PeterL

Marilyn Manson Interview on Absinthe

I came across the following interview with Marilyn Manson regarding Absinthe.

Thinking here's a person with his own brand and yet you'll find he compares Absinthe to an Opiate and Thujone to be a hallucinogenic so powerful and wonderful, that he travels around with little dropper bottles of it.

Considering his core audience is quite young and impressionable, it's irresponsible and potentially harmful. I would think having his own Absinthe "Mansithe" he would know a bit more. Here's the link: http://www.revolvermag.com/content/marilyn-manson-and-slayer

Peter :twitchsmile:

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he would like us too much. All the work WS does and this nimrod reaches more people with his drivel in one concert than WS and FV does in a week.

(King from Slayer)

REVOLVER Manson, will you be taking a road case full of absinthe on the road with you this summer?

MANSON Yeah, I have a special road case built for it. I’m not even joking.

KING I just have the Jäger boys drop their stuff off at every show! [Laughs]

MANSON Absinthe has a similar type of damage level to Jägermeister...

KING Oh, this is a lot more damaging!

MANSON I don’t get a hangover from this, and I don’t ever really get drunk.

KING You will with me on tour! [Laughs]

MANSON No, I don’t mean I don’t try to get drunk, but absinthe is not an alcohol thing. It gets you strange—it’s an opiate sort of thing, which is what makes it kind of like Jäger. It’s not the alcohol; it’s the other element, wormwood, which is in the Bible. God sent it down to earth to punish man for his sins. So it’s gotta be good! [Laughs] Wormwood, when you distill it, makes this thing called thujone; it’s like the equivalent of THC in marijuana. I have a guy who sends it to me in a dropper; I can put it in Kool-Aid—you don’t even need the alcohol.

Dipshit.

Dipshit.

Worse than a Dipshit. I've read articles that absolutely slam any comparison between Thujone and THC.

You also raise a great point about his reach ~ so many people will take his word regarding Absinthe as Gospel.

You would have thought he learned something in formulating his own Absinthe. But based on Mansons statements my guess he just lent his name for the bucks....and continues on in sheer idiocy.

Peter :twitchsmile:

It sounds to me like Manson is saying that Jager and absinthe will BOTH make you trip ballz. But the absinthe has no hangover.

...thujone; it’s like the equivalent of THC in marijuana. I have a guy who sends it to me in a dropper; I can put it in Kool-Aid—you don’t even need the alcohol.

Is he SURE that he's getting thujone? I can think of a few other things that come in droppers that will make you trip ballz.

It reads like middle school kids BSing during lunch break or something.

w3rd.

Mr. Manson usually carries himself well in interviews, he comes across as more intelligent than this. But for a man that has his name attached to a product ... he really doesn't know much about it.

I'm surprised. What a d**khead. :thumbdown:

I keep trying to convince myself that he was quoted out of context or he was being tongue in cheek or that Revolver edited the article ... but there's just too much of a conversation included there for me to do that.

Bloody Jäger bombs.

He's just misinformed and probably trying to act "cool" in front of the other guys.

I don't think it does anything bad for Absinthe. It gets more people into it and then they find the truth themselves. If they don't find the truth then they are the ones missing out and looking like idiots in the end.

I'm pretty sure 95% of people here and on other Absinthe forums first thought Absinthe was an hallucinogen or something similar when they first heard about it.

Danny/Mr Ricki Scrin, agreed, I don't think he was quoted out of context and more than likely just having a bit of one up manship with the Slayer guy and his Jäger. After all, it is his nature to say things that will cause a stir one way or another.

Markus kindly organised for us to go backstage when Marilyn was in Sydney to sign a few bottles for us and believe me he knows exactly what absinthe is and what it isn't.

I hope it does not contribute to any difficulties in Mansinthe entering the US.

I keep trying to convince myself that he was quoted out of context or he was being tongue in cheek or that Revolver edited the article ... but there's just too much of a conversation included there for me to do that.

Don't be too sure; I was quoted recently saying "Any spirit flavored with wormwood qualifies as absinthe." Fortunately, it was corrected before going to press.

I guess calling him a Double-Income-No-Kids Head is a little harsh. I could even see myself having some of the same tongue-in-cheek fun with people that didn't know better.

First of all ,I think it's ridiculous that he has his own absinthe. Can you imagine Jon Bon Jovi having his own absinthe? Or for that matter, how about Dean Martin? (RIP)

Most of Marilyn's listeners are a bunch of kids. The more controversy his brand has, the more publicity. That equals more sales. He's in this buisness to make a buck. Unfortunately, Marilyn is not out to educate, like this web site.

I have had Mansinthe and it's ok, but I mean,Sammy Hagar has a Tequila that is supposed to compare favorably with Patron, and I'll in all likelihood not taste it unless given a sample. I just can't get behind celebrity endorsements. I'd feel like I was drinking Newmans Own or something if I bought a bottle of Mansinthe or Cabo Wabo or Fred Flintstones Bronto Soda or whatever.

:dry:

First of all ,I think it's ridiculous that he has his own absinthe. Can you imagine Jon Bon Jovi having his own absinthe? Or for that matter, how about Dean Martin? (RIP)

With Dean, it would make a lot of sense. ;)

Dean.jpg

Sammy Hagar does indeed have a tequila--I don't believe he just endorses it, but that he started the company. Wikipedia doth decree he commissioned the tequila from a distillery in Jalisco for his restaurants. Oop--just got to the part where he sold 80% of the company in 2007. Whoops.

I was given a bottle of the Reposado and it's a quality tequila. It's worth trying if you're at a bar that has it.

On the subject, I care for his music or "public persona," but he knows a good tequila.

That's a great graphic of Dean! The celeb sponsors are out of control. I love how Marilyn takes most of the credit for developing the flavor.

Anyway, If I had my way, I would develop a Don Knotts absinthe. The possibilities are endless...

Yeah considering Manson should know better it's obvious it's just all a bunch of marketing BS. The appearance of being dangerous and hardcore sells.

I would love to see,

•The Hoff Sinthe

and

•Chuck Norris Roundhouse Absinthe (the bottle would be shaped like chuck Norris's foot and would be unbreakable).

As much as I'd like to see as much real absinthe info out there, it's hard to blame Manson. His career is all about hardcore hype and his absinthe comments are nothing different. This is what people expect and that's what they get. This is how he makes a buck.

For example, I checked out a cached La Fee page where his record company's spokesperson is quoted as saying, "He likes to drink half a bottle before going on stage to get in the mood for a performance." I don't know about anyone else, but I'm thinking that if I actually drank half a bottle of any actual absinthe that the only performance I would be able to put on would be mumbling incoherently and maybe drooling down my shirt. So just more hype.

My only question is that if Manson is going to make even his absinthe into a hype thing why he went so far as to make it an authentic type of absinthe. Why not go for Hill's Mansinthe?

Because he also drinks it, not just uses it for hype. He wanted something palatable.

I agree. It would not look good for him to have made a Czechsinthe and and hype that while drinking something good like Balance.

I would love to see,

•The Hoff Sinthe

and

•Chuck Norris Roundhouse Absinthe (the bottle would be shaped like chuck Norris's foot and would be unbreakable).

I'd like to see a label featuring Dr. Johnny Fever passed out at the turntable.

Lies!

ALL Chuck Norris absinthe is pre-ban. He roundhouse kicked so fast his foot travelled back in time, knocked Henri Pernod on the back of the head and communicated to him with a toe-wiggle that he must store ten million bottles relabelled with the Norris brand.

I sense a Photoshop project coming on (not from me, though)...