Sign in to follow this  
dakini_painter

An American attempts shashlik

Boggy has graciously given me information on his Uncle's shashlik. This as much of a recipe that I have. I'm giving it a go, as best I can given my inferior equipment. I don't own a grill, let alone a proper shashlik grill. So I'm marinating overnight a chuck roast, and will bake in the oven tomorrow.

For 1-2kg of meat you need:

250ml of dry red wine

2 cloves of garlic

half a teaspoon of:

-cultivated mustard

-marjoram

-coriander

-basil

-rosmarine

-thyme

2 grains of pimento

2 juniper berries

Sprinkle the meat with herbs with olive oil so as to prevent it from drying. Marinate for at least one day.

I took 1/2 tsp each of the ground mustard, marjoram, basil, thyme, rosemary, ground coriander, added chopped garlic to taste, salt, and pepper, then added enough olive oil to make kind of a paste. I rubbed this all over the meat. I placed the meat in the marinating bowl, and slowly poured over the 250 ml dry red wine (I used a Chianti). I then took the two juniper berries, crushed them between my fingers, and added them to the marinate. I'm not sure what "2 grains of pimento" means. So I took a red bell pepper, removed the seeds and veins, chopped it up, and added that to the marinade as well.

I'll post pictures tomorrow after the cooking is done. I'm hoping it'll come out OK. We'll see.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, friend! :cheers:

I am very glad I could help. Everything sounds perfect to me. Chianti is even a better choice than we have had.

I meant Pimenta dioica but from what I am seeing it functions mainly under the name of "allspice" whereas pimento itself might mean red bell pepper (like in Portuguese), so although it caused confusion :devil: , set the recipe on the right track. Can't wait to see the pics-happy creating!

I'm not sure what "2 grains of pimento" means.

Allspice berries maybe?

Pimento grains or no, that sounds damn tasty.

That does sound good!

Can't wait to see the pics.

The recipe I found used lamb with eggplant, onions, tomatoes and green pepper on the skewer.

The shashlik was very good. I highly recommend it. A good friend said "I have a grill", "I have skewers", so we cooked it up over there. Which is where the camera was not. So no pictures (sadly).

And there were so many fireflies outside after dark, it was mesmerizing.

I had an evil stepbrother who used to catch fireflies and stuff 'em in my toddler pants while I screamed to get away.

Funny how some things jog old memories. :twitchsmile:

I was reading up on "Pimento Dram" as a liqueur and that's where I learned that in most contexts other than cocktail olives, pimento meant allspice. I had no idea.

It's reasonable that's where the units of "2 grains" is applicable.

...now I'm getting hungry. Must...find...grill...