Sign in to follow this  
JohhnyJohhny

Mythe absinthe?? Anyone heard of it??

. Well, the guy at the Corpus store said they had a few brands of absinthe but the most popular and most traditional brand they sell is Mythe. After hearing that I didn't bother asking what the other brands were.

It is a rare thing to find someone in a liquor store who knows anything about absinthe. Often they just go by whatever BS sales pitch they heard from a brand rep. It is very possible they had something better on the shelf. Maybe the store gets a better margin on Mythe, or wants to clear up some shelf space, who knows.

@LoucheyMonster: He did mention they had Mata Hari too. I haven't researched this brand yet, but judging from the posts above it doesn't sound too promising.

@Pere Ubu: Have you had any issues with ordering absinthe online here in Texas? I know of at least one site (DrinkUpNY) which does not ship to Texas. I plan on ordering from Catskill Cellars pretty soon and I hope it goes through alright.

Thanks for the review link Monster. Yeah, Mata Hari sounds like one I'm going to skip. I'm not too keen on absinthe liqueurs. I do add sugar to mine, but I like to control how much; and I certainly don't want absinthe to taste candy-like or artificially sweetened, like some of the reviews mentioned. The most over-all positive review mentioned Mata Hari as a good starter absinthe, but since I started with Lucid I want something more complex rather than less.

I saw the Hari Kari,... i mean Mata Hari at a local store. Since then they have replaced that bottle with newer ones so obviously somebody is buying it. But luckily the WS review module works great on mobile so I was able to avoid it.

Good to know, Pere Ubu. Looks like I'll go with Catskill for my first online order. I would really love some Jade PF1901, but since I have to order it from overseas, I better go domestic first and build up a little stockpile in case the PF1901 gets caught up in customs...I wouldn't want to go dry while waiting on it!

Jade1901. PF1901 is the very expenisve pre-ban. ;) The Pacifique, the DPs, the Ridges, the Duplais, La Clandestine, and Jade Nouvelle Orleans are all absinthes I've enjoyed a lot, that I have bought at Catskills.

LdF was quite good with my Jade order, but you need nearly $250 to get free shipping. Catskills is a great place to start.

PF1901 is the very expenisve pre-ban. ;)

Nope. ;)

Add em if you got em. I'll copy and paste them into this first post in alphabetical order for easier reference.

BdF - Blanche de Fougerolles/Enigma Blanche

BdJ - Berthe de Joux absinthe

CLB - Clandestine La Bleue (La Clandestine)

C.O. (not to be confused with Colorado) - Commercial offering

DNM - David Nathan-Maister

DP - can refer to either Delaware Phoenix (distillery of MoL and WW) or Dakini Painter (owner of Delaware Phoenix)

Eddie - Jade Edouard

FSC - Fine Spirits Corner - seldom used Spanish spirits retailer

FV - Fee Verte forum

Ike - Eichelberger line of absinthes

KOS/ KOSG - King of Spirits/ Gold

LdF - Liqueurs de France

MBE/ MAdlBE – Marteau Absinthe de la Belle Epoque

MoL - Meadow of Love

N.O. - Jade Nouvelle Orleans

Oxy - see DNM

PF 1901 - Jade product

PV - PierreVerte

VC - Vieux Carre

VdF - Verte de Fougerolles/Enigma Verte

VdT - Val de Travers

VP - Vieux Pontarllier

VS/VS65 - Jade Verte Suisse

WW - Walton Waters

WwB - Wormwood Blanche

Seen a label lately? The PF is gone, it simply reads Jade 1901. I can copy an out of patent product, but I cannot use the same trademarked product names. PF1901 implies Pernod et Fils absinthe of the year 1901. Labeling a copy, the same implies that it is the same, and not a copy. Trade mark owners, get very defensive about such things, especially where $$$ is concerned. I guess the Pernod lawyers got a hold of Ted.

That current Pernod is shite, probably gave the Pernod lawyers a bigger sense of urgency.

Edited by Père Ubu

Thanks for the other suggestions from Catskills as well, Pere Ubu. I'll hopefully be making an order within the next couple weeks....the level of my Lucid is getting dangerously low, and that's no good :no:

Seen a label lately? The PF is gone, it simply reads Jade 1901. I can copy an out of patent product, but I cannot use the same trademarked product names. PF1901 implies Pernod et Fils absinthe of the year 1901.

Yes Miguel, I believe I have quite a firm grasp on the legal wranglings that Ted has gone through. I've spoken with him at length about them. But the point is that there are still plenty of existing bottles of his originally labelled product, so the use of the term is still perfectly acceptable. It also was made pretty clear what Bon Bock was talking about.

Sure, the term JL1901 or Jade 1901 will be used more and more in the future, but it's not unacceptable to use PF1901 here when referencing his absinthe. Don't worry, he won't get in trouble, and I'm sure Pernod Ricard won't be sending us any cease and desist letters for referring to his product in any such way. ;)

And with that, my 12,000th post. :groupwave reversed:

Bon, when your order from CC arrives, the level of your Lucid bottle won't matter much. :)

Congratulations Brian! :) I guess I've been too deep in QA lately. Labels matter to them a lot. Since they don't know xit about our widgets, even if one fell on their pointy heads. :laugh:

Pernod? Wow.

You are responsible for my Jade1901 addiction.

The batch I got has definitely stepped up the game, as have most of our favorite booze makers. The new bottle and label sure look cool, and getting access to the contents is noob proof. :) Or at least, this noob, noob proof. :laugh:

Just shared a town car with the distiller of Mythe in the way to the airport. Nice guy. But he spent a good amount of time trying to teach me the history of absinthe, even though I told him I've been studying it since 97. :)

He also seemed very keen to explain to me how his base is far superior to grape base, and how the quality of the alcohol was the main culprit in absinthe's ban. He also flat out denied that chemical adulterants were ever added to lower quality absinthe back in the day to enhance color or louche. *shrug*

I've had Mythe before. I remember it being pretty bitter, like a macerate. I actually enjoy some of the bitter macerated brands, so I might actually pick some up if I see it again.

It certainly isn't a traditional absinthe.