BARS and RESTAURANTS

Central Michel Richard has La Fee Verte (Kübler, Lucid and St. George) on their cocktail menu, along with some other cocktails that use some great ingredients.

1001 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW

Washington, DC 20004

(202) 626-0015

Central_COCKTAIL_Menu.pdf

---------------------------------

Tabard Inn

1739 N Street NW

Wash. DC 20036

202-833-2668

According to the Washington Post (all three quotes below are from the same article), it has the best Sazerac in town:

The best one I've tasted in Washington comes from Chantal Tseng at the Tabard Inn's cozy bar. It's hard to keep absinthe from overpowering other flavors, even when there's only a trace, but Tseng's cocktail stays in delicious balance. Her secret? The Tabard's house-made simple syrup and plenty of fresh lemon zest. "It's all about the aroma," she explains. "You need to be able to smell the absinthe and the lemon zest."

------------------------------------

Cork Wine Bar

1720 14th St. NW

Wash. DC 20009

202-265-CORK

Absinthe plays a bit part in mixologist Tom Brown's Dawn Over Manhattan at Cork wine bar. With aged rye whiskey, an herbal, spicy vermouth and whiskey-aged bitters, the subtle anise taste comes through well and adds a fullness and viciousness to a cocktail that's otherwise lacking.

------------------------------------

Cafe Saint-Ex

1847 14th St. NW.

202-265-7839

My favorite nightcap comes from Said Haddad, the bar manager at Cafe Saint-Ex. His Lost Year cocktail combines K¿bler with a kiss of St-Germain elderflower liqueur, which adds a sweet floral scent and a touch of pear. The taste is smooth and lush, and my only disappointment is that it's served in a tiny sherry glass. Haddad says he's worried about customers who don't know the drink's strength. "You've heard of a lost weekend?" he asks. "There's a reason it's called the Lost Year."

--------------------------------------

Wisdom bar claims to have the largest selection of absinthe in DC.

1432 Pennsylvania Ave. SE

--------------------------------------

Bistro Bis

Carries a special absinthe menu - all served in the traditional manner. Info on absinthes forthcoming.

15 E Street, NW

202-661-2700

RETAILERS

ACE Beverage in Northwest DC has some great brands including Marteau. They also carry a few other mid level brands like Mata Hari. Overall, Joe Riley has one of the best stocks of hard to find liquors and mixers in the entire tri-state area.

I highly recommend visiting.

3301 New Mexico Ave. NW, Washington, D.C. 20016

Bell's Wine and Spirits offers Lucid and St. George.

1821 M Street, NW

Washington, DC 20036

Also, right next door is a very nice cigar shop.

---------------------------

Best Cellars carries Leopold Bros products.

1643 Connecticut Ave., NW

Washington, DC 20009

202-387-3146

They don't stock their absinthe yet, but are happy to have a few bottles shipped from the distiller along with their normal shipment.

----------------------------

In Frederick, MD, regularly stocking Kübler, Lucid (also, sadly, LTV)

Will gladly special order, especially if you have the distributor name that carries

what you want. Kübler at $52*/1000ml and Lucid $62*/750ml (*before sales tax)

Hillcrest Wine Spirits & Deli

1090 W Patrick St

Frederick, MD 21703

http://local.times-news.com/Hillcrest+Wine+Spirits+--26+Deli.327671.4951973.home.html

-----------------------------

Also in Frederick, MD is the Spirit Shop on 7th St:

http://pages.frederick.com/wine/yeold.htm

1005 West 7th Street

Frederick, Maryland 21701

Phone: 301-662-4803

Last I checked, they had Lucid and Kübler in stock.

Updated retailers, added new bars, and consolidated all info.

Thanks to Marlow, MPC and Beautiful Loucher for contributing info in this thread.

Glad to see more establishments getting a clue or three! :cheers:

Can someone (Brian?) give me an idea of what brands are currently available in DC liquor stores? I know I'll be able to get Leopold's and my daughter recently bought a bottle of Pacifique. How about Duplais V or Obsello?

