• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:36 PM

I was visiting NYC recently, and when catching up with friends the topic of absinthe came up, as it is a recent interest of mine. One friend asked me, "Why do you care so much?" (or was it "Why are you so interested?") and I had to pause. I initially spoke of wanting to correct misinformation about the drink, to defend the drink against defamation, but that seemed to fall flat, as these are *reactions* to things, as opposed to being direct statements about the drink itself. And because I hadn't truly answered his question. :blush: I eventually came to speak on why I liked it, its combined delicacy, subtlety and nuanced history, and how this history still holds up without any of the myths clinging to it; how the experience of preparing and drinking it engages all five senses, and brings the drinker, by means of the "ceremony" to slow down and pay attention, giving respite.

Since there is already the Ignorance Abounds thread, and we speak often of the misinformation--past and present--with regards to absinthe, I'd like this thread to be as love-fest-y and inspiring as possible! And yes, I'd love to include the patented WS silliness in the love fest!

:cheers: to you all!
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#2 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:43 PM

I care because aside from being an awesome drink, it's got heart, soul and history.

I care because I'm a lover of truth, honesty and integrity.

I care because the Green Fairy is to drinks what Santa Claus is to holidays.

I care because I don't want to see her lobotomized and turned into someone she's not.

I care because she's a muse, not some pimp's ho.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.
Every bit helps the further development of the site and future events.

#3 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:44 PM

A. It's a damn delicious drink.
B. It has a rich, romantic history. A classic! Boy gets drink. Boy loses drink. Boy gets drink. What a story!
C. See "A." above.
D. Our sillies are patented?

#4 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:58 PM

I care because absinthe is a natural medicinal that when used responsibly has no evil side effects.
That is a beautiful thing.
I am the wood nymph.

#5 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

People ask me why I'm interested in absinthe, and like you it's a difficult question to answer.

The first time I saw the words "Absinthe" was in an ad in Art in America around 2000 I guess. It announced the return of the drink of artists. I didn't know anything about it other than it was an alcoholic beverage. Just that word "absinthe" was a hook into my being. But since there was no future ads in AiA, I forgot about it until the late 2005-early 2006 NYT article on TAB making the Jades in France. I didn't even like it at first (though I didn't say 'Ew, licorice!').

I have to admit, my fascination and obsession with absinthe isn't rationale. I can't explain it.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#6 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

What DP said. I try not to rationally approach the matter at this point.

What Maggie the Cat said.

What Hiram said about Santa Claus.

Because everything I have tried that people said will make me crazy has turned out to be fun.

And the History.....I mean, blind Monks! How cool does it get? :cheers: :mbanana:
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#7 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:28 PM

Absinthe is tasty.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#8 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

What a great topic for a thread. I spend far to much time defending my love of Absinthe, most of which I'm afraid falls on deaf ears.

1) I care because it's misunderstood and stigmatized by myth and unfounded lies. I relate to that on a deeply personal level.

2) I care because Absinthe has a history all her own. One that can't can't be rivaled by any other drink. one that has won the hearts of some of the worlds most profound and important artists.

3) I care because, despite the enormous effort to destroy her - the green fairy has survived.

4) I care because true Absinthe lovers seem to have a humor and a sensitivity that I don't find often with those that oppose it.

5) I care because Absinthe is in the truest sense of the word ~ a Diva.

6) I care because it's delicious. Scrumptious in all it's wonderful complexity and just as often in it's equally intriguing simplicity.

7) I care because I'm compelled to keep learning about Absinthe

8) I care because I feel compelled to bury every myth, destroy every innuendo and take apart every lie.

9) I care because I love it, and that perhaps is the most important aspect of what Absinthe is to me of all.

Peter :twitchsmile:
""Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life,define yourself."

Harvey Fierstien

#9 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,492 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:46 PM

I love it for all the reasons mentioned above. Its pleasures are multi-dimensional. The combination of flavor, ritual, props, and history give absinthe a psychic charge unlike any other drink I know.

The very word "absinthe" is exquisite. Heightened. It's not an ordinary word.

#10 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:47 PM

Oh, and the gear is neat, too.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#11 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:59 PM

I like everything said before PLUS it brings the most diverse folks together for lively conversation and discussions.

I like that there are subtleties in each bottle to savor.

It brightens my day.

Absinthe gives me something I can get nowhere else.

The history, myths and legends.

It satisfies me in ways no other drink has.

:cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#12 Rick Andress

Rick Andress

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:20 PM

I care for the taste.

I care for the almost theatrical ritual.

I care for the history.

I care for the nice people of the WS and their unwavering devotion.

"Oh wad a gif the gif he gie us to see ourselves as others see us" -Robert Burns

#13 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

Oh, and the gear is neat, too.

I forgot all about the "gear" I haven't had this much fun buying "paraphernalia" since...since....nevermind.
""Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life,define yourself."

Harvey Fierstien

#14 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:40 PM

I know what you mean, Peter.

But good absinthe tastes so much better than, well, any of that oldschool stuff. :devil:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#15 PeterL

PeterL

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

Ha! exactly :devil:

Harvey Fierstien

#16 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:10 AM

Some inspiring, as well as good n' simple reasons here--renewing my dittohead status!

@ DP--definitely! An interest that sometimes feels not rational, though never irrational. However, when I get animated and excited about it, I can just chalk it up to absinthism. :twitchsmile:

I would also like to add Absomphe's sig, quoting T73 to the list/treatise.

D. Our sillies are patented?

Uhhh, about that... you weren't getting too attached to your intellectual property, were you?

Although many of you might disagree with the term "intellectual." (Cue the "You misspelled..." line.)
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#17 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:18 AM

1) It's tasty.

2) We've been denied access to it due to one of the biggest smear campaigns in the history of beverages and imho it deserves a little attention to set the record straight.

3) Due to the widespread ignorance over the drink in general, absinthe is once again falling prey to a new variety of misinformation, one designed to market and sell low-quality "versions" of it with promises of effects it will not generate and never has.

#18 Oscar

Oscar

“Life is good”

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

It brought Hissy and I together. :heart:
"Enjoy life. This is not a dress rehearsal."

#19 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#20 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:35 PM

It keeps the Imp busy.Posted Image

And helped housebreak him.
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#21 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:06 PM

Wunderschon! (wish this keyboard had umlauts)

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#22 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:10 PM

alt-129 my friend, alt-129.

Wünderschon!

#23 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:14 PM

Scuto: wonderful topic! Your Absinthe glass is clearly half full.

I'll add my own bit to the manifesto when I find the right words, but thanks again for making a place for them.
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#24 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:17 PM

Aw, heck, I'm on a Mac and can get no obedience. Actually I am Mac'in hard both at home and work......... :huh:

#25 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:31 PM

I'm on a Mac. Check it out: knowledge is freedom.

option-u then u = ü

option-u then a = ä

option-e then e = é

option-c = ç

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.
Every bit helps the further development of the site and future events.

#26 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:45 PM

Müçhas Graçias.

I don't even wanna try to pronounce that, it looks like a street sign in Istanbul.

#27 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:20 PM

Any other drink is just that, a 'drink'. Absinthe is an experience.

Before Absinthe I really only saw the negatives in liquor. Absinthe has shown me the positives!

Somehow, every glass seems like an adventure, full of surprise and wonder.

In this day and age we do everything too fast. Absinthe asks politely not to be rushed.

No other drink puts on a show like Absinthe.

The ritual for me is half the fun, but only Absinthe makes it worthwhile.

How else could I slip back in time 100 years but with a sip of Absinthe?

Enough is never enough, there's always one more spoon, or book, or bottle!
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#28 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:30 PM

Very nice! :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#29 Danny Hawaii

Danny Hawaii

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:56 PM

For me, absinthe is the closest we'll ever get to true magic on earth.

#30 Scott R. Cohen

Scott R. Cohen

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:14 AM

The spirit pretty much disappeared for a greater portion of a century and was forgotten by many. Now we take part in the rediscovery of that history.

We're like the frikkin' Indiana Joneses of mixology! And I'm always up for some field research. :devil:
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." - Oscar Wilde

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association