Sign in to follow this  
occasionaldrinker

LA absinthe enjoyers, do you know where I can purchase accessories in town?

What Shabba said.

Our preferred vendors are there for a reason. I'll bet you get your glasses in tip top shape!

Now, about that newcomer introduction thread? ;)

Well, I was hoping to find store locations, not online sites, but I suppose I can go into the newcomer section and introduce myself instead... Still, I hope to get some answers! ;)

I hear antique stores are a good bet. I imagine that it would be easier to find absinthe antiques on the East Coast or in the San Francisco and/or San Diego areas as LA didn't really get big until after the Ban. But you never know.

Or just use a large wine glass and a sports bottle.

I've found the Perigord glasses in my local (Sherman Oaks) Cost Plus World Market. I think Sur La Table has them, too.

As for spoons, most of you know where I got mine ;) but unfortunately, that fabulous French import shop no longer exists.

You don't need spoons, cause you don't need sugar. You don't really need glasses, but if you have cash, they are a nice addition to your bar. What you do need is a broulier or a fountain, but you can hand drip till you get one.

Well since you put it like that, you don't really NEED anything except absinthe, water and a receptacle for both (which could be your mouth if necessary). A fountain should be one of the LAST accessories to buy, especially when you're just starting out and not sure if you really like absinthe. One of the FIRST things you should invest in is a spoon. It's the cheapest absinthe accessory there is, and makes life easier. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

I purchased all my glasses, saucers, spoons, foutains, etc., from domestic and overseas online vendors and have never had anything arrive broken or damaged. Once I was shipped the wrong item but that was resolved lickity-split. Merchants that ship their wares take care in packaging because it makes good business sense. They don't want to pay for replacements and eat the shipping on top of that so they strive to get you your order right and intact the first time.

If breakage is your concern, you shouldn't worry about it. If you purchase from any of the reputable vendors on the vendor page, they will replace anything that gets broken. At least, that's been my experience.

That's also why they are on the preferred vendors page. ;)

One of the FIRST things you should invest in is a spoon. It's the cheapest absinthe accessory there is, and makes life easier. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

it's cheap, but not really needed unless you want the sugar in the absinthe. I would suggest a fork or somesuch first to decide if you like sugar in your absinthe or not. If you don't like the sugar, while the spoon is neat and cool looking... it'll just kinda sit there and look envious of the other barware that you are using.

I would say the better thing is a glass. Wine glasses work fine, and you want to make sure it's transparent. You want something that will let you watch the louche form. It doesn't have to be an absinthe glass, either. But something you like the look, heft and handfeel to. Remember, the initial absinthe glasses were just water glasses. Then people got all crazy with the reservoirs and swirls and whatnot.

then you can think about the fountains. Me, I'll probable never buy a fountain. Would kinda be nice, but a carafe works fine for me. Actually, I have a fleaker I use. It looks really neat, has a good pour spout to allow me to drip drip drop my little water droplets, and is graduated so that I know how much water I've poured. If I needed a fountain, I would probably set up a sepratory funnel.

/geek mode.

it's cheap, but not really needed unless you want the sugar in the absinthe. I would suggest a fork or somesuch first to decide if you like sugar in your absinthe or not. If you don't like the sugar, while the spoon is neat and cool looking... it'll just kinda sit there and look envious of the other barware that you are using.

What Bill said. Besides, a fork's prongs have too much space between them and would allow big chunks of sugar to get through that you can't smash into smaller pieces because the fork is flat.

I would say the better thing is a glass. Wine glasses work fine, and you want to make sure it's transparent. You want something that will let you watch the louche form. It doesn't have to be an absinthe glass, either. But something you like the look, heft and handfeel to. Remember, the initial absinthe glasses were just water glasses. Then people got all crazy with the reservoirs and swirls and whatnot.

If what you need is 'just' a glass, you don't even need to go buy an absinthe glass. Who doesn't have a wine glass laying around, or even just a clear glass? If you're going to use a fork, you might as well continue being thrifty and just use a wine glass.