• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Nouveau

Nouveau

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:45 AM

For a cozy absinthe night out visit Polly Bar at 401 Brunswick Street Fitzroy. The ambience is Victorian (ie era) eclectic with comfortable furnishings and warm sensuous colours. Owned by the lovely Enzo and Mary, the bar itself is headed by Dave and Justin who will make your absinthe experience pretty much complete for Australian standards and they know what they are talking about.

They have the Lemercier water fountain and the 2 and 4 tap traditional fountains where you can sit at the bar and help yourself to:

Duplais Verte, Verte de Fougerolles, Blanche de Fougerolles, Kübler, Lemercier 45%, Lemercier 72%, Mansinthe. And of course the Jade Edouard and the Verte Suisse which used to flow out the door when it was in stock... but we won't talk about that! They also stock the usual suspects such as La Fée.

Soon they may also have those addictively delicious liquid centred chocolate absinthe truffles. ;)
www.absinthesalon.com.au Purveyor of quality absinthes in Australia. Sydney boutique and licensed salon now open in Surry Hills.

#2 Nouveau

Nouveau

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:09 AM

When shipment finally arrives in September, Polly Bar above will be stocking the Jades again, this time the Edouard and Nouvelle Orléans as well as Eichelberger and Obsello.

Something more for Melbournians to look forward to.
www.absinthesalon.com.au Purveyor of quality absinthes in Australia. Sydney boutique and licensed salon now open in Surry Hills.

#3 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:46 PM

Going to have to talk someone into taking me there when I get to Sydney.....providing it's still in business.
Sounds like a lovely place. I'm thinking I'm going to have to keep home firmly in mind to make sure I return.
:cheers:

...and for several hours we forgot that we were the beast's prey... Brotherhood of the Wolf

If you're riding my ass, you'd best be pulling my hair.

#4 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

Posted Image
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#5 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

• 2,632 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

I think I recognize those guys!!! :tongue:

...and for several hours we forgot that we were the beast's prey... Brotherhood of the Wolf

#6 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

:cheers:

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#7 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

• 2,632 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:44 PM

:cheers: back at ya my friend.

Are those friends of your's???

#8 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

Zombies!

#9 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

• 2,632 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:01 PM

Yea, I kinda picked up on that. :devil: The smart-ass in my nature is asserting itself. It has a way of doing that when I'm not paying attention. :blush:

I'm noticing that "ass" has popped up twice in this post, my cue to take my ass for a soak.

First things first, however.....prepare a glass of absinthe! ( one can't let priorities slide after all )
:)

#10 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:37 AM

Bar Ampere looks good. Nice video and write-up here.

Although I didn't like the first sentence of the write-up:

"Whoever's responsible for absinthe's publicity needs to be sacked."

www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#11 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

Hmmm Upsinthe from WA. Thats my state, wonder what its like..

#12 JakeBarnes

JakeBarnes

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

I had a look online and couldn't find anything. Gaye and Joop at the salon say they have been sent some pretty awful sample bottles from distillers around the country so the fact they don't stock it probably says something about its quality. I could be wrong though.

I did find these two WA absinthes though:

http://www.distiller...u/absinthe.html

The emphasis on "maximum thujone content" doesn't bode well with that one, not does the colour.

https://secure.thegr...irits.php#p_116

I've actually smelt this one, it's awful - "Green Fairy" brand Czechsinthe awful. 

Isn't it pretty to think so?

#13 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:13 AM

Hmm interesting find mate. I tried a brief search for Upsinthe and couldnt find much.. Did Gaye and Joop mention any samples from WA?

Metricup in Margaret River is well known for good white wines. The other one is from Albany, a remote outpost south of the state. I wonder where they are sourcing their wormwood and other herbs from.

Im intrigued by those. Just intrigued... because they look like small batch distillers in a remote part of the state/country where the term absinthe doesnt really exist in the local vocabulary...

Dont even bother with the Green Fairy its not real absinthe at all.

#14 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

No thread yet for the "Great Southern Absinthe Bitters"  So feel free to start one. :)

I started one for "The Grove" offering, one Aussie reported back with very low scores, looks like total crap.

http://wormwoodsocie...batch-absinthe/

:puke:  1.8 out of 5

And the Upsynth, note the spelling with a y, that's why you didn't get a search hit. It has some mention here in WS pages.

It has a distributor in Western Australia, but it is actually made in Western Austria.

http://www.upsynth.com/index_en.html

http://www.upsynth.c...irit/4561324098

It is a non-louche, faux, low anise spirit.  The US label (US requires mention) has artificial FD&C  color added.  Avoid that one

#15 JakeBarnes

JakeBarnes

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info on upsynth Louchey, no wonder we couldn't find anything. Looks awful!

I might go ahead and start a thread on the "Great Southern Absinthe Bitters" just as an informative thing, I wont be buying a bottle any time soon, that's for sure.

The Grove sent a bottle to Gaye and Joop, that's where I smelt it - I didn't want to taste it.

Oh and sadly I drank a lot of that green fairy shit back when I was an idiot 18 year old. I almost want to throw up just thinking about it

#16 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

Perhaps Bar Ampere should update their spelling of Upsynth and that its from W. Austria instead of Australia ... just not to confuse us

So we have the Great Southern Bitters yet to have been tasted?.

I might contact them to see if they have a sample for review.

#17 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

.. Austria instead of Australia ... just not to confuse us

austrian_kangaroo.jpg

#18 JakeBarnes

JakeBarnes

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:13 AM

Fantastic Louchey! I thnk the whole Austria/Austrian thing is more annoying to Austrians than to us, at least Australis is easy for peope to locate on the map.[

quote name="gee13" post="299022" timestamp="1383888826"]Perhaps Bar Ampere should update their spelling of Upsynth and that its from W. Austria instead of Australia ... just not to confuse us
So we have the Great Southern Bitters yet to have been tasted?.
I might contact them to see if they have a sample for review.[/quote]

Im more than happy to let you o e for the team on the bitters mate!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association