brennivin

Akvavit cocktails anyone?

So I like some akvavit, and have a bottle of Aalborg and another of Linie. Usually just on the rocks. But I'd like to cocktail it up. The unique flavor offers an intriguing challenge for blending. Anyone here manage to do so successfully?

Oddly, I almost prefer aquavit and tonic to a gin and tonic.

I made up this cocktail about a million years ago. Some have described it as "a salad in a glass" but I still kind of like it.

Savory Bastard*

1.5 ounce Aquavit

1/2 ounce Dry Vermouth

1 slice lemon

2 sprigs dill

Couple shakes Angostora Bitters

In a cocktail shaker muddle dill, lemon, vermouth, Aquavit, and bitters. Add ice, shake to chill and strain into your favorite cocktail receptacle.

*In French, one of the names for the dill plant is, "Fenouil bâtard" or Bastard Fennel. Thus the name.

DrinkBoy did an aquavit take on the Negroni, called the Trident:

* 1 ounce dry sherry

* 1 ounce Cynar artichoke liquer (smoother, less bitter, but much like Campari)

* 1 ounce aquavit

* 2 dashes peach bitters

Stir with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.

I've never heard about any cocktails with aquavit - usually, it's something you drink together with food & beer - but of course, it would be obvious to try and mix something. Actually, I recently read something about a new cocktail bar here in town, where they wanted to give their drinks a sort of a 'nordic' touch. Gotta check out, if that involves some aquavit cocktails.

You know, aquavit is something I just have zero experience with. Living in Minnesota, you'd think I'd be tripping over the stuff.

It's (please, please correct me) something along the lines of a gin, but with a different herbal mix, right?

I liken it to gin, but substitute caraway for the juniper.

My family's Norwegian, so I would risk dismemberment if I had anything but Linie in the house.

Whoa!

Blasphemy!

cocktails with akvavit!? WTF?

Akvavit is actually protected by EU-laws and requires the drink to contain Cumin and/or Dill.

If it doesn't contain that it is classified as Brännvin (schnapps when spiced, or else like a vodka).

Other than cummin and dill, classic ingredients in akvavit are fennel and anise and sometimes... wormwood.

tadaaa

There are also some slightly "special" brands that use other ingredients, like "Herrgårds Akvavit" which contains Whisky and Coriander and also some akvavit which takes some of its taste from added Sherry.

It goes on and on. But...

You drink it cold - not ice cold because you want to taste the flavours of course, but around 10-12 degr. Celsius and you drink it in small glasses - like shot glasses - holding about 3cl.

If you want to be a good Swede you sing a dumb-ass song before each drink.

Whoa!

Blasphemy!

cocktails with akvavit!? WTF?

I am more than admittedly a blasphemer when it comes to traditions :) As much as I may like doing things 'the proper way', I'm always interested in the extended possibilities as well.

I'm a musician, and John Cage is my hero. Says it all really :D

DrinkBoy did an aquavit take on the Negroni, called the Trident

FYI: Just found out that GQ Magazine listed my Trident in amongst their "20 Best Cocktails in America"

Overall Feature:

http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_7207

Specific Drink:

http://men.style.com/gq/features/slideshow...52&iphoto=6

...although they simply credit it to the Zig Zag, with no mention of me :shock:

Oh Well...

Most of the great artists died long before they were given proper credit for their works, DB, just wait, one day when you're worm food your name will be in every cocktail guide on the planet! Doesn't that make you feel better? :twitchsmile:

I'm late to the party again. I love aquavit, in fact we make our own version of it. The US government defines aquavit as having caraway seed as the dominant flavor, which I have been told is in line with the EU definition, even though there are many other variations available in Sweden, Norway and Denmark than you'd find here (just 5 brands on the market in the US, I believe). There are several spellings and pronunciations for akvavit/aquavit/akevitt too.

Just like gin, it's really a type of flavored vodka anymore, if you want to think of it that way. We use caraway, cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon and anise, and then age in new American oak. Aging is an optional step, some brands do it, some don't.

Here are a couple recipes with it - I too like to break with tradition and make cocktails out of aquavit from time to time, it's definitely great in a bloody mary (called a Danish Mary or Swedish Mary then):

Midnight Sun

1½ oz Aquavit

½ oz Grapefruit Juice

½ oz Fresh Lemon Juice

½ tsp Sugar

¼ oz Grenadine

Shake all ingredients over ice, strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with orange slice.

The Gingervit

2 oz Aquavit

½-1 oz Ginger Syrup (to taste)

1 - 2 Dashes of orange bitters

Club Soda

Combine Aquavit, ginger syrup and bitters over ice. Top up with club soda, garnish with orange slice.

I'm late to the party again. I love aquavit, in fact we make our own version of it.

Say...where are your spirits available in CA?

Southern, to be specific. I haven't noticed it in BevMo or in my rare but always happy trips to Hi Times in Costa Mesa.

Edit...like a dork, I checked your site *after* making the post, duh. I trust the available locations in meatspace as listed is current, yes?

I trust the available locations in meatspace as listed is current, yes?

Yes, the list is as up to date as I can keep it (sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get info from distributors). Thanks for asking! :cheers:

Midnight Sun

This I'll likely try on for size this weekend. Sounds like a great brunch bevvy.

The Gingervit

Not a fan of 'real' ginger, but I'm inspired to try it with some 'fakish' ginger ale like Canada Dry/Schwepps.

Thanks for the tips!

PS> Along with Drinkboy's Trident of course. Apologies for not supplying an appreciative reply sooner :)