Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan D.

Ice louche?

I still don't think anyone has tried the pumello zest yet though.

Where the hell would I find pumellos? I've never seen them anywhere.

Oh, and regarding vermouth, I like a lot. When I first started having martinis I only used a little but then I realised I was using shitty vermouth.

I'll be on the lookout, but so far I've not seen anything like them at even the most varied stores.

Oh, and regarding vermouth, I like a lot. When I first started having martinis I only used a little but then I realised I was using shitty vermouth.

Recommendations?

Nothing that hasn't been suggested before. Noilly for white, Rossi for red. As good as it gets here, but a far cry from the shit I used at first.

I agree that most people use too little vermouth in a martini. I like somewhere between 2:1 or 4:1 Gin to Vermouth depending and Nolly Pratt is the dry of choice.

Now back to the title topic. I place some ice directly into unlouched Absinthe almost every time even if I am using my fountain or brullieur. I like to watch the beautiful pearly tendrals snaking around the ice and I have never had the anethole problem that Hiram wisely warns about. I have not had the Absinthe with enough star anise to make that happen. Arak, on the other hand will do it every time and it is fairly unpleasant. So, I guess if I was giving a preparation interview on TV I would not do it but at home I like it and can say, from experience, you don't have to worry about bruising or slicking/chunking your quality Absinthe.

I've added ice first on a few occasions (like when I know the water in the fountain isn't the coolest and I don't want to refill it) and ShaiHulud's description is on the mark. It works great and it looks great, too.

Good to see my evil bro, again.

Pfft, I'm just saying don't knock it until you try it.

I've tried it now.

Easily the most boring martini I've ever had.

True. My taste prefers more rich and flavourful gins, more vermouth, bitters, and citrus zest instead of olives. More flavour and more balance.

hmm, yeah I'm really more of a gin & olives kind of guy, I don't dig the citrus angle on it. And I like the cold gin, not because I'm trying to mask the taste but because I enjoy the sensation and tasting it in as I swallow it moreso than when I first sip it. But similar to scotch I don't drink much stuff neat anymore (or near neat in the case of the way I'd make a martini).

I place some ice directly into unlouched Absinthe almost every time even if I am using my fountain or brullieur. I like to watch the beautiful pearly tendrals snaking around the ice and I have never had the anethole problem that Hiram wisely warns about.

Tried it today. Didn't get that many snaking pearly tendrils, not much movement. It just sat there, louching at the bottom. Looks nice though.

2461537212_2f0a02f51c_o.jpg

2460704021_379c943149_o.jpg

Thanks Motu. :)

Absomphe. You are right. But for some reason I was expecting the tendrils to snake upward and, as it were, embrace, and cling to the ice. So I wasn't appreciating the ones that were there at the bottom. My wife has just seen the pics and said she expected them to rise up as well. Obviously we don't know our physics. Cold water sinks!

I shall try it with a Duplais blanche next, see if there are differences in the effects. This is great, it's like a science experiment, that you get to drink afterwards! Thanks for the tip Shai. :cheers:

The drink was nice and cold when I got round to drinking it, but there is a sad end to the story. When it came to washing one of my antique glasses after my drink, it slipped out of my hand and smashed on the tiled floor! Bummer of the first quality! Fortunately it was not my expensive East glass. It only cost me 20 quid, and there was some doubt about it being an absinthe glass, maybe post-ban Pastis. It was a good everyday drinking glass though. Time to visit E.bay.

Cold water sinks!

Indeed it does. If your absinthe dose is large enough, you can see a fresh ice cube sit on the bottom. No floating ice in high abv alcohol.

but there is a sad end to the story.

That is a sad ending. :3869-sadbanana:

I was sitting here thinking I was loosing my mind because the ice was not floating in those pics. I had not dropped a cube in any absinthe and was not aware that it would sink. That is good to know.

It's fun to watch the ice cube slowly rise from the bottom of the glass as the absinthe gets diluted. As the ice rises the tendrils, jellies or whatever you call them just rain down from the ice.

It's the simple things that bring me joy. ;)

Sounds great OMG, methinks that shall be my next set of shots. Watch this space.

But not today, our granddaughter is here and demands our undivided attention. Even now she is shouting me.

Kids!

Thomas-try using a pontarlier style glass and a cube too large to slip into the dose reservoir. That way you will see the pearly tendrils between the ice and the milky louche below.

okay, I will admit to having done the ice thing as well. I generally do it when drinking lil' mini-shots, which I do fairly often. In a small 50 ml glass( a bit thinner than a regular Absinthe glass but not as much as a champagne glass) I place an ice cube, where it stays lodged in the top of the glass as I pour enough to just barely touch the bottom of the cube, usually 15-20 ml. The alcohol will induce meltiness and the cube will drip its way through the booze and form that fun louche layer.

drinking mini-doses makes me feel like I am somehow saving money and getting more drunk at the same time, not unlike when I would load up my food with hot pepper in art school so my throat and ears singing from it for the next hour would make me feel like I ate a lot more than I actually did.

Thomas-try using a pontarlier style glass .....

That would do it. I was wondering how to suspend the ice so the tendrils would fall. By the way Shai, those Dark and Stormys are far too moreish. The level in the Goslings bottle is dropping at an alarming rate. I could keep drinking them until I fall over!

That gives me an idea. If I remain seated all evening I will be able to drink more.

As you Americans say " Way to go" !

Which reminds me, you are all pronouncing yoghurt wrong.

I know what you mean about the Goslings. It calls to mind a portentous little ditty by one of my favourite musical ensembles (The Great Big Sea), "oh, the old black rum's got a hold of me like a dog wrapped round my leg..."

I thought we pronounced pretty much everything wrong. Even Canadian makes more sense to me.