I am mostly directing this question to T73: Are Clandestine products going to be available to be purchased within the U.S. market? Shipping rates are definitely a killer. I don't understand the reason why it isn't able to be sold within the States. I mean, it doesn't seem to be very heavy on wormwood. Is there perhaps a labeling problem? Thanks to anyone who can help me out by answering this.

:heart: KALLISTI :heart:

Thanks for asking but I haven't a clue.

I read a lot and snoop around a little but I'm not privy to any commercial absinthe maker's plans. I wish Claude-Alain Bugnon could get his products into the US. Certainly, I keep offering Alan all sorts of disgusting favors to help ship CLB to Montana. I think odds are good but whether it's in 6 months or 5 years is anyone's guess.

No absinthe can be allowed for sale in the US without first proving it falls below the thujone threshold and also receives label approval from the TTB. As many of you have seen over the past year or so, the label approval can literally take months and months for an absinthe label as opposed to the normal days or weeks for other alcohols.

Assuming C.A.B. submitted the sample and proper forms, it could still be 6 months or more before it's available for sale.

Hmmm....I'm just sort of not understanding the big deal. I know many here are not new to absinthe, and perhaps they have more reasons for being frustrated, but, I just don't understand. I know from drinking it that it is not a narcotic...in the sense that it acts similar to an illicit drug. There is sort of a small hint of euphoria and energy; but that's all! Making it illegal has shrouded absinthe in myth which has profited some companies, but this disinformation is hilarious. Absinthe's reputation definitely supercedes the reality. It's just a tasty drink. I know politics are not to be discussed here...but all I want to say is this: I think there are more serious troubles people could be concentrating on then someone drinking absinthe.

Hmmm....I'm just sort of not understanding the big deal. I know many here are not new to absinthe, and perhaps they have more reasons for being frustrated, but, I just don't understand. I know from drinking it that it is not a narcotic...in the sense that it acts similar to an illicit drug.

It's alcohol politics.

Certainly, I keep offering Alan all sorts of disgusting favors to help ship CLB to Montana.
Did I miss something? What are you offering?
I think odds are good but whether it's in 6 months or 5 years is anyone's guess.
I made some guesses here.

"My main predictions for absinthe in 2008 are as follows:-

1. By December 2008, there will be at least 8 - 10 absinthes freely available in the USA. They will include more absinthes from France, Switzerland, the USA and the first Czech absinth to launch officially in the USA ....."

No reason to change that prediction, especially given the words "at least." :devil: :devil:

1. By December 2008, there will be at least 8 - 10 absinthes freely available in the USA.

Too good to be true. I'll bet they still make us pay money for it.

The question is how much will the products we enjoy cost when they're available here? Sure, we won't have to pay shipping (or will have to pay interstate shipping at the most) but the stuff has to be shipped here. Then there's all the other taxes and fees and markups.

They should be able to charge less. Their production will have to increase with the addition of the US into their markets, but at the same time, shipping bulk costs much less per unit that individual bottles.

So, technically, their production costs may go up, but their shipping and distribution should cost less. They should be able to pass that savings along to the consumer. That is, unless they are making a profit on the shipping, which some purveyors obviously do more than others.

Cost will not be cheap regardless of how available some brands become and yes they all are making as much money on shipping as product, so the assholes can keep their super duper absinthes, I for one ain't paying it. :thumbdown:

it's been brought up many times on this forum and elsewhere that the amount of herbs needed to make enough absinthe to satisfy a national release to the US in any quantity is very difficult. I haven't tried the Clandestine, but from what I understand, they use choice herbs. That would make it even more difficult to produce enough absinthe (and all that is if they have the capabilities of producing that much). So, they may or may not be thinking of bringing the stuff to the US.

I could be very wrong in this, but don't they grow their own wormwood and other herbs? Would they be able to scale up the production of the herbs that much and retain the quality?

I certainly can't speak for the producers but the quality minded crafters I'm familiar with, would rather make less volume to insure quality. If you scrimp on quality the sales or lack of will follow. I doubt any quality producer wants to be a one hit wonder.

It would make more sense to a simple minded person like me to keep quality up.

Keep your customers happy and in the end everybody wins!

Greed and ignorance are old buddies. Snake oil anyone?

That is just my silly opinion.......it's worth what you paid for it. :cheers:

Having tried to ship (and mail) items to Europe, courier service is damn expensive. That's all there is to that. I don't believe the quality sites charge any more for shipping and handling than absolutely necessary.

And maybe a White one too ..

Alan, you make me swoon. CLB remains one of my favorite. A white of that caliber will be quite pleasing.

I apologize for the statement about overseas dealers money making on shipments, I just returned home from a stay in the hospital and have not been in a very good mood nor have I felt very well. Just take me out to the back fourty and stake me out and force feed me crapsmith for punishment it won't make me feel any worse than I already do.

You must have us confused with one of those S&M forums. We're not nearly that mean around here. ;)

I can understand how someone would think the absinthe businesses are making money on shipping. It is so damn expensive! I might have thought so myself but once I tried to send a lil' something to the Netherlands, I nearly pissed my pants! I'm sure someone is making money on shipping but it's not our friendly absinthe purveyors.

I hope you feel better, ET. :cheers:

Yes, shipping to Europe is very expensive. I ship a lot of eBay items and can attest to that: whenever I agree to ship something to Europe (or Asia), I end up regretting it because I simply can't conceive of how high it will be, and invariably underestimate shipping charges. Now flat rate envelopes are reasonable. Think we could get PF 1901 shipped in a Ziploc bag??

Having tried to ship (and mail) items to Europe, courier service is damn expensive. That's all there is to that. I don't believe the quality sites charge any more for shipping and handling than absolutely necessary.

AFAIK, international post cost is primarily determined by weight, so if there's one thing that seems odd it's the "it costs the same to ship one bottle as it does three" mantra.

Well now if Hiram would brew his magic potion we could all stop this big conflab and start to enjoy the very best made right here. Lets see I got plenty firewood, great big shade trees some herbs maybe not the exact right kind but heck we can make do or he can bring his own heck I'll even whittle the corks, already got a collection of bottles all we got to do is remove the labels and wash em out, even got a funnel so we can load em without spilling a drop. Now it ain't gonna get no better than that, just think of it brewing the good stuff down here in the dark woods been done before ya know. What ya say Hiram want to give it a try? :laugh: