost indistinguishable from violets.

I chose to use it to replace hyssop, which I've been consistently unimpressed with, even my own homegrown. I'm convinced—for now—that the hyssop commonly available to us here isn't the same plant that was used in the pre-ban days. Just a hunch.

For the record, I always recommend 5:1 with Marteau, and sweetened. That gives you a 6 oz, 12% ABV beverage, about the same as a glass of wine.

As far as taste. It's been mentioned before about people having a genetic reaction to cilantro and having it taste bad to them, even when used in the smallest amounts. I think I have that with Iris. It's not a soapy taste (like the cilantro thing),

I have that! To cilantro, that is. Soap is close, but really it kind of tastes like metal to me. If there's not too much of it in whatever I'm eating, I can deal with it, but if it's a primary flavor I dislike it quite much.

I don't believe orris is called for in any of the commonly reproduced absinthe recipes, but I do have a few obscure texts that include it, and of course it was very common in many other spirits.

Not that sure, but might have seen it somewhere, obviously in those, what I call, "proto-absinthe recipes." Will have to check that. However, IMO, orris root is what makes your extrait stand out, at least to me.

I chose to use it to replace hyssop, which I've been consistently unimpressed with, even my own homegrown. I'm convinced—for now—that the hyssop commonly available to us here isn't the same plant that was used in the pre-ban days. Just a hunch.

Although, there is no hyssop in your stuff, I like the hyssopiness that is created by the combination of other ingredients.

For the record, I always recommend 5:1 with Marteau, and sweetened.

I have liked Marteau the best at 1:2.5 sans sucre, but it is my bitter tooth, after all :devil:

Thanks for the reply, G. If there's not much in there, then it must be that my palate is very sensitive to it.

Side Note: Every absinthe I try has a unique thing about it that I will always remember it for. In the case of the Marteau, it's how versatile it is. Depending on my watering ratio, I find many different drinks. Then, when used as a mixer or a bitters, it's another very different thing to me. No other brand has given me so many options. There's a lot of versatility hiding in that bottle.

Well I tried Marteau for the first time and I absolutely love it. Props to Hiram, hopefully we can see it in So Cal soon!

Funny he's not registered here. He's going to be part of this live online cocktail geek chat about absinthe with Hiram and Shabba next Thursday night. I'm planning to catch that.

A long-time lurker I finally broke down and registered, Bill. It was great to meet you the other day in the Mixoloseum chat room. My next reviews will be on Grande Absente (you can imagine how that will go), Pacifique, and La Clandestine.

I hope everyone will join Hiram, Shabba, and Paul Clarke tomorrow night at the Mixoloseum chat room at 7pm EST for a chat on absinthe and all its charms and woes.

http://bar.mixoloseum.com

Cheers!

What's the difference (if any) between Marteau Verte and Belle Epoque? Ijust ordered a bottle of Marteau Verte. Was this made in switzerland?

They're different products, and the Classique is made in Switzerland. The Classique was intended more as a mixer for cocktails and was also just fine to drink the normal way. It's got somewhat of a nontraditional style to it. The Belle Epoque is intended to be a traditional style absinthe.

I'll make sure to send your buddy HeartburnCat a sample, after I swipe the rim of the bottle with my nut sack of course.

Dammit! I had to explain that to Maggie!

:secret2: Um, don't tell her there really isn't an ancient Druid ritual involving a leather bag filled with pecans. Mmm-kay?

Why yes, those very pecans were exactly the nuts I was referring to. What else could I have possibly meant?

That's funny, you don't look Druish.

In honor of me finally receiving my first bottle of Marteau to pair with my Verte Classique! That's just too damn funny! :laf: Luscious Oily Lesbians!! Aha ha aha! Thank you so much.