La Muse Verte Absinthe Traditionnelle

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#31 ETexas

ETexas

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:29 AM

Well since I have tasted a sample of good absinthe thanks to Wilson, but have been drinking only U.S. available brands Muse Verte may taste ok for me. My hopes it is not anything like Grande Absente, that was powerful stuff that was hard to drink. I drank the whole bottle because of the expense of purchase but gawd what crap. If it is more like Lucid it will be tolerable. :g:

#32 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:23 AM

In my opinion Grande Absente was just horrible. I think when it comes to the Muse it'll be more along he lines of a more complex and herbal Lucid - or so I've heard. But you're right, Grande Absente was one I couldn't wait to get it over with and toss the bottle.

From the few good things I've heard about La Muse and they even used a dark bottle to protect the color...how bout that. I have a feeling we'll be pleasantly surprised. Now all I need is some wood to knock on. :twitchsmile:
""Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life,define yourself."

Harvey Fierstien

#33 ETexas

ETexas

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:25 AM

Just knocked on my head too. :cheers:

#34 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

Despite my less than stellar opinion of Versinthe, I'm anxious to give La Muse a sip.

#35 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

a more complex and herbal Lucid - or so I've heard.

Wait, wouldn't that be a Jade then? ;)
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#36 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:12 PM

xactly.
A smoothing out of the (to my taste) tangy and uneven Lucid would result in a real absinthe.
It's tempting to speculate on what to expect from this product, but I'll wait until I've tried a glass at a party or a bar. I'd be very surprised to find myself buying a bottle afterwards, but one never knows. Still, I wouldn't be expecting it to rival the Jades.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#37 zouave

zouave

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:37 AM

Your expectations are very realistic, WBT.. Muse Verte doesn't rival the Jades at all.

#38 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:03 AM

Jade Schmade

I've tried them all with the exception of N.O and posted glowing reviews of both the Edouard and PF1901. That said, the more different brands of Absinthe I try the more I find the Jades to be over rated, over priced and over hyped. I wonder, considering the state of our economy if Ted B will still be able to grab that twice the price - price point.

Scuse me while I duck for cover :twitchsmile:
""Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life,define yourself."

Harvey Fierstien

#39 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:39 AM

There's one in every crowd. ;)
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#40 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:19 AM

There's one in every crowd.

Don't make me send you a bottle of KOS :twitchsmile:

Harvey Fierstien

#41 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:05 PM

My bottles of La Muse arrived today and I'm having my first glass now. First impression is a light and floral Nose (neat) now the big wallop of Anise and Fennel up front which is actually a nice change of pace.
The flavor is definitely pretty tasty, it's refreshing and not sticky sweet. In fact it's not sweet at all so I'm using sugar which I normally don't use. I'll post a review after we get a bit more acquainted :twitchsmile:

Harvey Fierstien

#42 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,024 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:14 PM

I find the Jades to be over rated, over priced and over hyped. I wonder, considering the state of our economy if Ted B will still be able to grab that twice the price - price point.

Over Rated: No, they are quite good.
Over Priced: Definitely. There are better brands (Belle Amie for example) at better prices.
Over Hyped: At this point yes.

As for the price coming down...we'll see. ;)
"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#43 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:36 PM

Either way, I really enjoyed the NO that was brought to the TotC and am looking forward to seeing it on the shelves. I had given up on it a long time ago, probably before my palate was educated enough. I enjoy it very much now.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#44 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:01 AM

I find the Jades to be over rated, over priced and over hyped. I wonder, considering the state of our economy if Ted B will still be able to grab that twice the price - price point.

Over Rated: No, they are quite good.
Over Priced: Definitely. There are better brands (Belle Amie for example) at better prices.
Over Hyped: At this point yes.

I'd like to point out that the Belle Amie isn't a brand. It was a limited run of a single product made by the Pernot distillery in cooperation with Luc. Yes, there are plans to do another run, but we all know how much an absinthe can vary from run to run, and this the only time it was done with the players involved. And is it really available at a better price? Where's it for sale?

Jade is a brand. The products have been proven run after run, batch after batch for quite awhile now. For my money, the PF01 is at least as good as the Belle Amie, and different enough that in different moods, each is capable of being my favorite. And unlike the Belle Amie, I can buy it right now, or I can buy it in two months.

I won't say it's easy to make a single batch of great absinthe because it isn't. But the team that did Belle Amie will have to do it again and again before I'll say they've achieved what Jade has.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#45 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:48 AM

To be able to take even one of the Jades without compromising the quality of the product and make it available in sufficient quantities to be seen as a national brand is an incredible accomplishment. My cap is off to TAB.

And glad to hear the La Muse Verte might be OK.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#46 Heure Verte

Heure Verte

heureverte.com

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:07 AM

I won't say it's easy to make a single batch of great absinthe because it isn't. But the team that did Belle Amie will have to do it again and again before I'll say they've achieved what Jade has.

Too much pressure ! ;) You are going to scare our Belle Amie :laugh: She's so shy.
My Paris Absinthe Shop : www.vertdabsinthe.com

#47 ETexas

ETexas

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:24 AM

Recieved La Muse Verte yesterday and we really enjoyed it, I think it is maybe better than Lucid.

#48 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:45 AM

Recieved La Muse Verte yesterday and we really enjoyed it, I think it is maybe better than Lucid.

I agree, it's much better than Lucid. It's lite, herbal and the Anise doesn't smack you in face like Lucid either. The Fennel and Anise are there but in balance with a nice, floral aroma and flavor. Great Louche too, turbulent but slow and lazy - fun to watch. Some Absinths don't give me a secondary effect at all but this one was pretty pronounced and really quite nice.

