Rimbaud

Can we kill him?

I've been in discussion with several producers of "less than welcomed" brands. A few of these guys really are victims of unqualified consultants and want to know how to turn their product around.

So the question to the membership of this honorable body is, will we do more good by bashing everything that doesn't fit neatly into our ideal idea of absinthe or do we try to maintain a civil discourse? Call KOS crap because it is and apparently, they don't care that it is. But there are also some distillers that take pride in what they produce and are sincerely interested in our feedback and constructive criticism.

Not long ago, Hiram referred to us as Professional Drinkers not a bunch of drunks. That's a worthy goal to strive for that doesn't deprive us of any pleasure associated with a recreational beverage. :cheers:

A good friend of mine said to me a many months ago, that he and I were the only people in this town that know how to drink. I can dig Professional Drinkers as well.

I'd buy an empty bottle of KOS Iridium, even though I'm sure it'd be worth more. I'd like to see "Absinth" printed above a dinosaur skeleton. :laugh:

Hey now, some of my best friends have been extinct for over 65 million years.

I never thought of myself as a Professional Drinker till T73 brought it up but I guess I've been disgruntled at Amateur Night drunks for more years than I care to remember, so, well.............. :g:

Opabiniate or Anomalocarid?

I've been in discussion with several producers of "less than welcomed" brands. A few of these guys really are victims of unqualified consultants and want to know how to turn their product around.

Neither KOSG or Century were not among them, btw.

Are there any "welcomed brands" from the Czech Republic? Seriously. The quotes confuse whether you're speaking for yourself personally or taking that phrase to represent what the "general wisdom" is, in some kinder, gentler way.

St. Antoine can be set to the side for a moment, it's still a work in progress, and the producer sought help publicly. The other distilled Czech absinthes could use some support, no question there. But that doesn't add up to even "a few". I don't think you really have much to offer the vast array of compounded products and I don't see that they're having a problem with profitability, so why should they seek your counsel? Kind of leaves a handful of macerated abominations that would need help starting from scratch, including finding better quality herb sources. But they have a long way to go. And probably always had a difficult time competing with the larger brands, so repositioning would only be sound business policy.

I know your not going to name names. Wouldn't expect you to. After all, their competitors are here reading. I applaud your efforts, I just wonder if it's not a bit futile trying to call in a complete makeover from half the world away. I can only wonder, though. And wish you luck. And hope the experience will add credit to any future consultancy efforts you may engage in.

I can speak for others, but anyone who contacts me for suggestions on how to improve their product will be welcome. After all, that's what it's about, right? Helping people?

Shouldn't that have been MY line? :wheelchair:

Not long ago, Hiram referred to us as Professional Drinkers not a bunch of drunks.

I did? That's pretty clever; I'll have to remember that... this time.

"But when all is said, the searcher for prehistoric man, for ancestors of much greater stature, may halt when he reads of the exploits of the exponents of the old American School of Drinking, point to the record, scratch his head, and say: 'There were giants in those days!' "

Neither KOSG or Century were not among them, btw.

Are there any "welcomed brands" from the Czech Republic? Seriously. The quotes confuse whether you're speaking for yourself personally or taking that phrase to represent what the "general wisdom" is, in some kinder, gentler way.

That last thing you said there. And I inadvertently used a double negative. It should read: Neither KOSG or Century were among them.

St. Antoine can be set to the side for a moment, it's still a work in progress, and the producer sought help publicly. The other distilled Czech absinthes could use some support, no question there. But that doesn't add up to even "a few". I don't think you really have much to offer the vast array of compounded products and I don't see that they're having a problem with profitability, so why should they seek your counsel? Kind of leaves a handful of macerated abominations that would need help starting from scratch, including finding better quality herb sources. But they have a long way to go. And probably always had a difficult time competing with the larger brands, so repositioning would only be sound business policy.

I know your not going to name names. Wouldn't expect you to. After all, their competitors are here reading. I applaud your efforts, I just wonder if it's not a bit futile trying to call in a complete makeover from half the world away. I can only wonder, though. And wish you luck. And hope the experience will add credit to any future consultancy efforts you may engage in.

That's a lot of guesswork right there. You made some assumptions and then came to conclusions based on them. You're speculating beyond the data.

As for consultancy efforts? I'm available to offer advice and shove guys in the right direction, but that's not really my big plan.

I do it because I want to see authentic absinthe survive into the next century instead of being an "idea" that is sold with the absinthe label and little else. Because I genuinely care more about establishing a solid basis for the authentic spirit than I do about sticking it to the competitition.

I'm not going to say that it's not a daily challenge to juggle my personal distilling aspirations with the educational mission of WS, but I'm proud to say that I've continued to uphold my values of fairness, honesty and good sportsmanship. Yes, I've given sound advice to my "competitors."

