• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

Are these any good? I like a decent cigarette for when I've been drinking, and the thought of putting those foul Big Tobacco Nicotine-delivery systems in my mouth makes me sick. At least AS's don't have anything in them but tobacco. Are their Periques at all good?
Life is moist and stinky

#2 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

To veer briefly off-topic, if you haven't tried Perique liqueur, you'll love it!

#3 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

I tried them once, if you are looking for something tasty and aromatic you would be looking in the wrong place. It was an interesting change for a regular smoker, but if you only smoke when you are drinking and are looking for something special I would suggest a good clove cigarette. Djarums are easy to find but if you can get a hold of the odd little packs from Indonesia get those. I think they smell good and taste great, they wear you down if you smoke them too much though.
"Babies belong in this lake, go ahead, throw him in!" said the Baby Eating Monster that lives in the lake.

#4 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:57 AM

If you haven't tried Perique liqueur, you'll love it!

And if you can find this your pocketbook will love it too.
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#5 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:32 AM

Unfortunetly I really hate clove cigs. Can't stand them. I love the taste of tobacco--good tobacco, or at least, not dirt Marlboro brown asbestos flakes--and have heard that perique tobacco is rather good. Plus I saw the film on how they specially grow and age the tobacco for their cigs--American Spirit I'm talking about--and was really interested. I knwo they're supposed to be harsh, but are they at least more interesting than their other varieties? The American Spirit Lights are what I'd usually pick up, cause they burn long, and at least taste like tobacco. I just assumed the Periques would be an interesting experience. I'll probably get a pack anyway to try them, just seeking input!
Life is moist and stinky

#6 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:58 AM

Try Nat Sherman smokes.
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#7 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

Well I got a pack and I must say that I enjoy them. While not intensely aromatic, they do have a flavor I enjoy. They're almost spicy IMO, and have a subtle sweetness. I think they taste about a 1000x times better than any of the cancer sticks out there, and seem to be just what I was expecting of them. Hell, 100% pressure-aged tobacco? Fine with me till I find something better in one of the local tobacconist. Can't smoke many of them in a day me thinks, so perfect for a "night-cap-smoke" and really good for a "I've had some more booze than I should have and need some tobacco to straighten my brain out"!
Life is moist and stinky

#8 WhyteKnight

WhyteKnight

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:59 PM

They're not too bad at all. The perique component in the American Spirits is actually faily low, as I understand it. I think I've heard it sits somewhere around one or two percent of the tobacco blend, tops, providing I remember right. Perique is a really nice "spice" tobacco. If you really like that note and ever considered smoking a pipe, McClelland tobacco's frog morton on the bayou is a nice blend containing perique.

#9 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:17 AM

Some deadly vintage little Perique coffin nails, vintage Picayune, Pride of New Orleans. Brooks could probably tell some horror stories about these.

I've got a couple of vintage packs of Picayunes, for a photo shoot, though I'll never light 'em up, since I don't want a lung transplant.

Posted Image
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#10 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,260 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:52 AM

Ah, the days of simple yet beautiful packaging.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#11 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:54 AM

Picayunes....gawd. My father smoked three to four packs of Picayunes a day, before graduating to unfiltered Camels, Kools, Pall Malls, and emphysema.

Organ sting.....fade-out.

:fork:

#12 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

The person who dreamed up Extra Mild must have had a dark sense of humor.
You can hear the carcinogens rattling around the inside of the pack.
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#13 zombie

zombie

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:48 PM

The person who dreamed up Extra Mild must have had a dark sense of humor.
You can hear the carcinogens rattling around the inside of the pack.

Have you ever had a cig by the name of Black Death. Mild as hell, but half way though the first one you cant help but cough and cough and cough. Taste, yet deadly
Props For Buddha

#14 Fixedspiral

Fixedspiral

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:39 AM

HOLY CRAP! I was almost positive that I was insane for not being able to find a single person who had heard of or tried Black Death cigarettes. Do you have any idea if they are still available? Last time I saw them was about 4 or 5 years ago, but I did see some Black Death cigarette papers in a tobacco shop a few months back. I asked the guy working if he had any idea about the cigarettes and he didn't.

