268 replies to this topic

#241 djbat

djbat

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:12 AM

Over bitter thick dark beers are nasty as it is.

:sarc:

Yeah, I really hates me some Bells Expedition Stout, or Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti.

I'm just not into over-thick, yeast bomb chewy beer - Some people can just choke 'em down I guess. More power to ya! :yahoo:

#242 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,274 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

'nyway, aren't you ever to be taken seriously :poke:

:sarc:

Of course.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#243 Billie Chrysler

Billie Chrysler

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

I'll swing by the newcomer's section when I get a minute, right now I have to run and try and return that bottle of Grande Absente. What would your advice be for a good, first-timer's absinthe? I'm looking for something that one could appreciate without an established taste for absinthe. I was thinking Lucid, but the issue is that it's hard to find stores around here that sell any absinthe, let alone a good selection of it. So i was looking for suggestions i could make a list of, and if a store has one I'll buy it.

#244 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:01 PM

Search is your friend. ;)

Some common questions not covered in the FAQ but which have been addressed repeatedly in the forums, please search before asking:

My First Absinthe Purchase: what should it be?
I bought _____ , did I get ripped off?
Shipping/Vendor questions: How long? Who? Where is my order? How reliable is ___?
Absinthe in Canada and Australia
Homemade absinthe from essences and kits
Legal absinthe substitutes
Sugar or no sugar
Making or acquiring fountains or spigots

Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#245 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 913 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

What would your advice be for a good, first-timer's absinthe? I'm looking for something that one could appreciate without an established taste for absinthe.

Lucid is okay, but I would advise you to start with either Vieux Pontarlier or Duplais Verte, both of which are available from DrinkupNY. Since you are on Long Island, I think you should be able to order from them quite easily.
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#246 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

I'm on LI too.... Vieux Pontarlier is a good way to start for quality and price...So is La Clandestine as a blanche. Order from DUNY!

#247 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 913 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:45 AM

Agreed re La Clandestine, which is hands down the best blanche at DUNY. Duplais Blanche is pretty good, but not in the same class as the Duplais Verte.

#248 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

Hey Marlow... I got Duplais Balance instead of Duplais Verte based on the reviews here. It seems people really like Balance more...Not really a true barometer I suppose, but it is what I had as a reference. It seems very well made to me...I guess I'll hope for a sample trade with someone to try the Duplais Verte

Edited by sbmac, 21 March 2010 - 11:48 AM.

#249 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 913 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

I've never tried the Duplais Balance, so I cannot compare it with the Duplais Verte. I stayed away from Duplais for a long time, because I just couldn't bring myself to buy something with such an idiotic label. When they dressed it up respectably for the US market, I relented. The Duplais Verte is quite good and somewhat underrated in my opinion.

#250 djbat

djbat

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:34 PM

...update that really needs no updating.

My bottle of Grande Absente is now in the recycling bin. It's still got candy in it. I don't mean that as in "alcohol" or "absinthe" candy. I mean that as in if someone took a pack of good and plenty, some weak moonshine and ten cups of fucking sugar and blended it all in liquify for 2 minutes.

The old fake "Absente" is better then Grande Absente. How's that for ending this thread?

This stuff is what Strawberry Shortcake throws up after a bender.

I would risk jail time driving down to the corner liquor store just to buy Popov so I could wash the taste of this crap out of my mouth.

So in the immortal words of Grand Master Flash... "DON'T DO IT!"

#251 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

The old fake "Absente" is better then Grande Absente. How's that for ending this thread?

This thread may be coming to an end or we could now use it for the 4th "absinthe" from the company that bought you Absente: the new Michel P. Roux Supreme. Again with some artificial colours, again with sugar but now 151 proof.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#252 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:04 AM

I've had the Elisir M.P.Roux, back when I first became interested in absinthe but could not yet buy it domestically. At the time, it seemed to be a related product. I didn't really like it very much, kinda sickly-sweet tasting to me.
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#253 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

I bet it will be pretty much the same as the others. Only difference will be more alcohol, smaller bottle, and each bottle numbered to make it look like a small artisinal product. The insides will be the same.

#254 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,274 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

I didn't really like it very much, kinda sickly-sweet tasting to me.

Indeed.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#255 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

I bet it will be pretty much the same as the others. Only difference will be more alcohol, smaller bottle, and each bottle numbered to make it look like a small artisinal product. The insides will be the same.

Very astute observation.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin and vodka.
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#256 Jen Dixon

Jen Dixon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:17 AM

Forgive me if this has been quoted before, but I just read an article from 2001 (BusinessWeek):

However, I suspect that Absente could be a surprise success. English, who is plugged into the underground art and music scene in gritty sections of Brooklyn and Jersey City, says hip young musicians are starting to hold Absente parties and are adopting the drink in droves. And as Roux knows better than anyone, what hip outsiders are drinking now sets the pace. "They'll be drinking Absente in fraternities in five years," English predicts. "This stuff really gets a party going."

Though I'm not a 'hip young musician' I remember trying to get my friends into Absente back then; most of them didn't like it at all. I drank loads of it at the time as it was available at our local liquor store.
I sometimes wonder what I'd think of it after all this time and quality absinthe mileage...
I'm Jen, artist and dork. I used to run an absinthe shop. You can also find me at:
http://www.regularjen.com, Twitter @regularjen
http://jendixonarts.com, what I do for a living
http://www.flickr.co...tos/regularjen/, pics
http://absinthehour.com, Twitter @absinthehour

#257 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:16 PM

I hadn't seen discussion of this recently, but I could have missed it. Sometimes I'm out of the loop you know. :twitchsmile:

I get (free) a magazine called "Bartender". Looks like they got my name from the NYSLA mailing list.

The issue I got today has the center pages taken up with ads for Grande Absente. Claims to now be made according to the original 1860 recipe. 69% ABV Maybe it's always been like this. I'll take a pic of the ads and post them. That way you get to see how the big players spend their marketing dollars.

Not many historical pre-bans have come down to us from the 1860's, so maybe this will be a real revelation, right? We can all learn, I know I can. :arrr:

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#258 djbat

djbat

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

The issue I got today has the center pages taken up with ads for Grande Absente. Claims to now be made according to the original 1860 recipe. 69% ABV

I wonder if they'll still add 10 cups of sugar and neon green coloring to it, yet unless they'll also send free bottles to people, I doubt I'll ever buy another.

#259 Quartermaster James

Quartermaster James

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:36 PM

I wonder if they'll still add 10 cups of sugar and neon green coloring to it, yet unless they'll also send free bottles to people, I doubt I'll ever buy another.

If the bottle I bought when I started this adventure not so very long ago is any indication: yes. http://wormwoodsocie...h...st&p=209726

On another point raised here: what qualifies an Absinthe as being good for a beginner? Aside from the Jades, the price point is pretty equal: $65-80/bottle, on average. If price is the issue, why not recommend a $45 bottle of Obsello over a $60 bottle of Lucid or a $65 bottle of Pacifique? And if you're going to shell out $60 for a bottle of Lucid, why not spring the extra $10-20 for something really special? Just curious, mind you. My philosophy is really hedonistic: drink the good stuff! It's not as though we're talking about malt, and the difference between a $40 and a $300 bottle.

#260 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:10 AM

QMJ, I think the reason people sometimes toss around Lucid as a good beginner absinthe as opposed to the Obsello you mentioned is because Obsello is a Spanish Absenta. Those traditionally have a slightly different profile from that of a Franco-Swiss profile. So depending on what you want your first experience to be, Obsello may not be the first choice.

I happen to like Obsello a lot. It's one of my go-to absinthes, to be honest. It's also one that I usually let others try. Some people find it more agreeable to their palate than others.

So if you see recommendations for Lucid over Obsello for beginners, that's generally the reason. As for why one would spend $60 instead of $70, that's a personal choice. We provide advice here, we provide reviews, and we strive to make sure people don't have the same crappy first experience that many of us had. But in the end, the buyer is going to choose for themselves.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#261 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:29 AM

The reasons I like to introduce folks to Lucid and Kübler is that it's just about everywhere I go. If the "new to absinthe" person tries and likes something they can't get local they tend to lose interest in the drink. Besides, Lucid and Kübler are decent brands and I'm glad they're right down the street. People can order better and worse if they choose. I will certainly offer them better drinks if they like the introductory booze.

