Trillium is here.

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#91 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:25 PM

Trillium Muir is a'ight, but definitely not hot.

yeah, whatever. Chicks who kick ass will always be hot.

I guess we have different definitions of hot. I when I say hot I mean physical attractiveness, not whether I think she's smart or can kick ass or can ride a bike real fast. IMO judging whether someone is "hot" requires only some untouched photos and not an iota of additional information about the person.

Unfortunately judging an absinthe's merits is not as straightforward, for me at least. In the case of Trillium, based on all of the people's reviews here, I think I will eventually get it but after I try all the other major brands.
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns
"Leave the gun. Take the Rossoni" - Peter Clemenzza
"Give me wormwood, or give me death!" - Patrick Henrry
"I find your lack of louche....disturbing" - James Earl Jjones
"No maceration without distillation!" - Reverend Jonathan Mayhhew
"It is by absinthe alone I set my mind in motion" - Frank Herrbert

#92 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:28 AM

What a task. Trillium should be aged quite nicely by the time you try all the major brands. Unless your drinks are Absomphesized. :twitchsmile:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#93 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:30 AM

I never realized there were so many major brands. :devil:

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#94 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:34 AM

Well, he did say major brands not good brands. :devil:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#95 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:33 AM

At first glance Trillium looks like a bottle of Perrier-Jouet . Well if you dim the lights, squint your eyes and stand 50 paces back. I wonder if they ripped off found a little inspiration in the beautiful Perrier-Jouet bottling. :twitchsmile:
""Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life,define yourself."

Harvey Fierstien

#96 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:43 AM

Finally got to Trillium sample last night, thanks again to khiddy for making it available, and apologies to everyone for sitting on it for a few days! My notes:

Color - Very pale, green leaning slightly to straw/yellow. The pale color made it difficult for me to judge clarity, it looked almost like a slightly cloudy blanche.

Nose (neat) - All I got was anise, with a background of isopropyl alcohol. I asked my wife to smell it, after I suggested rubbing alcohol she agreed, so I don't think it was just me. It wasn't terribly hot or sharp or anything, and I actually like the smell of rubbing alcohol, so it wasn't off-putting to me, but inappropriate for absinthe. I'll be interested to hear if anybody else picks up this aroma.

Louche - Very nice trailing and swirling action in the glass. Beautiful layering. The louche action is by far the strong point of this absinthe. The weak color detracts a bit, but this might be the best performing louche I've seen to date. Finished glass had very weak color, almost like a blanche but without the clean, milky white. Finished color much lighter than Lucid. As it was getting late I had poor lighting so difficult to judge opacity, but it didn't appear as thick and heavy as, for example, Kübler.

Nose (post louche) - Very weak. I was surprised how the aroma seemed to just disappear after the louche. Faint anise aroma, and that's it.

Flavor - Anise, and very quickly tongue numbing, attacking the tip of the tongue. Ends with some wormwood bitterness. Balance between anise and wormwood seems good, but the flavors do not seem well integrated; you get the anise first, and then the wormwood quickly takes over. Could be due to the overall light character of the absinthe, the anise character just doesn't have any staying power other than the tongue numbing.

Finish - Very quick, and dominated by the tongue numbing and some lingering bitterness.

In summary, the whole experience can best be described as "weak". Weak color, and weak, simple flavor. There was nothing that I found offensive, but nothing interesting enough to entice me to a second glass. To me, it's the "Coors beer" of absinthe.

Oh, and I know I promised pictures ... my first time trying to photograph absinthe, and my results were not good. Flash gets too much reflection, and with the late hour and poor lighting, turning off the flash resulted in slow shutter speeds and blurry images. I'll keep working at it.

#97 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:21 AM

You got it yesterday and have not uncorked it yet? Is something wrong with you? Get in there and louche a drink man. We're depending on you.

Too much pressure! Drink has been consumed, notes are posted. Now I'll be able to sleep tonight ;)

#98 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:03 AM

Oh, a couple of questions for those who actually have the bottles -- what's the alc. %, and what is the base spirit?

Checked the web site, those details are not available.

#99 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:07 AM

Trillium Muir is a'ight, but definitely not hot.

yeah, whatever. Chicks who kick ass will always be hot.

