La Muse Verte Absinthe Traditionnelle

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#91 ETexas

ETexas

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

Kamal also responded but not with a credit, just a "I'll forward this to . . ." Sounds like you are a more valuable customer (ie., you've bought more than I have) Peter. It would be great to get to the bottom of this, so to speck. My curiosity is extremely piqued about the mysterious black bits!

I recieved the same answer and I have purchased several hundred dollars worth of absinthe from them.

#92 Nikolaus

Nikolaus

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

DrunkupNY is just the dealer. They don't make the stuff. Its cool if there refunding you money for bad product. I personally passed on the product, do to fact its not made to traditional methods ie distillation. In my mind I put it in the same catagory as the La Fee they sell just not artificially colored. Not having drank either, nor want too. Im going to buy some Kübler from them, havnt decided what else to buy to make it 100 bucks yet. Not really interested in St. George, La Fee, Grande Abesente, etc. Obsello has a possiblity but the 50% If im dropping 100 bucks, im not buying 2 50% absinthes. Just waiting, and SLOWLY savering the absinthe I have now until better is available. Wont have to settle on a La Muse Verte, with is a mix maceration. I take that back, St. George seems interesting, but is expensive, and gets mixed reviews, waiting for the manjuice, martau, and Jade products.

Quick edit- Seems when it comes to absinthe YOU DONT ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Edited by Nikolaus, 18 August 2008 - 07:08 PM.

#93 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

I think its important to realize that Drinkupny is the retailer and a small one at that. They're taking quite a leap of Faith IMO and unless the criteria of their return policy has been followed meaning (contacted them the day the order arrived) I think it would be unfair to hold them responsible for credits on bottles unless the report was made within the time frame outlined.

Back to the mysterious black specs. I was thinking that because the black matte finish would most likely be sprayed on the empty bottles some of the paint got inside the bottles and we ended up with the specs.

It's hard for me to believe that the producer had no idea of the problem. Surely they cracked open and poured plenty of bottles for plenty of reasons prior to shipping them out.

If they didn't it's still equally as bad. Like most any business DUNY is dependant on their vendors, they can make or break most any business alcohol related or not. With that in mind I think any frustration should be directed at the producer and not the retailer.
""Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life,define yourself."

Harvey Fierstien

#94 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:25 PM

I personally passed on the product, do to fact its not made to traditional methods ie distillation.
Quick edit- Seems when it comes to absinthe YOU DONT ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

I agree, you don't always get what you pay for. WS is trying to warn the uninformed.

Actually, oil mixes are pretty traditional, too. Granted, distilled is considered higher quality. :cheers:

#95 ETexas

ETexas

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:14 AM

When I contacted DUNY I told them the problem was not their fault but just wanted to give them a heads up. I did not ask them for a refund, it is just curious that a refund would be given for one person and not another.

#96 stringth

stringth

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:21 PM

Like many forum members, I enjoyed this stuff. Next to the other stateside brands I've managed to try La Muse is right up there. I'm afraid I'm just not a production method snob, at least not yet. If'n DUNY wants to give me a refund that's great but what I'm really after is information. Kamal acknowledged that others have made the same complaint so I just hope he can coax something out of the distributor and/or producer. We'll see.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

#97 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:42 PM

We could just send the distiller a pack of coffee filters for Christmas this year, think they'd get the point?

#98 stringth

stringth

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:31 PM

Here ya go kids--from the Distributor:

"LMV Absinthe is an entirely natural product, filtered manually and not mecanically in order to preserve a maximum of flavors in the spirit. Occasionnally, some of the essential oils will form a sediment made of
microscopic black particles ; 2 main occurences : after a drastic temperature change (from fridge to warm room or exposure), or after 2 or 3 years of bottle age. This phenomenon can affect our pastis as well, especially because it contains licorice. That's why we don't recommend these products to be stored in the fridge (says on the absinthe back label to not store in a cold place) and we dont' recommend the product to be stored for many years.

The presence of the sediment as a result of temperature change does not affect the taste and the quality of the product at all. The presence of the sediment as a result of length of age in the bottle does not affect the taste and the quality of the product but the product will taste less fresh just because of its age. I asked Artez to write a more formal letter for your client and I will forward it to you in the next couple of days."

#99 Belarmin

Belarmin

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the follow up, Stringth.

And just when the intrigue was at its height!

#100 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

Well done, Stringth. :cheers:

#101 ETexas

ETexas

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:26 PM

Got the same letter, didn't know it contained licorice.

#102 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:57 AM

They were referring to their pastis as containing licorice.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#103 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:12 AM

Stringth - well done! that's so great you got to the bottom of the spec mystery so we can all stop spec-u-lating. Ugh. :twitchsmile:

I think it's odd that having such a concise and direct explanation the producer wouldn't have a blurb on the bottle or at least make their retailers aware of the potential problem. It's cooled off a lot around here maybe I'll order another bottle. Botto m line is I really like it.

Anyone else planning to order La Muse again?
""Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life,define yourself."

Harvey Fierstien

#104 stringth

stringth

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:09 PM

Ya'll are most welcome--happy to be able to share some info after receiving so much!

Listen-up production snobs--here's a quote from the producer's site on LMV production:
"Absinthe (I'd guess they mean theirs) is produced from the distillation of plants that are first macerated in 85° alcohol with water added."

Isn't it pretty typical to macerate (which I think means to steep the herbs in your alcohol of choice) then distill?

#105 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:31 PM

What you are quoting is correct. You macerate the herbs in 85% alcohol, then add a quantity of water (usually about 1/2 the amount of alcohol of the maceration) and proceed with distillation. After distillation you then bring down to proof (whatever proof the producer wants the absinthe to be sold at) by adding water.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#106 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:35 PM

I thought the La Muse was alright but fairly simple. It's been a couple of weeks but I recall discussing with the Attack Accountant that it seemed pretty heavy on the star anise. I could be wrong and frequently am.

It would be fun to have an oil mix competition. I wonder how La Muse would fare head-to-head with Deva, Lasala, etc... I don't think it'd win the gold medal.

#107 stringth

stringth

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:55 PM

Thanks Zman.

T73, I would say the herbs are nicely balanced. Finished my bottle (with the help of a coffee filter, heh Doc & Peter) and no one thing tasted dominant. Curious to know your source/reasoning re: LMV being an oil mix. My understanding is that the good stuff is macerated, distilled, maybe macerated again for color, then filtered . . . does "oil mixing" fit in here somewhere or is it a different method? Is my newbie showing?

#108 Nikolaus

Nikolaus

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:40 PM

On the La fee verte site. Its classified as a mix/maceration. Most of the good absinthe is listed as distilled. That's my source http://www.feeverte...._muse_verte_68/ I read on another site that it just got a new label for US release but was the same.

#109 Wilson

Wilson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:46 PM

As far as I know, the label change is all it got.

#110 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:47 PM

I assumed it was an oil mix - essential oils added to the spirit. The website describes it as a "macerate" which would suggest the herbs are macerated then filtered, not distilled. I don't know if something was lost in translation but I still suspect there are essential oils being used perhaps in conjunction with maceration. If it was strictly maceration, they didn't use shit for wormwood (take a sip of Angelique to know what I mean).

I thought La Muse was alright. I wouldn't describe it as balanced because it leans so heavily toward the star anise and the wormwood was, well, missing.

#111 Nikolaus

Nikolaus

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:51 PM

T someday I hope to have tried the variety of absinthe you have. My hats off to you. I would love to try a glass, just cant put up the coin for the bottle when I know I can get better as far as I know for the same or less amount of money ie Kübler.
I rely on the reviews and posts on this forum and the other, to decide what to spend my money on.

Edited by Nikolaus, 20 August 2008 - 06:52 PM.

#112 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:01 PM

Be patient. Remember, I'm almost as old as Absomphe who remembers when God wore diapers. I enjoy a glass of Kübler as much now as I did when we first met..... 2 1/2 years ago.

