elfnmagik

If you liked Perique

No, but I do.

I think there were a few places on their website in NY that may.

Really though, I had a sip left of my Perique I was sitting on and decided after tasting the Fly to do a comparison. The Perique was actually a little rougher and the booze is completely hidden in the Fly. Dangerous stuff.

Elf, is it really at 70% abv or 70 proof as that site mentions:

Niemi said the 70-proof spirit is tasting pretty darn good served on the rocks with a twist of lemon.
(so, 35% abv)?

I haven't had the chance to try Perique yet. Thanks for the info, Elf! I'm going to see if any of those stores ship.

As a flavoured vodka the lowest abv should start with 30%, so 35% in that particular case is a standard.

In Europe, a product that measures 15-30% is classified as a spirit drink, the typical example would be Nemiroff Cranberry 21%. Flavoured vodkas are usually not intended to be drunk neat (even if bottled at 40% vol) just as the traditional standard clear vodka, but rather mixed. In the U.S. where vodka is generally drunk in cocktails, it might be the reason for lowered abv as well. Smirnoff red brand, owned since 2006 by one Italian company, has launched in the recent time two Smirnoff Twists, both of the which are bottled at 35% vol.

Yep, exactly 11 are available (as we type). You are lucky :harhar: , we have only two: Citrus Twist and Raspberry Twist. On the hand, we have Smirnoff Vladimir (no. 60) you probably don't. It is of course not due to its scarcity, it is just a brand made exclusively for the Polish market. Similar situation is with Finlandia Fusions AFAIK. Finlandia Wild Berries Fusion (launched in 2005) is available in the United States only, whereas Finlandia Redberry is limited to Eastern Europe market only.

Elf, is it really at 70% abv or 70 proof as that site mentions
My bad.

Not sure if anyone saw this, but it looks like there's nothing currently in place for ordering outside SC right now. A co-worker knows one of the partners and is going to see if there's a way for ordering. Oh, and they're revamping the website just since yesterday.

The peach variety sound intriguing enough. And it is good to read the Sweet Tea has its roots in tradition

“In 1839, the Tea Liquor Punch originated in Charleston. That was the party drink of choice in 1839 — sweet tea mixed with liquor.”
, not in the fanciful marketing for the crowds (like current Absolut line is doing).

The peach variety sound intriguing enough. And it is good to read the Sweet Tea has its roots in tradition
“In 1839, the Tea Liquor Punch originated in Charleston. That was the party drink of choice in 1839 — sweet tea mixed with liquor.”
, not in the fanciful marketing for the crowds (like current Absolut line is doing).

To be honest, Tea has a much older place in punch than Charleston of the 1800s.

Tea is often cited as being present in the original formulations of Indian/British punch from around the 1500s or earlier.

Swedish Punch, a not so common classic cocktail ingredient is made from: tea, citrus, spice, sugar, and Batavia Arrack or Rum.

I just got home from a trip to Gatlinburg,TN. There are a couple stores in the area that carry Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka.

That's some tasty stuff! Needless to say, a few bottles came home with me.

I found a different brand of Sweet Tea Vodka when I was last in Chi-town: Sweet Carolina, from White Rock Distilleries of Lewiston, Maine. Also 70 proof ABV. First time I'd seen it, after the discussion here, I latched right on to it. It's very pleasant, and I can't wait to try it in an Arnold Palmer...

I'd be very interested to try the genuine stuff from South Carolina, as well. Comparison's sake, you know. I can't afford the Perique right now, so the $18 for a liter (even plus shipping) sounds awesome!

Reading about Perique, and the slowfood.com review of the product, has me wondering. Has anyone tried steeping tobacco in high-proof vodka to see what the infusion might taste like? I'm thinking a blend of unflavored pipe tobacco, perhaps?

EDIT: On second thought, this is a terrible plan. Who knows how many carcinogens and what-have-you would be infused at the same time?

Article in our state paper says Firefly Sweet Tea is now being made by Buffalo Trace in order to meet increasing demand of its now 30 state distribution, with all 50 projected by the middle of this year. However, the article did indicate that Sweet Tea distributed within SC will continue to be produced in the original little distillery (small batch) using locally grown muscadines and tea.