ETexas, Did you have any sediment in your glass? I had a tiny bit with every pour - my guess is that the bottles being shipped on their side in this heat may have broken up some of the cork. Not a big issue and I'll definitely be placing another order :twitchsmile:

Harvey Fierstien

#49 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:50 AM

That's encouraging to hear. I'm looking forward to giving it a sip or two.

#50 ETexas

ETexas

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:19 AM

No Peter I noticed no sediment in the pour, may be some in bottom of bottle but it is so dark you can't tell. I will leave the review to you guys that can taste and seperate all of the flavors, my taster is worn out. :laugh:

#51 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:27 AM

Some Absinths don't give me a secondary effect at all

Woah, I almost thought I was on the wrong forum! Just kidding... Glad to hear there's merit in them thar bottles!
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#52 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:27 AM

I don't know if my review will post or not. I'm not very good at these but it's fun to write em. Anyway to anyone whose interested hereyago :twitchsmile:

*The bottle pictured is not the current design. The bottles now have a new label but the same matt finish jet black glass

Preparation

A slow drip from a fountain of ice water.

Color Before Water

A nice translucent olive. By no means eye popping but it's natural looking and very pretty in it's own right. I had a tiny bit of sediment with each pour. My guess is shipping in the dead heat of summer caused erosion to the cork.

Aroma Before Water

A lovely, herbal and floral nose with the Anise and Fennel not as harsh as say, Lucid or some other brands. There's a nice balance to it. At 136 Proof I expected some real heat from the alcohol but there isn't. A definite plus.

Louche

Impressive. I didn't see much in the way of oil trails but the slow roll of turbulent waves that puff up at the bottom of the glass makes up for it. It's a relatively slow forming Louche as well. What I really enjoyed was that the Louche never really picks up speed until close to the end. It's like watching rolling storm clouds in slow motion - great to watch. The final color is typical of my past experiences with Absinthe. A milky white with the ever so slight green tint. As for any opalescence the lighting was late evening indoors so I can't say. But I would bet with some natural light splashing down La Muse would glimmer just fine.

Aroma After Water

Very nice, it's delicate and floral with a splendid side of Anise and herbs. No medicinal quality which I liked as well. It's really very clean with zero funk or odd, off putting aroma.

Flavor

Delicious. La Muse has no sugar whatsoever - at least that's what it says on the back of the bottle. The bitter taste of Wormwood is nice and up front. This is the first Absinthe I've drank with sugar after one drink without. It's a savory and more complex Absinthe than any other available US Absinthe I've tried - a real plus in my book.
The Finish

Quite nice, a gentle numbing of the tongue and no lingering aftertaste.

Final Impression

I think at it's price point of $65 La Muse is the best bang for your buck that I've found thus far. More sophisticated palates may long for more complexity and considering how my own tastes are changing that's absolutely understandable. But that said, I think most anyone would enjoy La Muse. It's not that it lacks delicate nuances, notes and tones, they're there just perhaps not as pronounced as some others. La Muse is a lovely, crisp and flavorful drink. I would recommend giving La Muse Verte a try.

Harvey Fierstien

#53 Rimbaud

Rimbaud

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:44 AM

I arn't buyin' it.

I don't feel the need to buy a bottle of every absinthe that comes on the market.
Internet Tough Guy

#54 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:06 AM

Fortunately, my sister-that-used-to-leave-me-in-trees ordered a bottle. I'm hoping I can sweet talk a drink from her for a review.

#55 Tally Ho

Tally Ho

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:53 PM

Either way, I really enjoyed the NO that was brought to the TotC and am looking forward to seeing it on the shelves. I had given up on it a long time ago, probably before my palate was educated enough. I enjoy it very much now.

N-O is the only Jade that I continue to buy. It's one of my favorites. When I heard it was to be the first Jade released in the U.S. I was ecstatic.

Ted said that there would be no change whatsoever in the product, which was encouraging. If he can maintain the same quality with the vastly increased scale of production he's a beast. Another thing that surprised me about N-O being the first U.S. release was that it tested over 20ppm on the porkchop meter.
Porkchops are good

#56 Nikolaus

Nikolaus

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:12 PM

So is this stuff an oil mix or a distilled absinthe? Reviews on this site do not say, reviews of it on other sites say the European variety is oil mix? As being new to absinthe, I do not really want to try any oil mixes.

#57 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

It looks like it's getting some mediocre but not terrible reviews, so I believe it is a distilled absinthe, or else it would have been promptly gotten some major kicks in the balls already.
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns
"Leave the gun. Take the Rossoni" - Peter Clemenzza
"Give me wormwood, or give me death!" - Patrick Henrry
"I find your lack of louche....disturbing" - James Earl Jjones
"No maceration without distillation!" - Reverend Jonathan Mayhhew
"It is by absinthe alone I set my mind in motion" - Frank Herrbert

#58 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:25 PM

Is this the same company that makes a pastis of a similar name? I think I've seen the pastis at BevMo, but not the absinthe.

#59 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:07 AM

L'Artemise is the pastis they're making. I disliked it.

#60 stringth

stringth

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:39 AM

I'm with you Peter. Got my bottle a few days ago and am enjoying it more than any of the other US releases I've tried--except Kübler maybe. Dispite my curiousity I've stayed away from 2-3 of the ones that were sinked on WS but it was the lack of info that got me to buy La Muse. Now where can I buy this NO that ya'll keep mentioning? Is it available stateside yet?
"No matter where you go, there you are."

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association