Danny Hawaii

Feedback on my first review?

I've written my first review of an absinthe on Duplais Blanche and it turns out that someone's already ticked it as not being helpful to them.

I confess to being a little bummed by this, as I've been very deliberate about not reviewing anything until I felt I'd had enough experience with different absinthes, and seeing as I've tried over ten commercial brands and a pre-ban, I think I've reached that point.

All I can think of is that my scores ended up exactly the same as peridot's, but they're the numbers I came up with and I thought very carefully before I did so.

Anyway, not a big drama (even though it sounds like I'm making it into one), but I'm just wondering what others out there might think of my review.

Any tips or pointers?

Don't worry about it. At least you do reviews. Some people have not done any. All of mine were done at FV, before I came over here. Chances are, the person that ticked the box was really wanting a nice cool glass of K.O.S.G.

What's not to like?

Clear, concise and you give good reasons for each score awarded. There's nothing else to be done except to encourage you to write more reviews. Unfortunately for you, that means drinking more absinthe. :cheers:

Danny,

I think that's an excellent review. It's beautifully written, it's clear and hey, it makes me want to order a bottle. I felt weird writing my first review but now I really enjoy it. I think they help other people out as well as the site. I clicked helpful on yours because that's what it was.

The only other Blanche I've had is Kübler and I like that a lot, so I look forward to trying different brands I'm thinking they make for a more refreshing drink in hot weather.

Peter :twitchsmile:

Danny, Thank you for writing a review. It seems pretty clear and to the point. At least you have done it. I have not because I don't trust my palette to give a proper report. I WILL however check off when I don't feel a review gets to the heart of the drinks points of interest. Rating a drink with 4.0 stars and one sentence of narrative IS NOT helpful.

Yours on the other hand is nice.

Thanks again for contributing to the forum. :cheers:

Very nice review, Danny! :cheers:

I particularly like the term "pearlescent", rather than the more typical 'opalescent', it gave the image a nice, personal touch.

I liked your review. It's hard to know what someone is looking for when they read a review. Maybe they wanted to know if it was a good value for the money or something.

I liked seeing that some people are corresponding their comments with their component scores (aroma, finish, etc). That was a nice idea.

I was a little confused by the layout now with the expert reviewer heading, followed by the manufacturer's product info, then the actual expert review, then the reviews by the rest of us. At first I thought the expert review score (the number in the circle) was the overall score, and when I got to the review, it was like, who wrote this? Basically, the format for expert reviews is different from regular reviews, and that confused me. Just, imo, fyi.

I was a little confused by the layout now with the expert reviewer heading

What's this? Why? and, well, why? The expert reviewer is clearly not the same anonymous expert in every case, but obviously equally anonymous in each case. I don't get it. Can someone explain it to me?

Anonymous? Where is it anonymous?

Picture_5.png

I agree with Dakini that the layout of the upper part of the page is less than intuitive, but I didn't build it. I'll see about getting the review and info together.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm looking forward to putting up many more reviews, which means that for accuracy I will have to resample all previous absinthes.

Tough job.

I particularly like the term "pearlescent", rather than the more typical 'opalescent', it gave the image a nice, personal touch.

Yeah, well, opals aren't exactly exciting Down Under, they're strictly for the tourists. ;)

First of all, fine review Danny, very nice. Most reviewers have at least one review that "somebody" didn't find helpful, you just happened to have that person get to yours first.

Second, to Hiram, I didn't know that anyone can vote on a review, not just registered members. I don't know what your original motivation for that was, and I don't recall if you've spoken here about it specifically before, but is that really what we want, and do you really think that the general public will be best served that way?

Just askin'.

The expert reviewer is clearly not the same anonymous expert in every case, but obviously equally anonymous in each case. I don't get it. Can someone explain it to me?

You're a little off Pan. As Hiram illustrated above, there's no anonymity to it at all, it's just shown in a different area.

I would like to see it formatted the same though, because it definitely is a bit confusing when first viewed unless you know what you're looking for.

As for Speedle's question, I think it's a good idea, because we aren't just trying to disseminate information to registered members. We want the reviews to be an educational experience for anyone who is looking to buy an absinthe.

OK, I can see where making the finished reviews available to the widest possible audience is very useful to them and us. But I thought that you had to at least register for the site (as distinguished from the forum) to post a review, right?

Mostly what put all this into my mind was the recent review of the Mata Hari, (to be more specific, just click on the "Top Rated Absinthes" link on the left menu, versus the rating of Mata Hari when selected on its own.) and any review where there is a large disparity between the "professional" review and the user rating.

I'm the one who clicked your review as unhelpful, Danny: you Aussies are getting too uppity what with your kangaroos and Walkabouts and Men At Work. Damn your sexy Naomi Watts and talented Cat Empire!

Just kidding dude, good for you for taking the plunge and reviewing. With my "can't-smell-for-shit" condition I still feel a little timid about reviewing, but I'm gonna get over that pretty quick and start writing reviews too. :cheers:

Abbie cornish?

Oh, yes, Nicole Kidman Lite. ;)

Seriously, I wonder how much she freaked out over the way Heath Ledger died, so soon after co-starring with him in 'Candy'.

Nicole Kidman? Pah! She'll always be a BMX Bandit to me. Abbie Cornish has a warmer Grace Kelly approachability.

Umm, so, anyway ...

Candy was a very intimate film. It would have been horrible for her I bet. I'm simultaneously dreading and very much looking forward to The Dark Knight. It's going to be a strange movie to share with others in the cinema.

You're a little off Pan.

I'm way off. Like in la-la land. Nothing new about that. Guess I was dazzled by the "Expert" heading.

About reviews. My confidence in reviewing just ain't quite there yet.

I do better if I have something to compare it with at the same table.

Intentions are good but doing is far better and I thank all the reviewers. My life has been a bit hectic for the last few months and for me to attempt a proper review, a quiet place without distraction is what I need.

Hmm, my office after hours may be just the thing. :devil:

These are my excuses and I think they'll be rectified shortly. I want to be in the top 50 reviewers soon. A man needs goals. ;)

Look out Danny, I'm on my way to catch up. :cheers:

a quiet place without distraction is what I need.

Puddleville's quiet. Well, after the young'uns go to bed, anyway. Hasn't helped me get any reviews done though. Stop by, maybe we can work on some together.

I know a great place for you guys to meet!

Quiet (most of the time).

Beautiful (almost always).

The booze is usually good with an absolutely unbeatable price. :cheers:

Look out Danny, I'm on my way to catch up. :cheers:

You better hurry up. Some flying monkeys just brought me a bottle of Marteau and Montmartre. ;)

This is going to be a great weekend.