Since we all seem to have easy access to bottles now...I don't see why we couldn't manage a WS Texas Event ;)

Heh, should host it near one of those renaissance festivals when one is going on; ah to be a bar owner for that mess. :pirate:

I have found Lucid available lots of places in Austin. But, only Lucid so far, no other brands. I know there are about a half dozen or so now approved for US sale. So is it a TABC thing that you can't find Kübler, Sirene or St George, for a few examples, in Texas yet? I would think that if a liquor store or bar was finding success selling one brand they would expand their selection. I know there are plenty of good online dealers, it's just nice to be able to go pick up a bottle.

Follow the money, you'll get to the truth.

Maholo.

Edited by mesteele

Awareness of absinthe is still relatively scarce (unless you live in Seattle where you can't swing a cat without hitting an absinthe enthusiast, apparently), I'm sure a lot of liquor stores aren't selling a lot of it yet and thus don't pay it much attention.

At my local BevMo, which generally has everything alcoholic under the sun, there is still only Lucid, Kübler, St. George, Le Tourment, and Grande Absente/Absente. The latter two are not worth your time if you run across them. As for Sirene, it comes from North Shore Distillery in the Chicago area, and I think has relatively limited distribution. I had to place my order from an online retailer to get my order of it, and still haven't seen it anywhere here in SoCal. Next on my hit list is Leopold Brothers which I'm going to try to get an order for this week.

I just checked out their "virtual tour"...which is really just a couple snapshots of the bar interior mixed with every google image result that comes up when you query "absinthe".

The bar itself actually looks kind of hip. The kind of place where people compare Kurosawa's films to Herzog's.

Let us know how it is if you make it over there.

Daegul: That thread is actually about the place in Houston. Although the URL for the Dallas location was briefly mentioned.

It doesn't help when every bar trying to promote absinthe calls themselves "The Absinthe Lounge".

I emailed them last spring and got no reply, so I called and got a very stand-offish answer about them serving the real deal, "Absente," served in the traditional way, with a flame.

The Absinthe Brasserie was the same.

That was last year, mind you. A lot has happened since then.

Maybe not too much though.

Holding it down on the traditional tip.

I am looking for an absinthe bar in Houston, does anybody know any ? I am here for three days....

I just found that this section "Absinthe in Cities Around the World" mixes the threads of "cities" and "states"...... like this one (Texas).

Thanks for any help !

- Marcelo

Post number 9 in this thread has a link to a place in Houston called the Absinthe Lounge. It actually would be good to get a report from that place, since it's been a while. They started with nothing but crap and lit it on fire, but their menu showed that they were getting ready to bring in some decent brands.

Maybe some education wouldn't hurt!

Been there, done that, the owners wife got offended when it was pointed out burning sugar cubes is a foolish act.

It's nice local bar, good food, decent cocktails, but as far as absinthe, they won't have anything not on the shelves at Spec's. (Lucid, Kübler, Mata Hari, St. George, Pernod)

Until the big distributor in Tx brings some other brands, that's about it. (Blame it on R******c & the TABC, you don't want to know the hassle we had at AvantGarden)

If it was me, I'd go to Anvil on Westhiemer and enjoy the best cocktails in Houston.

http://www.anvilhouston.com/

AvantGarden down the road on Westhiemer from Anvil has absinthe too.

http://www.avantgardenhouston.com/

If you are Houston on Fri. there might be a few people getting together to drink some green hooch.

opppsss..... when I read this thread a few hours agos I read about the Absinthe Lounge that Brian suggested.... so I went there after my business meeting... However, they do not open on Monday ! When I arrived I read the other suggestions above.....

I can try tomorrow, I am not sure. I made my colleagues very excited about absinthe....

But, after seeing the websithe of Absinthe Lounge with that green stuff that does not look absinthe but some pine toilet liquid, and the sugar cube in flames, I was kind of thinking that maybe it would not have anything there..... I was hoping for some good US brands at least..... anyway, the place was closed.... sorry....

I finished my night drinking some cognac at the hotel lobby......

Tomorrow, if I go, I will write my impressions about Avantgarden or The Anvil (but I cannot promise, since I am accompanied with some colleagues in this meeting....)

thanks for the suggestions...

- Marcelo

If it was me, I'd go to Anvil on Westhiemer and enjoy the best cocktails in Houston.

http://www.anvilhouston.com/

I noticed they use sotol in some of their cocktails. Have you tried any of them/are they any good? I've got most of a bottle sitting on my shelf and I don't really know what to do with it. Some of those cocktails caught my eye.

very bad that in the second day I could not convince my friends to go to that absinthe bar in Houston. We eventually went to a wine bar, called Tasting Room, in uptown. Very good place !

I am back to Denver now.

- Marcelo

I went to The Anvil last weekend after reading about it in this thread. Great place! Turns out my friends knew one of the bartenders/managers there and gave us a free round of drinks! I had an absinthe frappe with Lucid and Herbsaint. Very tasty. For round two I had St George with sugar but the bartender took such a long time pouring the water. At first she was pouring over the cube and though she was going to light it and played the scenario in my head how I was going to stop her. Fortunately she did it right. We're definitely going back there soon and I'll be trying their other drinks. I'll try something with sotol just for you baubel.

I'll eventually make my way to Advant Garden. If there is ever a meet there I sure would like to join in. Could you guys notify me, please? On their website it says that every night at 11 is a green hour. How is it?

Whiskey Cake in Plano, TX is having an absinthe dinner on Monday July 18th. They'll be serving Tenneyson absinthe in a variety of preparations, including the "Traditional Louche."

The cost is $55 and I'm debating on whether or not it's worth it to me. It includes a tantalizing 4 course meal and 5 drinks, with a lesson on absinthe.

Texas is a city? Well yes it is, but I don't think there is a lot of absinthe there. All the flames come from the refineries there.

chrome, is how good absinthe is ordered in TX. Or email for some wiser folks than myself.