Retrogarde

The Time Travel Experiment

Indeed! One of the earliest Absinthe films is from 1911. I've been watching it quite often lately.

...so exteriors it is. No problem, I've found a few locations that are period and beautiful.
My only concern with outdoors locations is the dynamics of nature. Lots of plants can come and go in a hundred years. Trees grow quite a bit over a century and topography can change quite a bit too. Way more variables that cannot be controled unlike a room. I'm just say'n is all. :)

TheScrin = Al Gore :wave2:

I should clarify: the location will be outdoors, but the backdrop (if you will) will be man-made. I am currently scoping out the exterior of a museum built in 1892. The front steps are guarded by life size stone lions and the whole thing just has a wonderful look to it. We'll see if I can pull it off...

Gentle Reader: The Time Traveler nearly made a fatal error! Once in the past, how exactly was he planning on returning?? Luckily, a kind member of this list has prepared an emergency vial of Modern American Post Ban Absinthe (MAPBA?), to get the Traveler back to the future in case he gets stuck.

Thank you kind patron! May your name one day be mentioned!

I should clarify: the location will be outdoors, but the backdrop (if you will) will be man-made.

I understand that at that time movies were filmed in Daylight, with the sets being open-air and more often than not on the roof. So doing that would not be historically inaccurate per se.........

Which is what made Shadow of the Vampire such an irritating film for me. The very notion --while fun-- is at odds either with vampire lore or the reality of movie making at that time. The solution used by the filmmakers was less than satisfying, but Willem Defoe gives such an amazing performance...

Is my M.A.P.B.A. Sirene? Nope, but that's a yummy choice too.

And besides, how's T gonna get his glass back? ;)

Well, obviously it was already the same glass Retro was using when T bought it the first time. So, really, he already did.

One exceedingly pleasant saucer is on its way from France to join in the experiment. Thanks be to the Great and Generous Socky for putting this item up for sale. :cheers:

As I've gone along my Absinthe journey these past four years I've accumulated a number of interesting tidbits and findings, so I decided (as I get my 21st century affairs in order) to put them all in one place, a sort of Catch-all or Common Place Book of Absinthe.

book1.jpg

The first benefit to this was the realization that I've tried 25 different Absinthes! I can remember the exact locations and events leading up to each one, but for how long? Will I remember as clearly in another four years (and 25 more Absinthes!)? Better to write it down now and keep the book up to date.

Clearly I enjoy a bit of the dramatic, so forgive me if the book smacks too much of Henry Jones Senior's Grail Diary!

Does anyone else keep a similar book?

I started a journal noting all of the meals I've had in my travels. (Mostly France). You forget after a while. That's a great idea for absinthe. Maybe I'll write what I liked or didn't like about a particular brand. Nice Indiana Jones reference, btw.

Cheers

...or you could just write reviews of all of them here!

Baby steps good sir. I'm working up to it. Remembering my impressions of the 20+ modern Absinthes I'll have had before the 1910 will be a good exercise as well. It should help me evaluate the pre-ban in a fuller context.

I think it's a good idea Retrogarde. So many have said how their response to an absinthe has changed over time, even with the best brands. Thanks for sharing your tip! :cheers:

For the Time Traveler this Thursday will, for a time, become July 10th, 1911.

The last few details have fallen into place. I've acquired a vintage saucer and vintage suit jacket, and decided upon the location for the experiment: the steps of a museum built in 1892 looking across a college green at six buildings of similar date (or earlier). I've scouted the location daily for weeks, and am confident I'll be undisturbed. Of course if I am, public drinking is a Class E felony in Maine...

I am aiming for 9am, Eastern Standard Time. If the weather turns ugly I'll have to postpone, but only for the sake of the camera; I have no problem louching in the rain!

So wish me luck folks, and send your thoughts my way on the day! :cheers: