• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#61 hartsmar

hartsmar

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:41 AM

It looks like it's getting some mediocre but not terrible reviews, so I believe it is a distilled absinthe, or else it would have been promptly gotten some major kicks in the balls already.

I believe it's not distilled but instead only macerated. I'm not quite sure if they add oils or such but I don't think so. I think it's made the same way as their pastis. Each ingredient is macerated on its own and then filtered several times and then all is blended.
Der blitze ist an der flachtmatuche

#62 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:44 AM

I'm with you Peter. Got my bottle a few days ago and am enjoying it more than any of the other US releases I've tried--except Kübler maybe. Now where can I buy this NO that ya'll keep mentioning? Is it available stateside yet?

Stringth - Kübler is a excellent as well. Especially on a hot summer afternoon it's really refreshing when icy cold. And at $50 for a litre, a great value to boot. As far the Jade N.O I think it's due for a release here in the US this Fall. Others may have more exact information :twitchsmile:
""Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life,define yourself."

Harvey Fierstien

#63 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:25 AM

I believe it's not distilled but instead only macerated. I'm not quite sure if they add oils or such but I don't think so. I think it's made the same way as their pastis. Each ingredient is macerated on its own and then filtered several times and then all is blended.

As usual, I believe you are correct.
It is not terrible but much like Deva, Lasala or Mari Mayans.

#64 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:49 AM

Each ingredient is macerated on its own and then filtered several times

Maybe my bottle escaped the filtering stage. There was that tiny bit of sediment I talked about earlier. Towards the end there were so many of these "little black specs" floating about I had to use a coffee filter to strain the last few drinks into a glass.

No one else seems to have had this problem. I've ordered another bottle so I'm hoping it was just a fluke...I sure hope so :twitchsmile:
""Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life,define yourself."

Harvey Fierstien

#65 Belarmin

Belarmin

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

Each ingredient is macerated on its own and then filtered several times

Maybe my bottle escaped the filtering stage. There was that tiny bit of sediment I talked about earlier. Towards the end there were so many of these "little black specs" floating about I had to use a coffee filter to strain the last few drinks into a glass.

No one else seems to have had this problem. I've ordered another bottle so I'm hoping it was just a fluke...I sure hope so :twitchsmile:

PeterL, I don't think your bottle was a fluke. I found them "little black specs" swimming in my glass too.

Hartsmar thinks that the different macerates are filtered then blended. Perhaps the distillery should use coffee filters.

Aside from that, the Muse Verte was enjoyable.

#66 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:30 AM

What happens to all those absinthins if the drink is not distilled out of La Mew? Don't they end up on your tongue? Yet I can't remember anyone saying this drink is czechsinth-level bitter. Or is it?
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns
"Leave the gun. Take the Rossoni" - Peter Clemenzza
"Give me wormwood, or give me death!" - Patrick Henrry
"I find your lack of louche....disturbing" - James Earl Jjones
"No maceration without distillation!" - Reverend Jonathan Mayhhew
"It is by absinthe alone I set my mind in motion" - Frank Herrbert

#67 stringth

stringth

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:11 PM

Well, a few weeks later I'm getting near the bottom of bottle (hey, I gotta make this stuff last, man!) and I'm seeing the little black specs too. It still tastes fine but the specs are bothering me. It certainly ain't any kind of herbal residue, more like some kind of fine ash or maybe flecks of paint form the black bottle? (Yanked the contact lenses, really trying to get a good, well lighted look now) Could it be the remnants of some unfortunate bug(s)? One of those bits looked sorta like a piece of a wing . . . for $65 I'm getting p.o.ed that I now have to even think about straining it. Time to send a little love note off to DUNY. Maybe there is someone out there from the Co. who can comment on this unfortunate phenomenon??? Just wiped the inside of my glass with my finger, collected some of the specks, gently ran my other finger over them and they streaked black. WTF?
"No matter where you go, there you are."

#68 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:22 PM

Just wiped the inside of my glass with my finger, collected some of the specks, gently ran my other finger over them and they streaked black. WTF?

Hazarding a guess:

If the problem isn't filtration, those flecks could (could) be precipitated salts. If you don't use properly deionized water to reduce the distillate to bottling proof, little flecks of calcium will coagulate and settle to the bottom of the bottle. Common beverage filtration will not remove the calcium from water....so even though the spirit is filtered, the calcium will pass through, and over time will react in the alcoholic liquid, coagulate, and drop out of solution. It takes a couple of days/weeks for this to occur...so the bottle may look perfectly fine as it leaves the distillery, er, I mean, mixing plant; weeks later, not so much.

The black color can be because of the dyes used to color the product....in other words, the dye colored the calcium flecks.

Just a guess. I haven't seen the bottle.

#69 stringth

stringth

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for giving it a shot, leopold. The specks seem too light to be salt and as I examine my glass (that I'm getting scared to finish) I see that several of them are floating on the surface. Would/could coagulated calcium float? Another thing are the sizes and shapes which are all different. Nasty. I can't afford to sink this but dunno if I should drink it. Woe is me.

#70 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:41 PM

Would/could coagulated calcium float?

In my experience, no....so long as the bottles been on a shelf for a few minutes, they sink. The only reason I'd suspect that it's salts is that it could pass QC because the salts don't form immediately.

If this is an oil mixture, it could be any number of things. Poorly homogenized flavor mixtures. Strange reaction between two "flavors". Wrong pH reacting poorly. Could be anything, really.

