Retrogarde

The Time Travel Experiment

Thursday morphed into Sunday, but nonetheless it is done! This will be the best documented experiment, but it might take a little longer for the results.

As my photographer had no absinthe experience I louched up a modern glass first so that he would know what to be shooting for (and for a taste comparison). He got some splendid results with that glass, and then we were on to the real stuff. There was a bit more equipment involved this time, which was a bit off-putting as far as the Time Travel was concerned, but --being a professional photographer-- he was quite good at helping me tune all that out and focus on the moment. And the moment once again was melancholy, perhaps in part because this was the absolute last of my pre-ban.

We shot in a house built in the 1880's, and used quite a few more props to further flesh out the experiment, so I can't wait to share the results!

Too cool! Were there any experiential sensations that differed from the first, alongside the indoor/outdoor location?

House from the 1880s, eh? Did it have that cool effect in the windows where the glass is all ripply from "flowing" downward so slowly?

Hey Scuto, I don't recall if the windows in that house in particular had the "flowing" glass, but I love that stuff! It's a wonderful reminder of how time and entropy affect the world around us.

As far as the experience, it was certainly easier to let go of the current century in an indoor (and well insulated) location. I still never lost track of the fact that I was "here", but I was more comfortably also "there" if that makes sense. As you can see in the photo I put some effort into laying out a believable area to focus on. The various objects helped to create in my mind the impression of a man enjoying a glass of absinthe after a day's work. Hopefully that translates in the photo!

That sort of "retiring" after a day's work vibe does come across for me. The here/there thing makes sense, too; you were grounded while still allowing your imagination/knowledge of the time period have free reign, no? Entropy Glass would be a good name for a glassblower's business!

It seems the Time Traveler has messed with history a bit. No doubt the pressure of trying to avoid a catastrophic time paradox became too much and he snapped...

studio1.jpg

CM2.jpg

These photos were taken by Keliy Anderson-Staley with a vintage wet plate collodion camera. The absinthe gear is all vintage except for the Brouilleur and the contents of the glass. It seems the Time Traveler chose to bring some Walton Waters into the past with him! He must hold it in pretty high regard.

The arm and raygun were built by me, entirely from metal, wood, glass and leather.

Thank you for this Retro. You have reminded me that i am not alone in the sense of believing liquor and food can transport us to different parts of the world and time. Bravo! :clap:

Retrogarde has done some very nice work. His pics are quite nice. I don't have a link handy but I'm sure the first page of this thread may be a good place to start. Cheers!

It seems the Time Traveler chose to bring some Walton Waters into the past with him! He must hold it in pretty high regard.

Retrogarde...making The Past a better place!

Nice pics!

Thanks guys. This took two years of planning to pull off (the photographer is from NYC and doesn't get up my way often), but I'm really pleased with the results. I was torn about trying to do a straight up 100% authentic photo vs. the steampunk one, but in the end the lack of Pre-ban in my glass decided it for me. If the drink wasn't going to be period then I felt free to throw whatever else I wanted into the shot as well! :cheers:

Thanks Retro!

(Though I must say that glass looks mighty full and unlouched, kind of like some pre-Ban postcard pictures you see. But I bet that robotic man can handle it!)

:cheers:

Believe it or not, that glass held a beautiful milky white louche as light as the saucer and sugar cubes. Funny things happen in photography I guess. It's a mirror image as well, but that really only stands out to me.

In B&W films, chocolate sauce makes great blood for this same reason! I know, as I used it in a film that honored Bunuel back in my film school daze 30 somthin' years ago. What a great artist he was.

Believe it or not, that glass held a beautiful milky white louche as light as the saucer and sugar cubes. Funny things happen in photography I guess.

That's great to know! I'd alwayswondered what was going on, and so perhaps something in the colloidal photography process. Very interesting. Thanks for the pictures!

Wonderful! :thumbup: :cheers:

Doesn't that mechanical arm have a compartment for a spoon and sugar, and is "powered" by a vial of absinthe?

I wonder if the same effect that makes the absinthe look so dark in your photo effected photos from the pre-ban era, since I've seen some oldies in which a louched glass looked nearly as dark.