Why We Care

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#31 Misanthrope

Misanthrope

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:02 AM

I don't see the need to justify my taste in libations to folks who express to me their preconceived notions that absinthe is bad for you, tastes horrible, etc. Even when asked if they want to try some they refuse. Rather than wasting time on those close minded philistines, I tell them the reason I like it is simply because they don't :harhar: More for me :cool-reaper:
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#32 greenlady

greenlady

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:01 PM

The taste for me.

Oh, the intrigue & history certainly adds value.

#33 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:47 AM

The history, the mystery (and anything else that rhymes!).

The variety of products in the market (OK, I don't like all of them), and the complexity of the flavours within so many of them.

PLUS ... because I am lucky enough to be involved in the business ... the challenges (every day) and the fact that I work with a wonderful distiller on a great product that I believe in.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#34 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:23 PM

Scuto: wonderful topic! Your Absinthe glass is clearly half full.

I'll add my own bit to the manifesto when I find the right words, but thanks again for making a place for them.

I think you found 'em, Retrogarde.

And I am trying to keep it half-full! Certainly the intent of the topic was to nudge folks in that direction, as I'm sure many are weary from working to dispel nonsense.
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#35 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

I am an enthusiastic absinthe newbie! Here are my reasons for loving the Green Fairy:

1. I have always had an interest in the wrongfully maligned;
2. The aroma from a newly opened bottle sends me to the stars;
3. It's a beautiful show, watching the louche develop. Tonight it looked like a tiny hurricane seen from above;
4. The flavor seems to tantalize all of the taste buds. I taste it everywhere in my mouth;
5. I love tipping my glass and seeing the milky whiteness cling to the glass for a fraction of a second;
6. One glass of absinthe can keep me happy for a whole evening;
7. The ritual is such a special time. I can forget about my big accounts at work, and the fact that the dishes need doing becomes unimportant. It's me and my absinthe;
8. Finally, it is a blast to come to the forum and catch up on what my absinthe friends are saying.

I am so totally enjoying my absinthe tonight! :cheers:
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#36 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:06 PM

Cheers! :arrr:
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns
"Leave the gun. Take the Rossoni" - Peter Clemenzza
"Give me wormwood, or give me death!" - Patrick Henrry
"I find your lack of louche....disturbing" - James Earl Jjones
"No maceration without distillation!" - Reverend Jonathan Mayhhew
"It is by absinthe alone I set my mind in motion" - Frank Herrbert

#37 Leichenwagen

Leichenwagen

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:47 AM

Absinthe is a tool to make time with those deliciously nasty goth chicks.

Absinthe because I love people looking at me as if I'm crazy ( and I am)

Absinthe because I like spoons

Absinthe so I can channel Poe

Absinthe so I can pretend to hallucinate and really scare the bejeesus out of those people who think I'm crazy. I want your ear to garnish my drink.

Nah, i think you guys covered it but in all honesty I like the mystery and sorta wish it'll never go mainstream.

#38 MrAgee

MrAgee

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:36 AM

1) Taste. If I didn't like it I would never have thought about it again.

2) Because it virtually introduced me to Marc Campbell.

3) Taste. The wide selection and nuances thereof.

4) The connection to New Orleans where I first learned of absinthe and is one of my 3 favorite U.S. cities.

5) Did I mention taste?

#39 cindyloohoo

cindyloohoo

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:23 PM

What a great topic. Maybe hashing it out here will help me explain my fascination to my friends, who clearly don't get it.

Okay. I love the history behind the drink. Even before it got "legalized", I was fascinated by the artistic aspect of it, and the myths surrounding it. Only I assumed they were true. Now that I know better, I find the green fairy even more interesting. I want to defend her against people who THINK they know what they're talking about. But all that comes out is "you're a stupid dummyhead" when I hear misinformation being touted as fact.

My tastes are still developing, so I can't really talk about the nuances with any authority.

bobt - I like your reasons. Can I just say "me too" on all of them?

#40 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• 2,119 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:13 AM

Please do, Cindy. I too am a beginner with Absinthe, I cannot compare to the top brands or anything like that, but I know that the Absinthe I have is delicious and the Green Fairy is seductive in her charms. Cheers!
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#41 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

*bump*

Thanks Brian for reminding me of this thread.

