Sign in to follow this  
Donna Ricci

Absinthe Themed Party ideas wanted please!

Welcome. And remember it's traditional to take lots of photos of your party and share them here in return for all the kind help and suggestions. So we can see how things turned out.

I'm editing the original post with new ideas as they come both to cut down on my new postings and to keep this topic more organized. Hope in the future, someone can take all these great ideas and do party which I demand they post pictures from.

One of the better priced absinthes on the market I found is Duplais 'Balance'. You can grab 2 Liters for £110.00 (including shipping). That's about $81.00 USD for 750ml. Considering Lucid is $65.00 for the same volume, I recommend spending the extra $16.00 :cheers:

Welcome. And remember it's traditional to take lots of photos of your party and share them here in return for all the kind help and suggestions. So we can see how things turned out.

I absolutely will and will post pictures of progess as it happens. I will warn you though, many cute drunk girls in corsets. I really doubt you all will want to see that! :P

Just another little helpful hint, it appears to me that you have a misspelling on your poster. Shouldn't that be, "Boys Bonk"? Just wondering.

Oh, and just for clarity: if you're playing Moulin Rouge during the party, make sure to point out to your guests that the way they prepare absinthe in the movie is incorrect both in history and practise.

Oh, and just for clarity: if you're playing Moulin Rouge during the party, make sure to point out to your guests that the way they prepare absinthe in the movie is incorrect both in history and practise.

No way, I'll be too drunk :)

But, I gotta say, I didn't even notice how it was prepared. I've been taught two ways, on of which I'm told is totally wrong historically, but more fun to watch, the setting of the sugar cube on fire after the absinthe has been poured over it to carmelize the sugar.

Of course, we'll try it on the czech stuff I bought :P

The first people were just dumb. The way if you choose to do it that way is to put water first, then absinthe! If you dunk your flaming cube into a glass of alcohol of course the whole thing will go! They deserved that.

Wow. As usual, I’m jumping in late. First, off, Welcome! :wave2: Secondly, just a suggestion but I’d not serve the Czecsinth with any other absinthe you are buying for your party. Simply out of the fact that you’ll want to most likely introduce all your friends to what is, and what is not. Mixing the two might send the wrong message (especially if you’ll be enjoying yourself and not in the condition- er- mood to educate them). Plus mixing a drink you louche and one you burn could end poorly. But, after all its your party, and you can Czech if you want to!

As far as atmosphere, you hit the nail on the head. What type of music do you want to have? Period? Modern? A mix of both? I would suggest that in the garden on a summer eve you may want some really nice candles or oil lamps; help lend the Victorian feel to it. Illuminate that 'green' backdrop.

I think in your preparation time if you do your research here you’ll come off with a grade-A event, and the knowledge to boot. :cheers:

One of the better priced absinthes on the market I found is Duplais 'Balance'.
I second that. :thumbup:

So the general concencous is to allow people who were uninvited (ie, their dates that I don't like) drink the crap and flambe it?

We could get drunk on the good stuff then and serve the bad. By that time our senses will be dull enough to accept the czech crap as something palatable?

Well, that's a technique. As far as making it something palatable, well that is asking a lot. Me, I'd just serve the good stuff and save the flambé for another venue. Course that is just me.

Edit: I really think once you taste the difference you’ll see why we suggest what we do.

I particularly don't ever find my senses dull drinking absinthe (well there was this one time but that is another story :laugh: ) Sounds like you have the right idea so far and plenty to work with. Welcome :cheers:

Edit: News Flash, I second VG's edit. That is all.

I absolutely will and will post pictures of progess as it happens. I will warn you though, many cute drunk girls in corsets. I really doubt you all will want to see that! :P

Convergence 11? :pirate:

...no, wait, different party :devil:

Convergence 11? :pirate:

...no, wait, different party :devil:

Heh, but those were many drunk angry girls!

I can confidently predict that there will be a huge rise in male members on posting night. Err.. male members logged in I mean.

I had the misfortune of tasting the Staroplznecky many moons ago, it was extremely bitter. Not very pleasant at all, even after sugar. People could be put off Absinthe for life if it's their first experience. I really recommend you have some decent authentic stuff on hand, for everyone to try, even the dates you don't like. You've heard the term "I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy?" It applies in this instance.

However, if you choose to ignore my advice, and do the Czech fire ritual anyway, I am willing to offer my services as a fireman for the evening, free of charge. I can provide my own buckets and foam hose.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :cheers:

You called?

Oh by the way P B, congratulations on your absolutely splendid suggestion that Donna should post pics, give me five my good man!

With the price of decent absinthe (and the outrageous cost for importing it) being what it is, you may find that the cheapest way to bring the green fairy to your party would be to simply invite someone like Rip Taylor and just buy him a pair of green tights. :thumbup:

John

So the general concencous is to allow people who were uninvited (ie, their dates that I don't like) drink the crap and flambe it?

Consider the mixed messages that will send. If you want your party to be period you should leave out the assbinth and the fire.

I particularly don't ever find my senses dull drinking absinthe...

Agreed. That's part of its appeal. I once tasted for the first time roughly 25 absinthes (and other liquid goodies) in one day and can still remember the flavour profiles of all of them. And yes, I was stinking drunk.

Donna, if you want to sample a couple others before your party lemme know. I'm in GDale, your party sounds rather of the SilverLake variety. But during the week I'm pretty easy to reach and you may want to sample whats legal here before you buy. That said, at an absinthe party, you'd do well to get as much as you can afford. I wouldn't turn my nose up to any you can get in the states if only because we are limited now. You only further limit yourself by believing off the mark that they aren't worth their salt. And remember, an absinthe hated by others may be your favorite. I really like my burning czechsinthe when it was around. May not have been real, but it was real fun.

I concur and find most anise based drinks produce a drunken lucid state when drunk to excess. If your planning on getting plastered and are on a tight budget, start with a good Arak, move to a quality absinthe then maybe back Arak before you waste any more absinthe :twitchsmile: