Grande Absente Absinthe Originale

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy B.

Timothy B.

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:26 PM

Just got an email from dinkupny that Grande Absente Absinthe Originale is now available from them.

Grande Absente Absinthe Originale is based on a pre-ban French recipe that includes Artemesia Absinthium (wormwood), mugwort, green anise, peppermint, aniseed, and lemon balm. Crafted in the Alps of Haute Provence near the Swiss border, Grande Absente is a faithful reproduction of the bottlings of the Belle Epoque.

Product of France
Alcohol by Volume: 69%

Kübler and Lucid were such a promising start. Now there's the La Fee and this. *sigh*.

-- T
(yes I saw the typo - but then I figured it was a Freudian slip)

#2 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:38 PM

The funny thing is you can say all true modern absinthe is "based" on a pre-ban French recipe, even crap like La Fee, Tourment, Mata Hari, etc.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#3 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:48 PM

Now there's something to get excited about. ;)

Although, they do seem to be trying hard to stock just about every kind of US available absinthe they can, good or bad. Makes it handy for those of us in flyover country I guess.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#4 ETexas

ETexas

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:06 PM

Has anyone tried this mix? Is it real absinthe? Funny thing is some of the new brands taste ok to me, but I am but an old drunk anyway.

#5 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,602 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:27 PM

It's :poop:, don't even think about wasting your money on that one.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#6 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:06 AM

I saw this brand when I was last at BevMo in the Bay Area, and I gave it a once-over before I rejected the purchase. The label and presentation just looked.... janky. Gimmicky, I mean. And since I've gotten into the bottle of Kübler, even Lucid is tasting "off" to me.

So, glad to hear that my "judge-a-book-by-its-cover" approach may have paid off this time...
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#7 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,969 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:21 AM

Truth is, I'm curious. Not curious enough to plunk down $60 for a taste but I would like to try it. And, objectively review it, too.

Has anyone ponied-up for it, yet?

#8 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,256 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

I have a bottle on the way.

Have you even tasted it yet? This is not the old Absente you know.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#9 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

If BevMo has a bottle, I'll be a guinea pig :twitchsmile:

#10 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:00 AM

I have a bottle on the way.

Have you even tasted it yet? This is not the old Absente you know.

I'd be willing to bet that it is the old Absente, just with a pinch of wormwood thrown in. The prior US "sans wormwood" product, the current EU product, and the marketing of Absente don't leave much hope for what they're shilling now.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#11 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,969 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:25 AM

I wouldn't dare argue with you, Z. I'd just like to have the opportunity of tasting and reviewing. If it's tasty stuff, great! But if it's not (and you are correct) that objective review deserves to be posted, too. I'll try to keep an open mind until the glass is empty.

#12 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,256 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

Actually, I have their promo packet right here, and you might be surprised at how responsibly written it is—aside from claiming to be responsible for the absinthe craze in America and a few other typical marketing hyperboles. It has the old recipe in it and it's a little odd, but absinthe.

I thought the substitute wasn't horrible, just not absinthe.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#13 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

I'm with you, T. I'd like to try it, but am a little leery of spending $60 for something that may taste like the former recipe worries me.

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#14 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:20 PM

Odd, I didn't realize they had FD&C Yellow #5 and Blue #1 during the Belle Époque.

Just picked up a bottle at BevMo, and yes, it is artificially colored.

Having a glass now, will post a review in a bit. First impression: reminds me of La Fee Parisian, only not as bad.

PM me for sample inquiries, I have a whole liter of the stuff.

Edit: half way through the glass, nice buzz with a pleasant secondary lucidness.

#15 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:51 PM

Review Posted :wave2:

#16 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

I was about to PM you and then I read your review. It sounds a lot like the original formula. I'll think about it! :g:

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#17 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:24 PM

Thanks a bunch for the review Doc, my gratitude for taking the plunge and giving us the story on the Grande version!
This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#18 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,794 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:48 PM

I've got a sample on the way as well. I agree with H about the well presented press kit. I'm guessing though that it's basically going to be a rebottled European version. But I'll give it a fair chance.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#19 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,602 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:47 PM

Review Posted :wave2:

From which I gather it's not much of an improvement on the originals, just as I strongly suspected.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#20 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:37 PM

I hadn't tasted the original, so I can't say. But after having a third glass to see if I notice anything different, I can only say that I wonder if there is sweetener involved as well. I did a back-to-back taste with Doubs Mystique just to get some context and it really confirmed my feelings about it. Very one dimensional flavors, no wormwood whatsoever, none of the earthy tones and subtleties you'd expect from a good absinthe. It doesn't taste gross, but it's just not fulfilling.

#21 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,256 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:21 PM

I don't think it's fair to ding an absinthe simply for using artificial color if they use it well. The criteria state that it should be natural-looking. If it looks like Fresh-Burst Listerine, go ahead and dock it a couple points if you want, but if you have to check the label just to find out, they're not doing too bad.

