Sign in to follow this  
dakini_painter

Now, Mata Hari

I went over to check out the new reviews and noticed a press article on the Mata Hari being released here in the US. Yes, there is a COLA (but you can go find it yourself) :devil:

Imported by our "friends" at MHW.

What about it is "from 1881"?

Edit:

I have to correct myself here: they say on the label that the original recipe is archived at the Old Vienna SchnapsMuseum. So shut my mouth.

Edited by dakini_painter

I have to say that this is very much a borderline product. It's well made, bears an obvious family resemblance to Montmartre and if the modern product is made from the recipe I've seen, is almost an absinthe, although I have a hard time calling it one. The problem is that there's not much anise flavor (read: none) and it's too bitter (but not crazy bitter). If they pumped up the anise a bit, I'd have no problem with it.

More to the point, the maker—Gerry Fischer—agrees that it's not a traditional absinthe as we know it. The recipes are on the books, if you want to argue about it with Mr. Fischer, the fifth-generation distiller, be my guest. I've had nothing but polite and gentlemanly correspondence with him.

I'd like to have a few words with whoever wrote the press release though. :devil:

Now, you know that some people are going to jump all over this. Let them come up with a book.

recipe_books.jpg

Well I have to apologize to M. Fischer then. I'd only heard about the original version from a friend in the EU who got to try it. It sounds like this is a great improvement. Good luck to them!

(Psst. TTB approved their label within 30 days of formula approval. There's hope for us yet Hiram.)

Don't get me started on labels. I am not a happy camper.

The new Mata Hari is a definite improvement over the original. It's not as bitter and it's naturally colored with pontica. I don't expect many here to find it appropriately labeled, and there is merit to that argument.

Hiram, are you having labeling issues?

No, I'm fine. It's the Bureau that has issues.

I am sorry for the difficulties friend, but that was funny!

I have a question or two about the Mata Hari.

If the dominant flavor is not anise, is the dominant flavor wormwood?

I understand that the Fisher distillery made this absinthe in the late 19th century. At least the recipe is said to date from that time. Can you tell us more about the history of this recipe? Are there any vintage marketing posters of this absinthe? What were the years of production for this absinthe in the Belle Époque? Are there any vintage bottles of the original recipe?

It seems that many of the existing absinthes on the US market have had a considerably longer timeframe for their approval (even excluding Lucid and Kübler for obvious reasons). What do you consider the reason(s) for the rapid approval, if you don't mind my asking.

Thanks.

Visiting the distillery was one of the highlights of my honeymoon (thank god my wife doesn't read the forum)...

And the Fischers were kind enough to open the old family safe for me when I visited, to look at the old recipe book.

If I could get Montmarte in Australia I would be very happy.