density

Obsello Absenta

Just got back today from Spain, where I met with Obsello (albeit all too briefly). We talked absinthe, and were able to convince the waiter to allow us to louche up a few next to the Royal Palace in Madrid.

I was lucky enough to try some of the Special Reserve that will be coming out soon. That stuff is crazy good. Almost completely different in regards to aroma, flavor and mouthfeel when compared to the regular Obsello. I'm looking forward to picking up some bottles when it's available.

2965092835_cee6c32d62_b.jpg

Same goes with the gin he had me try as well. :cheers: Was able to get about 40cl of each back home too.

So, Obsello, did you end up being able to see some more of the city? I had a pizza waiting for me. Yes, we did an anniversary dinner at the pizza place. There's lots of mushy history there.

Ever since The Abyss...

You talkin' bout the movie or the deep crannies of younger years, Old TimerTM?

Two birds, one stone, BAUB, but the question is...

How'd you find out about my trysts with Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio? :shock: :devil:

The picking a lock line was really funny. I have been working on a gin and I am a little worried about the general drinking audience having some issues with this.

Cheers,

B. Alex

I say make that seal a standard on all your products, good things are worth working for.

:thumbup:

Also eagerly awaiting this Special Reserve you mention

It's extremely floral and fresh, but at the same time quite rich. I jokingly called it an absinthe that had just stepped out of the shower.

The seal and cork are fine. There are some bottles with wax seals that are just regular corks and I keep plenty of T-corks around.

I'm interested in the gin as well. Aw hell, I'm interested in the specialreserve as well.

Pass the booze please. B)

:cheers:

Glad you had a nice time in Spain, Shabba! Nice photo too!

Thanks for the news on the Special Reserve! Sounds like something delicious to try if the opportunity arises.

I tried Obsello for the first time yesterday, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit (enjoying it more and more as the bottle breathes and those interesting light and subtle notes come out to play).

Got mine from DUNY. I've always had good service from them (plus the free shipping on $99+). Wish they'd carry Leopold (since WA liqour stores have yet to stock it). Great to hear they might be offering the Reserve!

I got my bottle of Obsello from DUNY today. I ordered it Tuesday, so I'm quite pleased with the shipping time. I'm having my first glass of it now.

My initial impression is pretty good. I opened the bottle several hours before I poured a glass and did a 1:3 with ice cold spring water. Color was light but OK . Nice and clear. Anise seemed to be well ahead in the forefront. Louche was pretty quick. Fresh smelling after the water. I'm almost done with the first glass now and it's pretty good. I wish there was more wormwood up front in the mix. I'm mostly tasting anise and vanilla maybe? Nice mouth feel and a pleasant lingering taste. Creamy. As I'm almost done with the first glass as I'm typing, I notice a little more wormwood as the glass comes to room temp. A good thing!

My favorite Absinthes are 1797 Roquette, 1901, and La Coquette, so I prefer a more complex absinthe, but the Obsello is a fine refreshing drink. I'd say it's a great introduction to absinthe or a fine day to day absinthe. I imagine that when this bottle is dusty, I'll order another.

I'm off to fix another glass! :cheers:

I just noticed that the BEVMO web site is referencing to the Wormwood Society's rating and reviews in their absinthe descriptions. Has this been brought up before, and I just missed it?

From their site:

Obsello Absinthe 750ml (750 ML)

Price: $56.99

4 STARS-Wormwood Absinthe Society. GOLD MEDAL 2008-Beverage Tasting Institute. 100% Real Wormwood, no artificial coloring or flavoring. Traditional distilled Absinthe. 95% UV resistant bottle.

I picked up a bottle at Bevmo tonight on my way home from work. I find it overly citrusey, and I don't think that citrus tone mixes well with the obvious mint flavors. It doesn't suck, but I would not buy it again.

I do agree that certain tastes mellow with a little aging. My bottle of St. George isn't nearly as basily as it was when I bought it 10 months ago. I usually do go back after a while for second impressions.

So, Obsello, did you end up being able to see some more of the city? I had a pizza waiting for me. Yes, we did an anniversary dinner at the pizza place. There's lots of mushy history there.

Hello Shabba,

Thanks for meeting me in Madrid. I managed to get around a little and do some sight seeing. I make it out of my core Lleida, Barcelona circuit so rarely that it is a real treat to just look around and enjoy the architecture. I mean it I live in Spain, I should do this more often.

I am glad you liked the special edition! I was a little worried it would be to extreme. I think you guys will like it, but I am not to sure about releasing it to a general audience.

By the way Shabba, savor it, You have the only existing prototype and colas take a long time. The gin will be coming soon. It got picked up by 2 distributors today! Wahoo! It is the first gin I know of distilled in a seasoned absinthe still. The only problem with it is I can only make small amounts, because I have to maintain the absinthe seasoning in the still.

Cheers,

B. Alex

So here's my pitch for Obsello's new ad campaign:

obsellosm.jpg

It should help them cut into Mansinthe's niche market... :devil:

Hey B. Alex, how soon can we start putting up those billboards?

Seriously, I'd just received my bottle from DUNY (after chasing the UPS driver all over town), and I was playing a ghost in a movie, so I decided to combine the two events. My wife (who has her Masters in FX makeup) did a number on me, eh?

Nice work and Kudos to the wife, too. Very nice indeed!

Don't be surprised if you get a "Don't call us..." message from Obsello.

I am glad you liked the special edition! I was a little worried it would be to extreme. I think you guys will like it, but I am not to sure about releasing it to a general audience.

You'll never know until you try, now will you? Give it a go in the US market and we'll have it drunk up in no time!

Retrogarde, you'd better take that photo down before Stromu superimposes Djabel Absinth into your hands and uses the photo for their own advertising means...

Retrogarde, you'd better take that photo down before Stromu superimposes Djabel Absinth into your hands and uses the photo for their own advertising means...

Don't worry, all my photos have a built-in code that prevents Czech tampering. It's called a "Soviet Block". :thumbdown:

Wow, that's the best I could come up with??

Don't worry, all my photos have a built-in short, angry Russian to prevent Czech tampering. It's called a "Czech-Off".

Don't worry, all my photos have a built-in gay, angry Czech to prevent tampering. The program is called "The Czech Is In The Male".

Sorry.

Jeez T, did you have to make it look like I wrote those? You got some nerve puttin' words in my mouth! :puke:

But thanks for the kind words about my wife's skills, I'll pass it along.

Oh, and Dakini: I liked your description so much I made it my title! :cheers:

That was rather sad, wasn't it? It's fairly obvious why I didn't go into comedy writing.

Maybe musical comedies would've been more your forte. :laugh:

:::Ducks and covers::: :paperbag3: