Is it Real? or is it Le Tourment Vert?

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#1 fredfry

fredfry

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

I am going to risk life and limb and re-introduce Le Tourment Vert to the forum. I had originally posted a picture of the bottle with a short blurb on the current thread "And the 4th US-available absinthe is...damnit, it"s just La Fee" along with a link. I think that its appearance is significant in that the presence of Le Tourment Vert for sale here in the US is not being recognized for what it is, another viable choice. While it may not be in the same league as Kübler or even Lucid, and to some it might taste like :poop: it is however real absinthe, available and for sale. On the short list of available brands for sale in the states, I think that qualifies Le Tourment Vert for a second look. With all the hoopla surrounding the introduction of St. George into the market place it's possible that this brand crept in unnoticed. The following are a couple of thoughts on the matter.

1. It's available off the shelf at the local liquor store here on Long Island, making it the 4th absinthe. It was sitting next to a bottle of Lucid (yea, I know).

2. The bottle has the word Absinthe written on it, with additional documentation claiming the use of Grand Wormwood.

3. It's French made and while thats no guarantee of quality it is distilled using Grain alcohol.

4. Although the color is unnatural, the taste has begun to grow on me to the point where I am beginning to like it.

While I would be happy to place a review here (I did at La Fee), what we need is for someone else with more experience to buy a bottle and review it. And no I'm not buying!

#2 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,750 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:09 PM

Smart man.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#3 fredfry

fredfry

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

Why?

#4 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,750 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:12 PM

For not buying, of course.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#5 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:24 PM

to some it might taste like :poop: it is however real absinthe, [and] I think that qualifies Le Tourment Vert for a second look.

Non sequitur.

In my view, authenticity might earn an absinthe a first look, but after that, the spirit must stand on its own merits. I have not tried Le Tourment Vert, and thus I won't pass judgement on it yet. However, given its provenance, it's not really on my list of short-term procurements. I'm much more interested in trying the Marteau, the Helfrich, the Montmartre, etc.

However, I do welcome the US advent of La Fee inasmuch as every new brand that hits the shelves makes it that much harder for the authorities to turn back the clock, or so I would hope.
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#6 fredfry

fredfry

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:42 PM

Marlow, Compared to the brands on your wish list Le Tourment is probably 20,000 leagues under the sea, but at a 5 minute drive from my home and no postage to increase the cost it made it way too convenient for me to say no.

#7 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:50 PM

And if you enjoy it, then by all means drink it.

#8 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:06 PM

Though La Fee is a brand many would not want to see in the US.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#9 fredfry

fredfry

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:20 PM

This is not La Fee, my friend this is Le TourmentAttached File  Le_tourment.jpg   17.23KB   9 downloads :headbang:

#10 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:31 PM

I see, I think. I had jumped to the conclusion that this was from La Fee based on the title of your other post.

However, having glanced over your review at Fee Verte, I honestly don't get the impression you like La Tourment all that much. I'd suggest you grab a bottle of Lucid on your next trip down the street. :)

#11 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,278 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:36 PM

Could you point me to the part that mentions Grand Wormwood?

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#12 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:00 PM

I've been looking, too. I haven't found a claim to Grand Wormwood, yet.

I stumbled upon a Flickr page that shows me, we've been doing it all wrong. You pour shots of absinthe (or absinthe substitute) and place a little pile of sugar on the back of your hand. Not unlike tequi--erp--la, you lick the sugar and then down the shot.

I could have saved a ton of money on that fountain, spoons and glasses I've been buying.

#13 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:05 PM

You pour shots of absinthe (or absinthe substitute) and place a little pile of sugar on the back of your hand. Not unlike tequi--erp--la, you lick the sugar and then down the shot.

Your forgot the part about setting fire to the sugar...

#14 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

I didn't see the cute girl setting herself on fire. If she immolates I won't emulate!

#15 fredfry

fredfry

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:24 PM

cool, here goes, there is an insert card that comes with the bottle found inside the tube. Its written in French and badly translated by me.

Distilling Vinet EGE joins again with the most beautiful traditions of the French wormwood. The Green Torment is elabore from a grain alcohol of highest quality, while using true the armoise "large wormwood" as at the beginning of the century passes. The Green Torment etant produced in limitee quantity, I personally engage and guaranteed quality of each bottle. Because of its scarcity, will be able to enjoy it slowly

The green Torment can be traditionally been useful (on a sugar with water), but I prefer to serve it on an ice floe in small glass. Pour on the ice floe and then await the appearance of the cloud before apprecier really the Green Torment at best of its expression… With your health

Many things has you, and has all the votres
Bruno Delannoy
Distillerie Vinet Ege

Let me ask you a question, after further investigation (with your help if possible) if it all checks out and this brand is legit, wouldn't this be considered the next absinthe available in the US?

On a side note I did review this brand once already, most of my negative comments was due to the artificial color and yes the fact is that it's not that great. Although as I continue to drink it it's slowly been growing on me.