I try to share the good stuff but I won't if the new person doesn't like the others. Precious doesn't like pre-ban so she doesn't drink absinthe at all. I buy her Pepsi. She likes it and leaves my booze alone. :devil:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#262 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:45 AM

Ah yes, availability has a huge factor in why Lucid is frequently recommended. Don't let Bill's youth defy his wisdom! He's pretty smart for such a young man.

And he's been blessed that Precious isn't only awesome, but she has no taste for his booze. High five!
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#263 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:23 AM

... we strive to make sure people don't have the same crappy first experience that many of us had.

Tell me about it.

#264 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

Lucid is a great way for someone to sample an acceptable absinthe with a decent finish to see if they like absinthe. Several of my absinthe pals did this, and now are onto the great stuff. Grande Absente was my first, and the guidance here gave me confidence to try other better brands. Had Lucid been my first, I would have delved into other brands with less concern, as it is a solid drinkable product for the value.

#265 divulse123

divulse123

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:52 PM

The info in these here forums helped me pick Lucid as my first absinthe. I'm very glad, although I daresay my wallet is less so... :blush: From what I hear, Obsello is great, but I'm glad I was introduced to something that is more representative of absinthe as a whole.
So far, I've experienced and prefer in this order:
1.) Jade Nouvelle-Orleans
2.) La Clandestine
3.) Lucid

#266 sixela

sixela

• PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:54 AM

Now there's something to get excited about. ;)

Although, they [DrinkupNY] do seem to be trying hard to stock just about every kind of US available absinthe they can,

They unfortunately dropped a couple of US absinthes I'd have liked to buy from them...

If anyone knows of anyone selling Walton Waters and Meadows of Love and shipping to Europe, I'd like to know.

Edited by sixela, 01 June 2010 - 03:32 AM.

#267 Quartermaster James

Quartermaster James

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for all the answers to my query. Good points all.

My experience, it seems, is a bit skewed. Yes, Lucid is easily obtainable, and that's a strong point. For me, though, it just means that I early on learned to purchase (and to recommend purchasing) Absinthe online.

I too have introduced people to Absinthe through Lucid, most simply because my tastings have followed my collecting. However, I have found folks who weren't so taken with Absinthe via Lucid who had a change of mind after tasting the Pacifque (which is now my chosen introductory Absinthe).

My point is just that there is nothing inherent in not having previously had Absinthe that prevents anyone from appreciating a fine artisinal Absinthe as much as any of us who have had greater experience.
:cheers:

#268 divulse123

divulse123

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:44 AM

My point is just that there is nothing inherent in not having previously had Absinthe that prevents anyone from appreciating a fine artisinal Absinthe as much as any of us who have had greater experience.

I think this is very true, especially considering the rather small price range (which you already mentioned) between mediocre and fantastic brands of absinthe as opposed to some other spirits. For some people, though, and I include myself foremost among this group, every penny helps in a tough economy. I'm still glad I paid $60 for Lucid instead of $80 for a slightly/much better brand. Even though in the end it turned out I would have liked and appreciated the fancier stuff even more despite having no absinthe background, I still prefer to make the safer economic choice.

Of course, this raises the question: why buy a spirit to begin with instead of not spending any money at all? :blush: I can't articulate an answer, but I'm sure most people here don't need me to!
So far, I've experienced and prefer in this order:
1.) Jade Nouvelle-Orleans
2.) La Clandestine
3.) Lucid

#269 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

The best buys for the money would be Kübler followed by Lucid. The reason is, when introducing folks to absinthe, I try to have them taste brands they can get at the corner liquor store. Getting to understand your booze and buds takes time. I'm still learning but it's a fun game. I still sip those two fairly often. They give me a good reference point.
You can do a whole lot worse and spend more money. JMHO. *smile*

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association