Gwydion Stone

MARTEAU Absinthe de la Belle Époque

After a long and frustrating struggle, the label for Marteau has finally been given the green light by the TTB and we will begin bottling and labeling as soon as they're printed. I expect Marteau to be available in Oregon within three to four weeks, and we'll be shipping some out around that time as well, so start bothering your liquor stores now.

We took a couple of cases down to Tales of the Cocktail, with a temporary label, and it was very well received indeed.

marteau_final.png

Meanwhile, stocks are running low on the now-collectible Marteau Verte Classique. Gotta get 'em all!

Call me thick, but are you basically saying that now the US Marteau is due to come out, that the Matter distilled Verte Classique will no longer be produced?

That's correct. All Marteau production is being moved to Portland. When the current stock of Verte Classique is gone, that will be it. I do plan to resume making Verte Classique in Portland in the future though.

... as for Marteau, I'm excited about the traditional herb bill. Hiram, I'd love to know how big the batches are and anything you want to share about the equipment you are using. Are the results meeting your expectations?
The results are definitely meeting—nay, exceeding—my expectations. There's always room for growth and improvement, but I'm feeling very encouraged.

As for the equipment and batches, the batches run around 125 liters of finished product and the equipment you can see below. It's a 250 liter, heavy-gauge copper alembic.

Storage area and some barrels

(for scale, those are 5 gal. carboys)

1.jpg

The alembic

2.jpg

Gettin' old school wit' it: rye paste

3.jpg

4.jpg

Lest our friends perceive us to be nationalistic elitists, Czech beer was also served

Distilling is thirsty work.

5.jpg

The first stream of Marteau

6.jpg

Dogs and distilleries go together:

7.jpg

Coloration infusion

8.jpg

Proofing

9.jpg

Tired but happy

10.jpg

Marteau Absinthe de la Belle Époque.

11.jpg

After a long and frustrating struggle, the label for Marteau has finally been given the green light by the TTB

Congratulations again. The TTB listing calls the brand Martau, Absinthe de la Bella Epoque, so it's good to know that Hiram's French is OK after all.

We must compare notes on the TTB sometime. Meanwhile there's an interesting discussion of how the TTB works here. A few references to absinthe.

Congratulations Hiram!

That label is drop dead gorgeous. The Cobalt in the upper banner and from type fonts to the integrity of design it's hands down the most beautiful label for an Absinthe I've seen. This may have been a difficult up hill climb, but it looks like it's and easy stroll from this point on.

Congrats again, on the stunning design and execution. You Absinthe Baron you.

Peter :twitchsmile:

The label is pure class. I am sure what's in the bottle will be. Patiently waiting for it to hit the shelves of DrinkUpNY.

That is just super Hiram, congrats on all of the hard work, hope it is at DUNY very soon and hope you sell many many bottles which I kinda know you will. :cheers:

Thanks everyone. I'm still a bit stunned, but it'll wear off.

The TTB listing calls the brand Martau

They'll wait until he's sold a few under the name Marteau, and then nail him. They've been waiting for someone to fall for this easy ploy.

Hm. Maybe I spelled it rong on the form?

That is just supper Hiram...

New tag line! Marteau: It's not just for breakfast!

Way to go, Dude! :yahoo: :thumbup: :clap:

Just one question...

Does it rankle you, at all, that you're its creator from Seattle, and that it's only going to initially be available in Oregon? :angry2:

That emoticon was aimed at our state controlled alcohol system, and not you, of course! :cheers:

Most hearty congratulatorials, seeing this first thing in the morning makes me happy and amused for many days to come. Beautiful. Wünderschön. Merveilleux!

:worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Big congratulations Hiram, extremely exciting!!! :clap:

Like everyone else said, it's great to see Marteau in the U.S...with a classic and classy label to boot!

:b-day:

Does it rankle you, at all, that you're its creator from Seattle, and that it's only going to initially be available in Oregon? :angry2:

I don't know how Hiram feels, but as a Washington resident, it sure rankles ME! [mumbles]damn draconian WA liqour control board grrrrr :hysterical2:

Congratulations!

Absolutely fantastic news.

Might have to pull in a favor or two from some folks I know in Oregon...

Any word on distribution to other states?

~Erik