ejellest

Springboard from New Belgium

I was interested by William Brand's writeup of New Belgium's newest ale:

Backgrounder: Springboard Ale shows New Belgium’s diversity

Springboard (***+) is amazing, and it’s our Beer of the Week. I’m with Peter on this one. I liked it. It was 10 minutes of pleasure. A cloudy lemon color, the beer has a spicy, fruity nose rising from a large, lasting head of rocky foam. It has a full mouth-feel and an unusual, drying, spicy, herbal finish.

Sounded really promising.

However, towards the end, however, Mr. Brand mentions that along with a bunch of other trendy herbs, spices, and fruit...

Springboard also has wormwood, the spice used in absinthe, the potent distilled drink made famous by artists in Paris early in the 20th century.

Oh, my goodness...

~Erik

From what I know, and have experienced, from New Belgium Brewing I'm sure they did a pilot brew and tweaked the herbs and spices before doing a full run of it.

It is probably pretty good.

Interesting. I had the Springboard ale last year, before I knew anything about absinthe or wormwood. I suspect I still have a bottle or two hiding in the back of the beer fridge, as I didn't really think much of it and doubt that I got through the entire 6-pack. The spice character seemed derived from a Belgian Wit style, but I've had enough good Wit beer (Avery White Rascal is a current favorite) that the Springboard didn't do much for me. I'll have to go dig around and see if I can find a bottle, and try it again with a little more open mind. Thanks for the note!

Interesting.

I'm pretty intrigued by the review. A local brewer made a Gruit this year which I really enjoyed. Found the mugwort flavor quite enjoyable in a beer. I have to admit, though, I'm not usually a huge fan of the Wit style. Good on a hot day, but I find I almost always prefer regular old German Weiss Beer.

Mmmm... Schneider Weisse!

~Erik

Didn't they usedta call it Purl back in the day?

Well, not this beer, but beer with wormwood in it anyway..

I dunno, this recipe seems, ahem, intreresting.

One old recipe I came across a few years back told the reader to 'Use a Judicious Hand' with the wormwood... :laf:

I have to side with bksmithey. I also tried it last summer but didn't think it was up to par with most New Belgium brews. If you used your imagination, you could almost pick up a hint of Wormwood in the finish. Granted, a whole slug of A.a. would have beer drinkers gagging on the suds but I thought it was unimpressive.

I tried it recently, and you can actually taste the wormwood in it more than you can in many absinthes...which is to say it's slightly discernible, but certainly not obvious. Otherwise, it's a nice, crisp, and light ale, which is very suitableas a summer thirstquencher.

Didn't they usedta call it Purl back in the day?

Well, not this beer, but beer with wormwood in it anyway..

I dunno, this recipe seems, ahem, intreresting.

One old recipe I came across a few years back told the reader to 'Use a Judicious Hand' with the wormwood... :laf:

Well, kinda.

Purl usually had Gentian and Wormwood, from what I've seen of the old recipes, but I think it was not really intended as a recreational beverage, like Springboard. More like a tonic pick-me-up for the morning after. From the Thos Thrale recipe, I think it would definitely be really bitter, medicinal, and downright weird. Horseradish? Plus, it isn't even a brewed beer, more like a flavored aged ale.

Ha! Seems like something Dogfish Head should take a crack at!

Anyway, you'd probably take a small glass in the AM to get your blood flowing again.

~Erik

I believe that craft brewries are experimenting with other types of bittering because of the price and availability of quality hops. I seen springboard at a local store but passed at first look, there will be a revisit to that store in the future.