I've been tweaking the FAQ around a bit and added links to the infamous flaming-shot videos here and here. I thought I'd post them here in case some folks haven't seen them yet. They make a marvelous educational tool. It's not every day you get to see Darwinism in action. Well, yes it is. But still.

beavis.jpg

fire! fire! fire! fire! huh huh huh huh huh!

damn,.......thats good stuff,.....what a couple of maroons!

As I have mentioned before, I own a fire safety business, a big part of which is fire safety education. I know a fire story about just about anything you can mention but I have never seen those videos. I can't watch that guy's "pants on fire dance" without laughing my ass off. :absomphe:

I noticed while watching a movie Bram Stoker's Dracula 1992, that they drank absinthe in the traditional way, no flames, just sugar and water.

I thought perhaps that since it was made in the early 90s, that the frat house fire ritual hadnt become popular at that time, but i was proven wrong when i saw another film (this one about Jack the Ripper) called From Hell 1991, where not only does he light his sugar cube on fire but he adds a few generous drops of laudanum to the sugar before burning it.

I guess it makes for a more interesting scene in a movie, but I doubt burning a laudanum tincture will do anything but waste it.

That's Hollywood.

Exactamundo. All the fire absinthe scenes in movies today appear to be made for the ADD/MTV generation. Is it merely coincidence that MTV and the explosion of ADD diagnoses both occurred in the last twenty years? I think not.

From Hell is from 2001, so it still fits the pattern.

I was looking through a 60's-70's bar tending book, and amazingly they didn't include the fire ritual. They also said you use absinthe substitute.

Fire is stupid, might as well be using gasoline. After all, we are not talking about carmelizing onions on food network here. Whats the fire for? Flambe? From now on, every new brand I try, I'm going without sugar to start with and one to three, no more water. To me after that, and I'm talking the Jades here, they move from a world class drink to licorice punch. Hell it's just my palet and I realize, there are probably many many different palets out there, as individual as people sometimes I think. As for the flaming download, I can't help but notice that the victim doesn't think it's nearly as funny as his buddy does...

Exactamundo. All the fire absinthe scenes in movies today appear to be made for the ADD/MTV generation. Is it merely coincidence that MTV and the explosion of ADD diagnoses both occurred in the last twenty years? I think not.

I must have been one of the unlucky ones caught in the crossfire. Because I've got ADD and I hate MTV with every fiber of my being.