Sign in to follow this  
Brian Robinson

Absinthe in OC, MD

Link.

Diluted Form Of Absinthe Served In Ocean City

By ELAINA ATHANS -- WMDT 5/28/2008

For nearly 100 years a liquor called Absinthe has been banned in America. But the government just OK-ed a water-downed version of it, and one Ocean City bar is selling it.

For $6 a drink, Bamboo Restaurant Owner Joey Capo says the drink can take you on an acid-like trip.

Capo says, "You'll see flashes, you'll see colors, you'll see things moving around that shouldn't be."

The drink is made with a liquor called Grande Absentee. In 2007, the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau legalized it. It's a diluted form of the liquor Absinthe, which can cause hallucinations. But Capo says both products have the same effect.

Capo says, "It does have the same psychotropic properties that it used to have."

Grande Absentee is 138 proof. And the owner says it's so strong, so potion, that he'll only serve three shots to a customer.

Capo says, "Small amounts kind of gives you the same effects as THC. But in larger amounts, it can cause brain damage."

The FDA regulates over all production of absinthe-based products.

I'm a frequent visitor of OC, MD, since my parents live about 10 minutes away. But I'll never go to this douchebag's establishment, except maybe to 'educate' him.

I read that horse shit yesterday and felt a beating was in order. The man sucketh mightily! He needs three shots........minimum!

Have a pleasant day :)

I sent an email to the journalist and to the news manager at the paper.

I also plan on stopping by Bamboo to talk to Joey in a few weeks. By the way, he's doing absinthe parties now, sponsored by Green Moon... :poop:

I sent an email to the journalist and to the news manager at the paper.

I also plan on stopping by Bamboo to talk to Joey in a few weeks. By the way, he's doing absinthe parties now, sponsored by Green Moon... :poop:

Let us know if the journalist responds...

Can we send the Death Squad?

The death squad is now here. They have Grande Absente and Lucid. I ordered a Lucid and had to specify no fire. But once I did, we've been having a decent, educational conversation.

He knows what he wrote in the article is bull, but it's been drumming up a lot of business, so I doubt he'll change his tone or presentation, regardless of what we talk about.

Oh, and they also serve Agwa and everglow. Should tell you a little about what crowd they are catering too. :(

I was at a social gathering two weeks ago and the topic of absinthe was brought up. I had to discount everything they were sure was so true because of the advertising statement and things they had read in the media.

Of course, they looked at the blonde like, "What would she know?"

The profit whores are so damaging with their slick marketing techniques.

Yes, I'm being 'keenly observant' again. :dry: Sheesh.

Yet, the Fighters for Truth in Alabama consist of a blonde goofball and a metal freak. We need some slick PR and a campaign manager.

So, I thought I'd follow up on the discussion I had with the people at Bamboo.

Apparently they were talked to by some 'experts' from who-knows-where about how to serve absinthe. First, they said that, of the brands they have (Absente, Lucid, and Grande Absente) the Grande Absente was the best and most authentic.

On top of that, they were told that the louche is a bad thing. They originally recommended to me to have the Green Moon (which they also carry but don't advertise as absinthe) because you can "prepare it the same way, but it won't cloud, so it's a lot better." It doesn't get that nasty "milk-thing".

Also, the preferred method of presentation is the absinthe poured over the sugar, flamed, then watered.

So, apparently, there is a group of people going around to bars and educating them the absolutely wrong thing. :twitchsmile:

They do make it a practice however to give you the water pitcher so you can water it to your preferred level. But that's kind of a moot point after you've ruined it with fire.

This is the best pic I could come away with.

IMAGE_00199.jpg

Sorry if anyone is a fan, but I really hate that Absente Cat water pitcher (shown in Shabba's photo above). It's got about as much class as a beer helmet...