ETexas

Hiram's Product

That sounds very...volatile.

I had my first sample of Hiram's wonderful product over the weekend and I'd like to give a back slap and a "well done" out to the ringmaster here.

That is a truly beautiful sight and I can't wait to be able to order some from a stateside store!!

Agreed! I love the Marteau Verte Classique you tried last week but I suspect this will be very different.

My eyes were watering just doing it. Never underestimate the stinging power of a vat of 85% alcohol.

Clarification: a hot vat of 85% alcohol. Cleans out the ol' nasal passages, that's for damn sure. :twitchsmile:

You mean you guys are working on your non-distilled, macerated only, low anise free, authentic American steepsinthe products already? Here I thought I was going to beat everyone to the punch for once. Looks like I missed out again. Dang!

Ummm.... sorry to disagree but my guess would be that a "hot vat of 85% alcohol" would be the initial maceration.

I'll bet Mr. Hiram will eventually straighten it out. I'm guessing Chris* voted for the initial macerate step because the final distillation would probably be less than 85%. Or so I've been led to believe. It was the hot that made me think coloration.

*I just noticed the adjustment in your name!

Any of theses first releases going to drink Up NY? Down here in bayou country it is hard to find anything except Lucid or Grand Absente.

As soon as the label is approved we'll apply to get it into New York—then there's an annoying mandatory 60-day wait. But yes, I expect it will be available at DrinkUpNY.

I had my first sample of Hiram's wonderful product over the weekend and I'd like to give a back slap and a "well done" out to the ringmaster here.

That is a truly beautiful sight and I can't wait to be able to order some from a stateside store!!

Agreed! I love the Marteau Verte Classique you tried last week but I suspect this will be very different.

Yes it is. It's still got an assertive angelica note, but aside from that, it's pretty much a straight Pontarlier alá Duplais. Sorry, celery fans.

So is that photo the pre-distillation mixture or the coloration step or what?
That's actually the post-coloration step: proofing. So it's not hot at this point, but it has to be stirred vigorously each time an adjustment is made in order to get an accurate reading. Agitating it facilitates evaporation marvelously. :twitchsmile:

Thanks Hiram, I will be looking forward to a couple of bottles to start with. Gawd I am so delighted to know we have a good glass here soon, not even stump water helps some of the stuff we have to drink. Our hats are off to ya. :cheers:

It's still got an assertive angelica note.

Excellent!

I'd miss the angelica far more than the coriander...er, I mean celery. ;)

As soon as the label is approved we'll apply to get it into New York—then there's an annoying mandatory 60-day wait. But yes, I expect it will be available at DrinkUpNY.

Sixty days? Getting a firearm is easier.

But you know that old saying Guns don't kill people, hammers kill people..

-- T

Guns don't kill people, hammers kill people..

Brain Hammer. I just now got that. Wow, you'd never believe I studied French for 12+ years.

yes it is. Here especially.

I briefly studied Karate under a lunatic friend who would call me the Hammer. I still haven't figured out why, but once I started tattooing I tried to de-emphasize that nickname..... :devil:

Meanwhile, stocks are running low on the now-collectible Marteau Verte Classique. Gotta get 'em all!

Call me thick, but are you basically saying that now the US Marteau is due to come out, that the Matter distilled Verte Classique will no longer be produced? That's too bad if it's true, but on the bright side, I'm glad I tried the Classique, and I'm eagerly anticipating the US version.

"Satan has taken music and he has counterfeited it, convoluted it, twisted it, exploited it and now he's using it to hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer a message into the minds and the lifestyles of this generation." - Jimmy Swaggart sampled on The Incredible P.W.E.I. vs. the Moral Majority.

"Satan has taken music and he has counterfeited it, convoluted it, twisted it, exploited it and now he's using it to hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer a message into the minds and the lifestyles of this generation." - Jimmy Swaggart sampled on The Incredible P.W.E.I. vs. the Moral Majority.

Reminds me of the sample (of whom I forget) from Front 242: "Hey whore! You don't have to be a whore anymore!"

Wow...until you mentioned it, I'd forgotten how much I missed PWEI.

They were fun. Went to see them a long time ago. They were more drunk than any band I've ever seen play, with the possible exception of Alice in Chains.

I'd be surprised if it was only booze that Alice in Chains were on at the time... from what I've heard those guys hit various substances pretty hard.

They were fun. Went to see them a long time ago. They were more drunk than any band I've ever seen play, with the possible exception of Alice in Chains.

David Yow of the Jesus Lizard holds that record for me. I'm not convinced the man can work sober, and I saw them once at a 21+ show after they had already played an all ages matinee, so he was already one cooler full down by the time he came on stage for the show I saw.

Ha! Yeah I forgot about them. I went to one of their shows too. I really didn't need to see that guy's privates.

And as for Marteau, I'm excited about the traditional herb bill. Hiram, I'd love to know how big the batches are and anything you want to share about the equipment you are using. Are the results meeting your expectations?