Seriously, this is a very giving Forum with opportunities to try many absinthes without shelling out a bunch of cash. Also, when a green hour presents itself, take advantage. You'll find a wealth of absinthes to taste in one much-too-fast evening. It's not that I bought a gazillion bottles of booze (maybe only a few thousand) but that WS has provided me and anyone else with a marvelous learning opportunity. WS Commercial over. Carry on and of course :cheers: .

#113 Nikolaus

Nikolaus

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

Don't get me wrong. I have not tried La Muse, just posting why I did not. I love this site for the knowledge its bestowed on me. My first two brands of absinthe, Lucid, and Kübler, I am very pleased with the product. I have got my moneys worth, especially with the Kübler. I am trying to be very patient, and more efficient at work, so I can save up and buy some of the other premium products that will be coming soon. :cheers:
Like I said, ive only bought US available so far. Mabey come november and with the increase of dollar lately (hope it keeps up), might get some of the good stuff. Just wish I knew someone locally that I could try some different stuff. Too bad so sad I guess. I just hope im not coming off as negative. As I am not trying to be.

#114 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:19 PM

Are you on the "Blind Tasting Thread?" Being a recipient is cool, too.

#115 Nikolaus

Nikolaus

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:28 PM

Ya I posted on there. I would love to be recipient, but I don't think anyone wants to blind taste Lucid or Kübler as that is all I have to offer. Not much Lucid either, I am nursing the last 1/4 bottle. Just got the Kübler and only had 2 drinks out of it so far. Economy seems to be turning around in my business (auto repair) so hopefully I will be making money like I was last year soon. It was gangbusters last year. Since the gas went down 60 cents or so, more cars have been coming in. I cant afford the the bottles from Euroland right now after the 3 month dry spell, so I just have the stuff everyone here in US has.

Sorry for so many edits in my posts. Im a (l.o.l.) typer, but it always says Luscious Oily Lesbians!

Edited by Nikolaus, 20 August 2008 - 07:31 PM.

#116 Alexander Dunn

Alexander Dunn

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

Hmmm... black flecks, refunds. Not the thread I wanted to read. I just picked up two bottles of LMV from Kamal after having lunch with him the other day. It was so frustrating trying to track down Leopold Bros. in San Francisco two weeks ago (no luck) or Obesello (not available yet). So I'll have to make do with my LMV - I hope it's not as bad as it seems from the thread. I will have Sirène and Taboo Gold waiting for me at home as a consolation.
Ajenjo de la bebida para el Duende

#117 Misanthrope

Misanthrope

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:20 AM

Just wish I knew someone locally that I could try some different stuff.

SomeONE? :g: How about some group? Try getting your friends involved. :drunk: If you have a local liquor store that sells it then clearly you're not the only one. Try and find out from them who else buys it. :poke: Maybe they have a community board or a free local paper you can put a classified ad in. Once you find them and connect with them, you may be able split the costs of ordering from Europe. :cheers:
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#118 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:22 AM

I'm sorry you were frustrated, Alexander. We are doing the very best we can. We are a very small distillery, and it sometimes our distributor, which is also a small family run operation, a bit of time to get it on the shelves.

On a happy note, we were just contacted by a distributor based in Ontario, and they want to carry, among other things, our Absinthe at the LCBO (I don't know what it's called in your Province). I haven't the slightest clue as to how long it takes to get a spirit listed at the LCBO, but I'll keep you posted.

I'd love to just ship a bottle to you, but mailing to Canada is a big, big no-no.

Cheers, and thanks so much for your interest.

#119 Nikolaus

Nikolaus

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:47 PM

I'm sure there is some interest around here. There is one other member from
Nebraska that notified me, but I havn't been in touch with him. All they sell around here is Lucid. In EVERY Liquor store. There is one in town that sells Kübler and Grand Absente too. But there is no variety here, mail order if you want something, well exotic for these parts. Im sure in the future the stacks of lucid, will be gone, and a small variety will be in each liquor store. Thats my hope anyway.

#120 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:03 PM

I think you can count on that.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association