#16 kuchenhure

kuchenhure

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

This sounds like it was a one time thing produced and someone might have bought it up to sold in the US. Where is the evidence this is going to be made again? Every shop I look in it says it's no longer available, limited release.
How would that make it considered the 4th?

#17 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:30 PM

I'd like to have a bottle. Maybe not for the contents but I really like the bottle. :)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#18 fredfry

fredfry

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:36 PM

This sounds like it was a one time thing produced and someone might have bought it up to sold in the US. Where is the evidence this is going to be made again? Every shop I look in it says it's no longer available, limited release.
How would that make it considered the 4th?

While you might be right read post #11 and #15 on the And the 4th US-available absinthe is...damnit, it"s just La Fee thread, true it might be limited, we'll have to wait and see

Edited by fredfry, 26 December 2007 - 07:39 PM.

#19 kuchenhure

kuchenhure

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:41 PM

Ahhhh. I see...
Well I'd take one just for the pure fact of it only being of limited availability.
It's kind of funny the translated name is "The Torment".
Is it really a torment to drink it?
[the Green Agony?]

#20 fredfry

fredfry

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:55 PM

I know, I know, but the taste is rather mild and minty, and there are still bottles available down the block! :)

#21 existone

existone

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:23 PM

It personally doesn't look all that appetizing to me, however if it has grown on you, rock on! I might try it if it shows up in my store down the street, but I am not going searching for it. On that note, I wish I could get anything right down the street. I just asked the lady who owns the closest liquor store if she knows if they will carry Kübler anytime soon...
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

--Churchill

#22 plunger

plunger

Another friendly drunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:25 PM

Whether it's the 4th brand available or not should not be such a big deal. Slowly brands are going to come and go here in the US. Until I can walk down to my local ABC package store here in Virginia and pick up a bottle that contains at least anise, fennel, and grand wormwood, nothing has changed. I still have to get on a computer and pay a shipping charge. By all means if you find a brand of absinthe being sold here in the US, let it be known. These are more exciting times, indeed, but let's not get carried away. Time is on our side, unless we get hit by a bus or something.
It's not whether the glass is half empty or half full, it's whether you are pouring or drinking.

#23 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,734 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:43 PM

I must say, a joke once said with no laughs tis but a tragedy, a joke twice said with hopes for first laughs tis butt bad taste.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#24 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

Until I can walk down to my local ABC package store here in Virginia and pick up a bottle that contains at least anise, fennel, and grand wormwood, nothing has changed.

True enough but I'll take solace in if not changed at least changing.
To these aged eyes, that's not so bad.

And watch out for that damn bus.

#25 fredfry

fredfry

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:06 PM

I was looking to dig up more information on Le Tourment Vert and found a review of it on a site called Drinkhacker.com. I have no idea what the motives behind the review are, or of the authenticity of the author of the piece. What I find interesting is that the person writing the review is under the distinct impression that Le Tourment is going to be around for a while. if your interested in reading the review it's at http://www.drinkhack...-vert-absinthe/

#26 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:27 PM

Quoting from the review:

Le Tourment Vert is a bright green liquid, bottled at 100 proof (less than Lucid and Kübler), and characteristic in flavor of many non-wormwood absinthes such as Absente and Herbsaint.

Hmmm...not really off to a good start, are we?

But side by side, Tourment is clearly better. Absente has a pronounced bitterness,

What?!?!? Er, Drinkhacker? You have a phone call...from Earth....

Speaking of the bottle, it’s a real work of art: etched glass with the face of a demon, women’s faces in profile, and that inimitable green fairy hidden amongst the swirls. When full of the green stuff, the effect is quite striking (though my photograph doesn’t do it justice).

I saw the photo; I was whelmed. :euro:

As for Le Tourment, I'll give it a miss.

#27 Belarmin

Belarmin

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:24 AM

As soon as it makes it way here to the middle of the sea I'll pick one up.

But since we seem to be light years away, I guess I'll never get one.

Along those lines, the distributor of lucid in Chicago is also the largest wine and spirit distributor here in the islands... but me no see no lucid here.

Hiram, when your absinthe hits the market, how's about sending some our way?

(Actually, my wife and I considered flying to New Orleans to watch our team in the Sugar Bowl just so we could go somewhere and drink absinthe. Go figure!)

Sorry, I'm rambling now. Too much Kübler. Hey, it's the eve of the Eve!

#28 Belarmin

Belarmin

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:29 AM

Actually, I should stop griping.

I remember when Hiram predicted that absinthe would be "legal" in the states within the next five years

and look where we are now.

I just need to be a little patient.

Just a little while longer. Just a little while longer.

:twitchsmile:

#29 Fata Morgana

Fata Morgana

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:46 AM

All in all amongst the talk of 'decent' or 'not' I suppose it really is just like any other liqour. - it may not be the best stuff, but sometimes, dont ya just want wine out of a box? -

In the end, it just comes down to, what can I drink in a pinch that doesnt taste like cough syrup.
"They really are the worst twins ever. "

#30 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:51 AM

Studiofox, is that you?

Fata maybe you should go introduce yourself, proper-like.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association