bksmithey

pastis vs. absinthe

Thanks to T73, i just got myself a bottle of Henri Bardouin.

Me too! Mine should be arriving today, the UPS man came yesterday but no adults were home to sign. I have a bottle of the HB and a bottle of Herbsaint in that box :)

It's one of the few things I can get locally. I'll check the price first chance.

These guys have it but it's slightly expensive (as I recall). I shop with them quite a bit.*

*Are you listening Leopold & Sonja? :wave2:

Mine is coming from Sam's Wines in Chicago, but I just checked and now a search comes up empty. I just ordered it a week or so ago, so perhaps they're just out of stock right now. I did find it at a couple of places, but Sam's was the only one that had all of HB pastis, Herbsaint, and Sazerac rye :)

Thanks for the link, T. I checked it out, and my browser says they have an invalid security certificate, so I couldn't try a transaction and see if they will ship to me. Sadly, almost nobody will ship to me, here in the happy Great Lakes state, other than DrinkupNY.

I smuggled the only bottle of HB I've ever had from SF a little over a year ago. I wonder how it's aged. :twitchsmile:

I don't think we should bring fecal matter into the discussion of liquor stores run by elderly asian/native american/ hispanic women. ;)

I had my first glass of the HB pastis last night. Very nice. More balanced than the Ricard, definitely less sweet than the Ricard. The color before water is added is a pretty straw yellow, I wonder if the color is natural? I didn't see any mention of artificial color on the label, while the Ricard does admit to caramel color. The HB louched very nicely, quickly as expected for 45% alc., but a really beautiful layering. Thanks T73 and others for the recommendation, it's a really nice drink.

That's almost as bad as that Linda Blair picture we use to scare the hell out of unsuspecting friends and relatives. :devil:

The color before water is added is a pretty straw yellow, I wonder if the color is natural? I didn't see any mention of artificial color on the label, while the Ricard does admit to caramel color.

By law it has licorice root and that adds a yellow color. If it has additional artificial color it must be stated on the label.

Thanks cowbwoy. I wasn't aware that there was a coloration step in pastis production, I was assuming the spirit would be clear as it came from the still, and would get color from either wood aging or artificial coloration. But at this link they describe the process where they assemble some of the pre-distillation infusion with the distilled spirit in making the final product. The infusion would add the color.

I know some were looking for Henri Bardouin Pastis a while back, looks like Sam's Wine has it back in stock at a good price! Much cheaper than Mission (T73 mentioned that it was a bit expensive at Mission). Conveniently, Sam's can also provide Sazerac Rye in the same order :)

By the way, a little off topic for this thread, but has anybody else had the Sazerac from Sam's? The website claims it's a 10 year old, I think the standard "baby Saz" is 6 years? The bottle I had from Sam's had a sticker on it that it was a special selection for Sam's, I believe it had a barrel number listed on it, but no specific age statement on the sticker. I'll probably ask Sam's for additional details when I place my next order, but just wondering if anybody has had a chance to taste a Sam's special along side the regular baby Saz.

I'm not familiar with the 10 year old.

I have gone through several bottles of the "baby" Sazerac and a few bottles of the 18 year old Sazerac. They've done a nice job of helping me develop a nice appreciation of Rye.

Let us know if you discover any additional information on the 10 year old, please.

Email has been sent to Sam's with a few questions, I'll let you know if I learn anything.

Just finished my bottle a few nights ago (actually, the wife finished it), so the empty was still in the garage, hadn't gone to the recycling yet. The extra gold sticker (you can see a little of it on the picture at Sam's web site) reads:

Hand Selected by:

Sam's Wine & Spirits

Barrel #150 - Batch #2

Seems to imply that it's a single barrel bottling, I don't know if that's the case for the standard 6 year Sazerac.

(T73 and others, if/when I get a reply from Sam's I'll probably post the info in a new thread, as we're drifting from the pastis topic)

Legendre, Jung & Wulff, and Yochim, tried lobbying in 1934 for an appellation designating their products as New Orleans Absinthe, but were unable to get approval to use the term.

Sorry to totally resurrect this thread, but since there were literally only two references to Yochim in the WS forums, I thought I'd add a pic of my latest acquisition here. :)

yochim.JPG

I wish I was you Brian.

A little off topic but was there ever an absinthe from the Belle Epoch called Nouvelle-Orleans? I'm wondering because all the Jades are recreations of Belle-Epoch absinthes except there is no mention of what absinthe Nouvelle-Orleans was recreated from. Also the label of the Yochim is similar to Jade Nouvelle-Orleans.

Nouvelle Orleans is the only Jade that isn't actually intended as a repro, but rather as an original creation that is supposed to put one in mind of Belle Epoque New Orleans.

I've always picked up subtle hints of curry, and Old Bay™ in NO, so I rather think Ted achieved his aim. :laugh:

Curry? Really? That's interesting. It's been so long since I've had NO, I tried when it first came out, but I do remember it hauing some spicy flavors in there.

It's not called Nouvelle Orleans, Nouvelle Orleans refers the location in New Orleans.

In time I'll publish what I have on the New Orleans assoc.