I guess we have different definitions of hot. I when I say hot I mean physical attractiveness, not whether I think she's smart or can kick ass or can ride a bike real fast. IMO judging whether someone is "hot" requires only some untouched photos and not an iota of additional information about the person.

Yeah, but physical attractiveness is a much more tangible and ulimately variable thing than a mere photo can convey. Plus, I have digitally manipulated a few images in my time and will never rely on a photo for anything more than an oblique reference. I've worked on women who appear average looking but in private person are revealed to be charming stimulating individuals, and after said experience thay will always be hot to me. I have tattooed many supposedly beautiful women to be really put off by their whole vibe to the point that I have straight-up contempt for them based on strictly visual assessment. Cosmetic enhancement is just that, enhancement. For many today it is a crutch. Go to this site for graphic illustration of this phenomena. Beauty and perfection are not necessarily good companions, by a strictly "textbook"criteria. Synthetic rubies are considered aesthetically inferior because of their "flawlessness", while the idiosyncrasies of different geologic happenstance are what makes natural rubies prized to this day. By a similar path o'logic, a Perfect Woman is essentially a Barbie Doll "perfect" teeth, hair,and silicone boobs. Myself, I will take Betty Page any day of the week, because her Overall Impression is a much more rewarding one.

Plus the fact that I work on Capitol Hill makes me quite aware on a daily basis that some really hot chicks are actually men. To go by just a photo one could easily end up hot and bothered for a chick who sports a bigger package than John Holmes, all whilst thinking she was the girl next door. How hot is that?

on an unrelated note, I'll have a review up in a couple days........
:cheers:
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#100 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:30 PM

I returned to my office after my burned weiner sandwich and stale fritos lunch to find a very nice sample of Trillium on my desk. The absinthe fairy must have felt sorry for me. B)

Thanks Khiddy!

:cheers:

#101 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:51 PM

Same thing here!
And a completely unexpected, mysterious box from a land south (most things are south of Montana) filled with wondrous goodies!

#102 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

Yeah, but physical attractiveness is a much more tangible and ulimately variable thing than a mere photo can convey.

You have just co-opted my word and my attempt to be strictly visual and turned it back into your own definition of hot, and for that you will burn in hell. J/K. But I was saying, when I mean hot or physical attractiveness I mean only the visual aspect of a person.

Plus, I have digitally manipulated a few images in my time and will never rely on a photo for anything more than an oblique reference.

I did specify "untouched" in my post, as in "not modified".

I have tattooed many supposedly beautiful women to be really put off by their whole vibe to the point that I have straight-up contempt for them based on strictly visual assessment.

But by your own words you were not using a "strictly" visual assessment, since you were using their personality to judge their hotness, no?

Myself, I will take Betty Page any day of the week, because her Overall Impression is a much more rewarding one.

Me too. Nobody ever goes totally by visual aspects alone in rating potential partners, especially with people they already know. But I'm never going to meet Trillium Muir, so there's no point to trying to guess if she's bitchy, bitchin', or boring. Thus the purely visual assessment.....

Plus the fact that I work on Capitol Hill makes me quite aware on a daily basis that some really hot chicks are actually men. To go by just a photo one could easily end up hot and bothered for a chick who sports a bigger package than John Holmes, all whilst thinking she was the girl next door. How hot is that?

Do I even want to ask for an elaboration? :twitchsmile:
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns
"Leave the gun. Take the Rossoni" - Peter Clemenzza
"Give me wormwood, or give me death!" - Patrick Henrry
"I find your lack of louche....disturbing" - James Earl Jjones
"No maceration without distillation!" - Reverend Jonathan Mayhhew
"It is by absinthe alone I set my mind in motion" - Frank Herrbert

#103 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:09 PM

I've had my glass of Trillium. I've put a review together. Just waiting for an entry so as I might post said review. fwiw, meh.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#104 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• 2,847 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

I am tasting Trillium for the first time. Sans sucre.
It is a very light straw color that smells of anise and alcohol when poured in the glass.
A sip of it neat is bitter, anise and alcohol.
The louche begins at about 1:1 and is complete at about 2:1 and almost white.
The flavor is wormwood with some anise.I like a lot of wormwood and it's not too much, but I almost wonder if there is some A.a. in the coloring (what coloring there is). It is tongue numbing.