Wait, what? Your daughter bought a bottle of Pacifique where in D.C.??

It really depends on the specific store and which brands they want. DC is different than most states, as they don't have specific distributors that they have to get all of their wares from. Ace carries Pacifique as well as 5 or 6 other good brands like Duplais, VP, VC, etc. I can't say what other stores carry, as Ace is the only place I shop for my booze in DC. If what I want isn't already on the shelf there, he'll find a way to get it.

Thanks for that, Brian. I had no idea. Will pick some up next time I'm back around that way.

Thanks Brian.

MPC: Not sure which liquor store but I know it was near her office, which is on L and 18th or 19th. I could easily find out, if you want.

No worries. If Ace carries it, that's where I'll go. Thank ya!

Thanks!

Ace is one from what Brian posted. Do you know of any in Northern VA, too?

Ace is on my list. As are several restaurants. I just have to get to it to verify locations. Unfortunately, Ridge is not in VA yet. We will be in DC with free time the 22nd-24th and would love visit and share a beverage!

Well I was trying to hold off on buying more Ridge until the GAAF, but if I see it I won't be able to resist... and I'd love to get some in a bar one night. I'm more interested in stores and bars/restaurants in the downtown and Capitol Hill areas. Thanks!

Ace is on my list. As are several restaurants. I just have to get to it to verify locations. Unfortunately, Ridge is not in VA yet. We will be in DC with free time the 22nd-24th and would love visit and share a beverage!

Forgot to pm you back about that. I'm definitely good for dinner and drinks on Friday or Saturday. Let me know which works better. I'll get back to you on the hotel options too.

Is this March for the visit dates? If so, I'll have to see if I can make a special trip in to meet and greet! :cheers:

I'm definitely god for dinner and drinks on Friday or Saturday.

Oh great, now I have to update my pantheon. :tongue: Who has the rest of the week?

I seriously hate typing on the ipad....

I seriously hate typing on the ipad....

I tried to log into WS today on my ipad, but it was just an Etch-a-Sketch

Edited by Songcatcher

I have a MacBook and an iPhone. I've yet to succumb to the in between iPad. Never say never but these two do me fine although they're neat and pretty to look at and play with..

Edited by MASTERPC

Bistro Bis has a nice fountain but only Lucid. Rasika has Ridge V on their digestifs menu but at $16 I passed and got Mango Kesar Kulfi with Kiwi Compote.

Went to Circa at Dupont Circle. As soon as I walk in I see Vieux Carre on a shelf behind the bar. Yay! We sit at the far end of the bar and when I ask the bartender if they have absinthe he says no. Omg, here we go again. I whisper to my daughter that I'd seen some behind the bar, and she gets a panicked look in her eye. So now I'M the asshole because I have to point out to the bartender what he has behind him. While the others are ordering (from a different bartender) I get up from my seat and go over to where the VC is sitting. I ask the we-don't-have-it bartender what that is next to the Tia Maria. Oh! You were right! I ask him if he could make me a mojito using the absinthe instead of rum. Well... he picks up the bottle reluctantly.... this might be our last bottle, only enough for one drink. ??? Um, OKAY. (WHY do I come out as the bitch on this?) And I catch him whispering to the other bartender and looking at me as he makes the drink. WTF??? He hands me the drink (it was delicious) and says he finished the bottle and he'll have to go look to see if they have another one. Round two comes along: Did you find another bottle of the Vieux Carre? No, sorry. (Of course not do you really think I was going to take the time to look? Bitch.)

Crow,

Welcome to the wonderful world of lack of hospitable DC Metro bitchery.

Chinatown Coffee carries a couple bottles of absinthe. Their most notable being Clandestine. http://chinatowncoffee.com/bar/

They have a fountain behind the counter. Pretty awesome.

Went there last night and had the Clandestine. Nice. The ambiance is more neighborhood coffee/pastry shop than bar. The guy behind the counter seemed genuinely happy that I ordered an absinthe instead of a latte.