#15 seeker of truth

seeker of truth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

I've never tried the Periques, but Captain Black Tobacco smells divine. I have no idea if they still make Black Death smokes but you've got to love the name. If you're looking at cigarettes I liked Kamel Reds & Kamel Red Lights.
I talk like a drunk man walks, in every which way but where he is headed.

#16 zombie

zombie

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:05 PM

HOLY CRAP! I was almost positive that I was insane for not being able to find a single person who had heard of or tried Black Death cigarettes. Do you have any idea if they are still available? Last time I saw them was about 4 or 5 years ago, but I did see some Black Death cigarette papers in a tobacco shop a few months back. I asked the guy working if he had any idea about the cigarettes and he didn't.

They are still Around, just real hard to find, when ever I see them I buy them just because I find it perfect for a cig to be called black death. Nothing beats a company that is Honest about their product
Props For Buddha

#17 Quartermaster James

Quartermaster James

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:18 PM

Well, if it's old school packaging that strikes your fancy...the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society has a nifty free prop download that transforms your pack of standard smokes into genuine Fleurs-De-Lys cigarettes!

http://www.cthulhuli...OCS/FDLpack.pdf
A Pox on the OLCC!

Y.M.H.S.
Quartermaster James

#18 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,720 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:26 PM

H.P. Lovecraft? Who's that?

Edited by baubel, 29 April 2010 - 09:26 PM.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#19 Quartermaster James

Quartermaster James

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:45 PM

Some guy who drank a lot of pre-ban Absinthe...
A Pox on the OLCC!

Y.M.H.S.
Quartermaster James

#20 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,720 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:46 PM

Hmm. Must have influenced Poppy Z Brite. ;)

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#21 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:26 AM

Did you see the ban that's coming in Australia? Cig packs will not be allowed to have any branding or design. They'll be a standard government white package with huge warnings on them and then the brand in tiny letters.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#22 ignis

ignis

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:29 AM

Did you see the ban that's coming in Australia? Cig packs will not be allowed to have any branding or design. They'll be a standard government white package with huge warnings on them and then the brand in tiny letters.

not to mention a 25% tax increase so a single pack will cost $15- $18. The plain pack thing will probably get shafted I think as the tobacco companies are already claiming restriction of identity or some such thing. Australia has an awesome government they work on weekends at the circus you should see how many of these clowns fit in a small car.
"I just want silence. Jesus, it doesn't mean I don't like you. It just means right now, I like silence more."

#23 Quartermaster James

Quartermaster James

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:45 AM

Back to the topic title:

Because of this post, I tried the American Spirit Perique blend and found them quite enjoyable. Certainly not the same sort of Perique hit you'd find in an English style pipe tobacco, but a nice fullness added over the usual cigarette.

Even my father, who smokes Camel straights, declared them quite nice, despite the filters.

Maybe they'll try marketing something with Latakia?

PS: I was pleasantly surprised that these did not come at a premium price over regular American Spirit cigarettes.

A Pox on the OLCC!

Y.M.H.S.
Quartermaster James

#24 ignis

ignis

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:33 AM

I tried a pack of some nice black vanilla smokes the other day and they went beautifully with the duplais,eich and perroquet.

A very nice smoke for a non heavy smoker like myself as i only have a maximum of 5 a day more likely to be 3 though.
"I just want silence. Jesus, it doesn't mean I don't like you. It just means right now, I like silence more."

#25 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,803 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:31 AM

Certainly not the same sort of Perique hit you'd find in an English style pipe tobacco,

Speaking of which, I obtained some really great perique tobacco and made some delectible cocktail bitters with it. I'm still tweaking the recipe to minimize the astringent effect you feel in the throat when dealing with tobacco, but it's almost perfect now. :thumbup:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#26 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:16 AM

That sounds absolutely intriguing. Let me know when you go into production!*

*Or need a taste tester.

#27 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,803 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:33 AM

Production? Nah. Just for my own (and friends') consumption. I've got a nice line of bitters now, though. :)
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association