I don't make compounded spirits, so I'm just throwing darts blindly. Sorry. Wish I was more help.

#71 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:42 PM

Some small bits of sediment at the bottom of a bottle is not all that uncommon, I doubt it's unsafe, but it's up to you.

#72 ETexas

ETexas

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:43 PM

My bottle also had black specks at the bottom of the last 3 or 4 ounces, I finished the bottle last week and am not going to buy another one.

#73 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:47 PM

Ah, thanks for the clarification, DL.

It could just be plain ol' herbs if this is naturally colored, or, as hartsmar stated, is some strange steeped concoction. I misunderstood and thought it was an oil mixture. I should have read further up in the thread. Sorry.

You have to filter the bejeezus out of Absinthe (even after a few months of settling in a tank/cask) to get keep those little buggers from forming after a few weeks/months in the bottle.

#74 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

I was just speaking generally Leo, I've not had La Muse. On top of that I'm a newb so take my somewhat limited experience with a grain of salt!

#75 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

Some small bits of sediment at the bottom of a bottle is not all that uncommon, I doubt it's unsafe, but it's up to you.

Maybe I just drank my bottle(s) too quickly but I don't remember seeing anything more disturbing than seamonkeys. Little black specks? I don't think so.

#76 stringth

stringth

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

I just fired off 2 fairly restrained emails to DUNY and the producer in France . . . I'm pretty sure DUNY will respond but am not feeling optimistic about the Frenchmen . . . heck this product isn't even on their web site--far as I could tell. As I look at it again I see sparkley flecks in there too. Is that typical? Screw it, I'm drinking the rest of this but dunno about the rest of this bottle. ET, will you not buy it again because of the taste or the specks or both? I really did like the taste . . .

#77 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

I've had a number of commercials that have had some little bits at the bottom. I figured it was tiny bits of plant material from the coloration stage.

#78 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

Hard little specks? Not me. Just a little cloudy seamonkey haze. However, I've yet to find the bottom of a La Muse bottle.

I just fired off 2 fairly restrained emails to DUNY and the producer in France . . .

I don't know what you think Drinkup might do. They don't make it. They just sell it. It would be interesting to see what the manufacturer might say. I hope you hear back!

#79 stringth

stringth

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:08 PM

They just don't look remotely herbal. All black, teeny tiny and they streak. Peter made mention of the specks towards way back on this thread, then ETexas tonight. Did you get yours from DUNY too T73?

#80 stringth

stringth

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:09 PM

Soft smeary specks.

#81 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

Via Attack Accountant, yes. It'll be awhile before we find the bottom. ;)

#82 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:14 PM

Could be herbs. Sounds like herbs, to me, given what I've read now.

My first few batches had 'em. I come from a craft brewing background, and try and avoid filtration like it's the plague. I hate the idea of leaving flavor and aroma behind on some stupid filter pad.

But with Absinthe, I actually (now) filter down to what would be called sterile filtration. A medium that's >60% abv makes everything precipitate.

#83 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:02 PM

I had been used to seeing these specs with La Muse for quite some time, I figured they were herbs or even as I said in my first post about this problem - little bits of cork and wax. But I had one bottle that was so dense with these disgusting black specs I wrote Kamal at Drinkupny immediately.

He responded within an hour, Gave me credit on the bottle told me to keep it and said he would talk to the rep for La Muse. It's good to know they'll take care of the customers and try to resolve the problem. My guess is if it keeps presenting a problem he'll stop carrying it - it wouldn't be worth the headache.

As for La Muse, it's a shame I liked it. But out of six or seven bottles the strange black specs weren't a problem until I got towards the end of the bottle. This last one had them suspended all through out, it was like something out of The Shinning.

Harvey Fierstien

#84 Belarmin

Belarmin

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:05 PM

I also found those black specks in my drink.

What was most annoying and bothersome about those specks was that later on when I was washing my glass, it seemed as if they were stuck to the inside of the glass like you'd find tar stuck to the side of your car after driving on a newly paved road.

Aside from the feeling that I had bits of tar stuck down there around my innards, I liked the Muse Verte.

#85 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:48 AM

I noticed that La Muse Verte is produced by Liquoristerie de Provence who also produces Versinthe.

Apparently, they do not make La Muse.

#86 stringth

stringth

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:23 PM

Right you are, T73. Much to my surprise I got a reply from LDP : "We are producing versinthe and not la muse verte we are therefore not concerned with your question." That lead is the first bit of bum info I've gotten from WS, at least knowingly (Belarmin). Reckon I need to do a little more due diligence here, eh? Kamal also responded but not with a credit, just a "I'll forward this to . . ." Sounds like you are a more valuable customer (ie., you've bought more than I have) Peter. It would be great to get to the bottom of this, so to speck. My curiosity is extremely piqued about the mysterious black bits!

#87 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:29 PM

That lead is the first bit of bum info I've gotten from WS

Plenty more here...
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#88 stringth

stringth

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:44 PM

Wow . . .

#89 Belarmin

Belarmin

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:24 PM

My apologies about the bum information.

According to the WS review section, La Muse Verte is produced by Liquoriste de Provence.

However, they are NOT to be confused with (I guess) Liquoristerie de Provence, the producers of Versinthe.

My bad.

:twitchsmile:

#90 stringth

stringth

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

Apparently not your bad B, if'n you got your info here. More intrigue verte!

Thanks for your other recollections though. Something funky going on in them bottles, and it doesn't seem herbal at all.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association