I care because absinthe has opened new doors and offered new adventures to me.
I care because I have met so many cool and wonderful people because of absinthe. People that I would not have met otherwise.

I care because I get really cool early Valentine's Day gifts to sample absinthe from. :heart:
I am the wood nymph.

#42 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

"Why I care about the Green Fairy- by Larspeart-

Because Kylie Minogue told me to.

The End"

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#43 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:32 AM

It is one of the few things in my life I fell in love with before I ever experienced, and after I was lucky enough to try it I was not dissapointed.

It's a wonderful drink, full of mystery--even without the myths--class, subtlety, and nuance.

It tastes wonderful.

I love it!

#44 Kaiser

Kaiser

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:45 AM

Taste and emotional reactions, it just makes me happy and not drunk happy(well sometimes that too), a genuine real happiness overwhelms me when I imbibe.Absinthe is the only spirit that i don't feel the need to get drunk on. One drink or ten, it doesn;t matter to me. I also rarely get a hangover from absinthe.

I'm also addicted to "hobbies", be it volkswagens, hiking, dogs, militaria, or our beloved absinthe gear. I like to collect things.

It's almost as if my soul lets out a big sigh of relief upon the first sip.

Edited by Kaiser, 13 February 2009 - 06:07 AM.

#45 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:42 AM

It is one of the few things in my life I fell in love with before I ever experienced, and after I was lucky enough to try it I was not dissapointed.

I thought this thread was about absinthe. Oh! I thought you were talking about... Nevermind.
<----Happiest with his mind in the gutter.

#46 Rigeldust

Rigeldust

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:16 AM

Absinthe stimulates all six senses.
She brings me to this moment in time and keeps me in the present with a profound respect of her past.
Peace

#47 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

Hear Hear!

And here, too.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#48 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:16 AM

I find absinthe to be truly fascinating (in a "Holy Cats, this is so cool" kind of way).

The taste is fascinating.

The chemistry is fascinating.

The use of herbs is fascinating.

The history is fascinating ... and as it continues to develop around us, it feels like quite the adventure and the ride of a lifetime.

The gear and ritual are fascinating.

The people I have met are truly fascinating.

And last, but certainly not least, the Green Fairy is fascinating .... and a total hotty!

:arrr:

If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

#49 Heavy Harpoon

Heavy Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:43 AM

I love it because it froze in time, it hasn't been altered by what happened for the past hundred years the way any other spirit has. It hasn't lost it's soul, it's essence, it's charm and beauty. We relive the belle époque with every drop, with every sip, with every glass. It was and still is worth fighting for, the way the clandestins fought for it, the way we here fight for it every day. It is the pinnacle of the distillers art. It is what a drink should be, an experience that relies in the preparation and in the consummation rather than on how fast it gets you hammered. It plays with flavors, with aromas and colors and pleases all senses. I've loved absinthe since my first sip, and I know the fairy still has an eternity of sights to show me.

HH
HH

#50 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:00 PM

I thought this thread was about absinthe. Oh! I thought you were talking about... Nevermind.

A dirty mind is a healthy mind!

#51 Wren

Wren

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

Because of the craftsmanship, and because it is, at bottom, hopelessly seductive (to almost all sensory modalities).
“The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”  -George Carlin

#52 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

Because she makes me laugh.

Posted Image
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#53 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:54 PM

I can't take my eyes off her now, damn you! :twitchsmile:

#54 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

I listened to Henry Rollins talk all day.
The only thing that would have made it better was if he were really talking and I wasn't listening to a MP3 player. I'm always struck by the people in the audience who laugh for the wrong reasons. And I love listening to the people who get it.

Absinthe is kind of like that.

Buddasynthe you are a shit. You know that? :harhar:
I am the wood nymph.

#55 Wren

Wren

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

Because she makes me laugh.

Posted Image

Wow...sneezing.

:dribble:
“The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”  -George Carlin

#56 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

Don't they say a sneeze is like 1/5th of an orgasm?
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#57 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

Sneeze six times and have a smoke!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#58 Wren

Wren

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

Don't they say a sneeze is like 1/5th of an orgasm?

Only braggarts. ;)

#59 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

Posted Image

Onacuz I couldn't help myself! :yahoo:

#60 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

Benificent.

Salutory.

Life-Affirming! :dev-cheers:
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association