Sign in to follow this  
PeterL

Hawking The Green Fairy

Not a bad article, plus they went to the right forum to get their info it seems... :thumbup:

I do wonder about the fifteen minutes thing. I know that there's no other spirit that I'd spend 75 - 100+ dollars on and I think that's pretty standard for most people who walk into a liquor store. Will people be willing to pay the price for this quality of flavor or will they try it once for the novelty then go back to wine in a box?

The Mansinthe review seemed unfair. I'm not a fan of it, but it does have some decent reviews.

I can't see the $75-100 price range continuing forever. Competition and a growing market/herb supply will bring those prices in line with other distilled spirits.

I'm also starting to wish people would stop referring to Marie-Claude as an absinthe authority. She certainly deserves credit for her pioneering historical research of ten years ago, but let's be serious. She doesn't drink the stuff, doesn't know how it's made, and gets all her opinions handed to her by a man who makes one of the least well thought of products on the market.

There still is no shortage of $100 bottles of wine, some of it good, some of it not. I think we'll definitely see some lower priced absinthes, but compromises will be made also. I'm sure there will always be a premium segment that makes smaller batches of absinthe using higher quality herbs and that will keep the price up there.

But given that you get 33 1-oz. pours out of a liter bottle of absinthe or about 22 1.5 oz pours, the cost per glass is really quite reasonable compared to something like a decent wine or fine single-malt scotch.

The best herbs available anywhere are already being used by uncompromising distillers to make bottles of absinthe that only cost $100 because of dodgy courier shipping from across the sea.

The best herbs available anywhere are already being used by uncompromising distillers to make bottles of absinthe that only cost $100 because of dodgy courier shipping from across the sea.

You misspelled $180.00

;)