9 replies to this topic

#1 jeffalso

jeffalso

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

I'm sure most of you have already seen this, it's a few years old and some of the info is outdated, but overall it's an excellent piece.

Marvels segment on Absinthe on the History Channel:
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Edited by jeffalso, 02 June 2008 - 01:37 PM.

#2 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

Yep.

Ancient history.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#3 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:00 PM

Thanks, Jeff. Enjoyed watching it again.

#4 smug simian

smug simian

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:40 PM

I've seen this episode of modern marvels a few times......although one might say this episode also qualifies as a giant commercial. It also gives the basic recipe for making moonshine if I remember correctly.
The history channels are some of my favorites- along with the Science channel, discovery, National Geographic, Military channel, and anything else related to documentaries or fact. The only thing I don't like are shows about mummies or UFOs. They bore the heck out of me.

I should probably search the forums for the answer to this question..... but I wonder if the Combier product featured in this video can be found in the United States?

#5 Wilson

Wilson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:44 PM

The Lucid that was referred to in the video is available here in the U.S., but other Combier products require going to the livery stable and calling on the flying monkeys.

#6 smug simian

smug simian

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:05 PM

The Lucid that was referred to in the video is available here in the U.S., but other Combier products require going to the livery stable and calling on the flying monkeys.

The one I had in mind was the "reverse engineered" version he was talking about.
If my search result is correct, I *think* it's the "Jade Verte Suisse" from this link. The bottle design looks very similar, along with the description.

#7 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:27 PM

Well, in the broadest sense, I think Jade would say that all their absinthe releases are "reverse engineered" versions of a pre-ban brand. And the video segment was probably only referring to the VS because that was the first of the bunch, IIRC.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#8 Kyle M

Kyle M

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:47 AM

I believe I watched this with my father a few years back. He wanted to try to make some afterwards. I'm glad we didn't.
C:

#9 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

Sad news: I tried to find this segment, or identical uploads, but A&E complained and now it has been removed entirely from YouTube. Too bad, it was one of the most informative 10 minutes of absinthe in a nutshell.

Edit: Fortunately I was wrong. While several uploads appear to have been scrubbed, and a YT search for "Modern Marvels Absinthe" didn't yield results, I found it under "Jade Liquers at the Combier distillery" and "History of Absinthe".

Edited by Green Baron, 03 August 2012 - 12:58 PM.

This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#10 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association