I feel this is a sentiment spawned by the artisan-driven history of the absinthe community. Not all absinthes were, or are, artisanal products. That doesn't make them inferior by itself. It's true that some artisanal absinthes represent the best that can be had, but that doesn't mean everything else sucks or automatically deserves derision.

We really need more blind tastings.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#22 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,969 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:57 PM

At the rate my eyesight is going, I'll be all about it.

If it looks good and it smells good and it tastes good...well, that is the point, isn't it?

#23 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:57 PM

Well it's the same color as a Green Apple Jolly Rancher. Doesn't seem right to me, artisan or not. And I just don't appreciate being given a paragraph stressing that it's a faithful reproduction of an old recipe when they are using artificial colors. What's wrong with the color as it is? (My guess is there wouldn't be any)

I can honestly say in this case it would not have mattered if it was a blind tasting as after I saw it louche well I really did have my hopes up. I had every incentive to enjoy it as I just spent $68.99, and I don't like to bash things just for the sake of bashing them (I'll leave that to the other forum).

With a blind tasting I might have guessed this was La Fee Parisian, but it is much more drinkable.

I was not able to ascertain if this was distilled or an oil mix? Given their literature it sounds like it is distilled. Any idea if there is a secondary maceration performed? To me it tastes like a simplistic blanche that they then added food coloring to.

In any case, there will be some samples sent out next week and I trust people will judge it themselves independently.

#24 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:30 AM

I just don't appreciate being given a paragraph stressing that it's a faithful reproduction of an old recipe when they are using artificial colors.

If you believe the historical evidence, many absinthes and other beverages were colored with indigo and caramel and a host of other natural colorants. Some of which are actually still legal to use (in the US, don't know about EU).

Just because it was an old recipe doesn't imply anything regarding quality.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#25 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:04 AM

Considering a year ago the only way to get Absinthe was to import a bottle, shell out for shipping...and wait. I think it's fun and equally exciting to see the number of offerings increase.

I love being able to pick up a bottle of Lucid (yes, I enjoy Lucid very much) or Kübler with effortless ease. I still order the better quality of Absinthe from LDF but cost becomes a factor, as I'm sure it does for many folks.

For US brands I can't get locally ~ sources like drinkupny.com have an ever growing lineup and fast, free shipping (on orders over $99)

I say kudos to any effort that isn't using Thujone or myth based lies to pump up sales.

Peter :twitchsmile:
""Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life,define yourself."

Harvey Fierstien

#26 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,794 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:05 AM

We really need more blind tastings.

If we can put together the rules and regulations on how to conduct it, I'll put one together ASAP.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#27 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:24 AM

It would really need to be blind too because you can tell a lot of these absinthes by looking at them so you would need to completely obscure the taster's vision.

#28 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,256 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:25 PM

You'd be surprised. Granted, a blind tasting will work best on a selection of several products that the taster is unfamiliar with, but that's largely because of the relatively small number of absinthes. As the selection grows, it won't be so easy. The halo effect is very persuasive; if you know anything about who made the product or how they made it, it will effect your judgement at least to some degree. Check out this article:

SCIENTISTS AT CALTECH and Stanford recently published the results of a peculiar wine tasting. They provided people with cabernet sauvignons at various price points, with bottles ranging from $5 to $90. Although the tasters were told that all the wines were different, the scientists were in fact presenting the same wines at different prices.

The subjects consistently reported that the more expensive wines tasted better, even when they were actually identical to cheaper wines.

The experiment was even more unusual because it was conducted inside a scanner - the drinks were sipped via a network of plastic tubes - that allowed the scientists to see how the subjects' brains responded to each wine.

When subjects were told they were getting a more expensive wine, they observed more activity in a part of the brain known to be involved in our experience of pleasure. What they saw was the power of expectations.

People expect expensive wines to taste better, and then their brains literally make it so. Wine lovers shouldn't feel singled out: Antonio Rangel, the Caltech neuroeconomist who led the study, insists that he could have used a variety of items to get similar results, from bottled water to modern art.

Well it's the same color as a Green Apple Jolly Rancher. Doesn't seem right to me, artisan or not.

This is a glass of freshly-colored Marteau, colored traditionally by maceration:

Attached File  marteau_green.jpg   22.44KB   9 downloads

I'm not saying anything about Grande Absente's quality, just that there's nothing wrong with artificial coloring in itself. It's entirely historic and is an industry standard for mass-market products; the public—especially the American public—expects squeaky clean uniformity and consistancy from one batch to another and from one year to another. That's not as likely to happen with small-batch artisanal products.

An absinthe should be evaluated on what you experience of it, not what you know about it.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#29 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:39 PM

Now that is a gorgeous color!

Definatley more Emerald than any of the Jades I've tried. The color is very pristine and very beautiful.

I can't wait to order a bottle!

Peter :twitchsmile:
""Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life,define yourself."

Harvey Fierstien

#30 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,256 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:46 PM

I can't wait for you to order a bottle either... but I have to. Send complaints to the Alcohol Labeling and Formulation Division of the TTB.

Now back to our Grande Absente thread, already in progress...

www.absinthemarteau.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association