This is my first taste and I may have overwatered it a little bit. I'll wait to post a review until my next tasting.

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#105 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:49 PM

I just tried a small sample and I was surprised at how clear it is. If this is a verte, it has the characteristics of a blanche or dang close. Sort of like Blanchette. The anise aroma seems a bit thick for just anise. It does louche quick. *shrug*

We'll see after a few more sips. :cheers:

#106 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• 2,847 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:21 PM

I also thought there must be some star anise involved. ;)

edited with an emoticon to clarify the word 'some'.

Edited by LeRoy, 26 July 2008 - 07:11 AM.

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#107 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:33 AM

Some?

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#108 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:14 AM

One of the girls I work with brought some licorice to the office to share a few weeks ago. The stuff had the consistency of a firm cookie dough. When I opened the bottle of Trillium to check the aroma, it reminded me of that candy. The aroma was thick. I hated to say it was star anise but it was a heavy scent. Perhaps my perception is off but licorice isn't one of my favorite candies. I can't remember the last licorice I bought. I do remember the last absinthe I bought. :twitchsmile:

#109 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,805 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:30 PM

Trillium now available for review.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#110 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,261 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:52 PM

... the fact that I work on Capitol Hill makes me quite aware on a daily basis that some really hot chicks are actually men. To go by just a photo one could easily end up hot and bothered for a chick who sports a bigger package than John Holmes, all whilst thinking she was the girl next door. How hot is that?

Depends on who you are; somebody sure thinks so. 43,800,000 google hits can't be wrong.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#111 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:17 PM

oh, there's no denying that, I just meant it in a strictly Caveat Emptor sense....

..And I just couldn't resist tossin' that one out and seeing who bites! :devil:

and have yet to respond (at least in this thread) just 'cuz I haven't done my taste research on this very pale drink that smells really licorice-y and I am not sure if it's a verte or what.
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#112 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,630 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:16 PM

Ah, Capitol Hill.

How cherish those memories of my first Grant's Scottish Ale, back in 1983 at the Vomit...er, I mean Comet Tavern.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#113 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,805 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

Can whomever sent me the sample of Trillium PM me? I honestly lost track. Pretty sure it was Khiddy, but don't know for sure.

Thanks!
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#114 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:45 PM

Was there money involved?
'Cuz, maybe it was me. I mean, I don't remember buying a bottle of Trillium but if there was money involved, I may have just forgotten.

#115 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:41 PM

I was at an herb shoppe yesterday, picking up some samples of the Holy Trinity for my reference kit, and in a casual discussion with the proprietor, he revealed that he's supplying the herbs to Integrity Spirits for their use in Trillium.

I didn't pursue the issue very far, but he did tell me when I was searching for his jar of Green Anise that "some people like to use Star Anise in their absinthe."

Anyhow, he also told me that he wasn't able to get Pontica, so that was somewhat telling. Who was it that was commenting about the coloration of Trillium?
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#116 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

It looks like Integrity has closed up shop for good.

It’s with great sadness that we report that Integrity Spirits has closed their doors. Integrity is one of the original Distillery Row founders and has always been a favorite amongst locals for their unique spirits and quirky personalities. If you’re a fan of their most popular products, 12 Bridges Gin or Trillium Absinthe, scour the local liquor stores and get what you can before it’s gone for good!

LINK

I think the absinthe was discontinued a while ago, but still see a lot of bottles on the shelves.

Trillium was not good IMO, but I thought it had some potential.

#117 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

Kinda sad in a way. But the market does have it's victims. Not a big bummer for the absinthe world but I'm always rooting for the little guys, especially when it comes to booze.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#118 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Couldn't agree with you more.

Sure to be repeated with all of the micro-distilleries blossoming here in the Pacific NW.
If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

Beware La Machine à décerveler! Oops, too late ...

#119 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

I think the absinthe was discontinued a while ago, but still see a lot of bottles on the shelves.

Trillium was not good IMO, but I thought it had some potential.

About 6 or 8 weeks ago, I went into a Portland liquor store and saw they had 375 ml bottles of Trillium on sale (previously Trillium was only sold in the 750 ml bottles, at least from what I had seen). Given that, and the fact that their website had gone dark at least a few months ago, I figured closure is where they were headed.

I agree with you about the Trillium on both counts. I've never tried the gin.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association