When someone writes to me and says "OMFG, what did we do wrong and how can we fix it?" I'm not going to say "Tough shit, you're on your own." It's a big responsibility taking on calling an absinthe inauthentic.

On the other hand, there seem to be people who are stuggling with the fact that the absinthe world is changing very rapidly and who cling to the "conventional wisdom" or status quo of 5 years ago. That mystifies me. For all the complaining about they way things have been, when we make a proactive effort to fix it, people get all cynical and skeptical—especially when it's actually working.

Opabiniate or Anomalocarid?

Oh no no no. I said 65 plus, not pushing 500 million.

Although I had a thing for Ostracoderms as a kid.

I always thought of the Late Cretaceous as sort of the Fat Elvis period in Earth's history.

That's a lot of guesswork right there. You made some assumptions and then came to conclusions based on them. You're speculating beyond the data.

You give me so little to go by, but that's okay, I can guess some more. It must be big, powerful Czech liquor industry giants who are going to fly you over to oversee their relaunches. After seeing them successfully through to their first incredible, distilled proto-types you're going to give me a call and we'll finally meet and toast to the good fortunes of Czech absinthe in the future with an incredible selection of unnamed and unlabelled bottles that will be as different as night and day from each other, and each one better than the last.

Am I getting warmer?

I always thought of the Late Cretaceous as sort of the Fat Elvis period in Earth's history.

So where are we now? Is he sitting on the can eating his last peanut butter and banana sammich?

It kinda seems like it, actually.

I took that as a theoretical question: "can" means "are we capable ..." rather than "shall we."

Yes, I believe we can. Shall we?

Actually we are killing him. Inspired by Rimbaud's question, I looked at the monthly numbers of US visitors to the absinthe.bz website (the source of the original advertisement at the start of this topic) and to a few other sites. Here are some interesting numbers:

A summary of US visits made to each of these sites in June 2007 and then in June 2008. Approximate numbers only.

Wormwood Society 1,485 > 5,909 (+ 298%)

Absinthe.bz 15,668 > 5,758 (- 63%)

More details on my blog plus a collection of most of the advertisements used by absinthe.bz and their affiliates.

Sorry GL. I thought Alan took the thread in a very exciting direction; A bit of evidence that WS's educational philosophy is taking off like gangbusters! What's not to like about that?

We've been saying all along that solid information would eventually do the T-bone-hype-freaks in. Despite their gazillion dollar budget, it looks like Hiram is right. Sweet!

What's the next release gonna be? KOS Uranium? It seems they're gonna paint themselves into a corner labeling wise.

Are you kidding??

There's antimony, arsenic, aluminum, selenium,

And hydrogen and oxygen and nitrogen and rhenium

And nickel, neodymium, neptunium, germanium,

And iron, americium, ruthenium, uranium,

Europium, zirconium, lutetium, vanadium

And lanthanum and osmium and astatine and radium

And gold, protactinium and indium and gallium (inhale)

And iodine and thorium and thulium and thallium.

There's yttrium, ytterbium, actinium, rubidium

And boron, gadolinium, niobium, iridium

And strontium and silicon and silver and samarium,

And bismuth, bromine, lithium, beryllium and barium.

There's holmium and helium and hafnium and erbium

And phosphorous and francium and fluorine and terbium

And manganese and mercury, molybdinum, magnesium,

Dysprosium and scandium and cerium and cesium

And lead, praseodymium, and platinum, plutonium,

Paladium, promethium, potassium, polonium, and

Tantalum, technetium, titanium, tellurium, (inhale)

And cadmium and calcium and chromium and curium.

There's sulfur, californium and fermium, berkelium

And also mendelevium, einsteinium and nobelium

And argon, krypton, neon, radon, xenon, zinc and rhodium

And chlorine, carbon, cobalt, copper,

Tungsten, tin and sodium.

These are the only ones of which the news has come to Harvard,

And there may be many others but they haven't been discovered.

I feel a massive headache coming on.

hey, you forgot Laudanum.

He didn't forget. Laudanum is not an element, it's a tincture of morphine (opium) and ethanol. It can actually still be prescribed believe it or not, usually for its anticholinergic properties.

Sorry GL. I thought Alan took the thread in a very exciting direction; A bit of evidence that WS's educational philosophy is taking off like gangbusters! What's not to like about that?
Nothing at all. What I objected to was the precious bandwidth that was wasted to get to that point. :tongue:

Understood, GL. Probably too many pictures from Absinthe.bz on the front page of my blog, especially for those not on fast broadband.

I moved most of the pictures elsewhere ... and will remember your point for future reference.

At least somebody noticed.

I noticed, too .... though as usual I'm late to the party. Need to work on my "be prepared" ...

So where are we now? Is he sitting on the can eating his last peanut butter and banana sammich?

It kinda seems like it, actually.

No, that's where he was when the asteroid hit. I believe this time around we'll be doing a John Belushi.

:dead: