scuto

Cape Cod Times article on absinthe

Madness in a bottle?

As you can see from the title, I did have some issues with the article. It seems to have focused on "balance" as opposed to accuracy, but it's getting the conversation started here on-Cape, which I appreciate. I especially enjoyed the author's description of her own absinthe experience, and I will be praising it in my letter.

In my letter I'm having difficulty fitting things into the 200-word limit. I've had to forgo the thujone conversation entirely, though I hope their link to oxygenee.com and my link to here will help interested readers. I do have a couple sentences about the fire, and some other basic info. I'm more bummed that the space allowed doesn't let me talk about Kübler or the verte/blanche thing, or different flavor profiles.

I'll keep y'all posted as to if/when my letter is published.

Heheh, indeed. My brother and I hope to head there sometime this week, as it's just the next town over.

Fire me a PM if/when you know you'll be going, and we can meet up there if you like. A mini-meeting of WS on-Cape! They have delicious pomme frites. (sp?)

There's a good amount of folks here now. Sunday night I went on a much needed joyride in my dad's Miata 'round the shore route, and the Heights had a good amount of folks walking. It was just after sunset. A lovely night for a drive!

Are the Heights where you usually stay?

I wonder if we can get any other WS folks in the area down for the evening...

I've noticed a trend amongst bartenders. They seem to do the "fire" thing just to appease some customer expectations, but then douse it right away with a fountain and proceed to drip away dissolving the sugar into the absinthe. Sadly, I also see that under-watering also seems to have take hold at the same time.

@ WBT - How do you know about the almighty Kappy's?!? ;) I'm looking forward to seeing NO and CLB there quite a bit! I may also see if some of the small fine wine and liquor stores are able to acquire some of the smaller U.S. absinthes, too. Damn MA regs prevent shipment of liquor directly to me by distros.

@ speedle - Good point. There is a matter of degree, and it's a little (but only a little!) heartening that they light *only* the sugar cube on fire for a brief moment. Hmm, under-watering--not a happy thing, and could certainly turn off first-timers. I'll have to see about getting them to let me prepare the drink myself. I wonder if they will.