18 replies to this topic

#1 smokescreen

smokescreen

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:38 AM

I've gotten lately into flambeing foods. After all, cooking is fun, and so is fire!! So, here's a dessert recipe I've come to enjoy. Don'tbother dieting the night that you make this...

2 Bananas (just unripe, just yellowing)
1/4 C Macadamia Nuts
2 TBS Butter
4 TBS Brown Sugar
1/4 C Dark or Spiced Rum (in tall shot glasses)

Ice Cream (or a complementary flavour, ie.. banana, brwon sugar, french vanilla)

Preferably, with a cast iron skillet, heat over high heat, over a gas burner
When almost hot, add butter and flow it over entire pan
With bananas sliced lengthwise down the inside of the curve and into 2-3" pieces,
place flat down, into skillet, then cover with brown sugar, and stir by swirling in pan
Watch somewhat closely, and after about three minutes turn them over (this'll be easy)
Add macadamias (halved)
Again, after three to four minutes remove momentarily from heat and pour in first glass of Rum, then quickly tip lightly toward burner and swoop gently forward directly over flames, FIRE will ensue so make sure your hood fan is on

At this point, I like to flambe away from the stove top. Generally, guests like to watch, and thats easier if you turn and hold a little lower than burner height over floor. As the flambe loses intensity i add the second shot of Rum and resume flambe, as long as this lights, I have the burner shut off, because the cooking is done. The way the bananas are sliced, you will do well to fit two bananas on the skillet, so this is enough for two people, it's fun enough to make that you won't mind doing it over and over.

Once the flambe is out, I like to add a splash more rum here just to add to the flambe sauce in the skillet. I like to use Martini Glasses and place bananas around the glass, then a couple scoops of ice cream in the middle with the macadamias around the ice cream. Drizzle the sauce out of the pan onto the two servings, and ENJOY!!!
"We're all very different, but one thing we do have in common is our deliberate, managed risk, which leads to a sharper awareness of life, a sharper state of mind. We're all looking for something more than is offered by the average life."

-'Jupiter' Ted Simon on motorcycle riders

#2 existone

existone

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:36 AM

I love bananas foster. My variation uses a dash of vanilla, a splash of O.J. and some creme de banana. I omit the nuts because after a hearty dinner I like my dessert to have that 'melt in my mouth' texture :) Thanks for sharing!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

--Churchill

#3 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:14 PM

Another Bananas Foster fan here.......and I think the Macadamias sound like a fantastic addition.

The original recipe for Bananas Foster calls for rum AND banana liqueur. Nothing exceeds like excess!

Thanks for posting this. :wave2:

#4 existone

existone

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

They may be yummy. After all they sure are good in cookies.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

--Churchill

#5 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

Mmm, you know it.

Don't get me wrong, existone.....I love melt-in-the-mouth desserts. I just happen to be a Macadamia fan.

#6 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

You're not one of the Hawaiian shirt crowd, too, are you?

#7 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

Nah....I'm way too boring. You're thinking of thegreenimp!

#8 existone

existone

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

Posted Image

What's wrong with Hawaiian shirts. :laugh:

--Churchill

#9 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

Wrong? Who said anything about wrong?

Posted Image.... B)

#10 smokescreen

smokescreen

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:48 PM

I'm a long haired bohemian personably... I think a good time for a little 99Bananas is after the cooking. When you've taken the bananas outta the pan, you can pour in the 99Bananas and swill. The deglaze is a great sauce, made better by the 99Bananas, or worse if you prefer Rum.
"We're all very different, but one thing we do have in common is our deliberate, managed risk, which leads to a sharper awareness of life, a sharper state of mind. We're all looking for something more than is offered by the average life."

#11 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:45 PM

The banana liqueur glaze is probably nice and syrupy.

A handful of New Orleans restaurants still serve Cafe BrŻlot. It's a beautiful old tradition.

Flambťeing bananas AND coffee at the same meal might be overkill, but for the record, here's Emeril's recipe for Cafe BrŻlot. NOTE: There's a mistake in the recipe. Flame the liqueur before adding the hot coffee, as per the Antoine's recipe.

Antoine's recipe uses brandy instead of orange liqueur.

The ooh-ahh moment is when the waiter pours the flaming liqueur down the orange spiral. If you try it at home, dim the lights!

In New Orleans, BrŻlot sets are a popular wedding present:

BrŻlot Cups
Ladle and bowl

#12 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clownô

• 18,635 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

I love bananas foster.

I'm with you and Brooks on this one.

One of my favorite Trappist style ales ever was breweed by the now defunct Far West Brewing, here in Washington, known as Imagination Series #6 (for Bottleworks sixth anniversary). It was supposed to pay homage to the magnificent Rochefort 10, but ended up tasting just like a beautifully made Bananas Foster instead!

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#13 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:01 PM

Bananas Fosters is one of my favorite deserts. Silent made it for us last September in T73 and Maggie's home. As they say around here, that thar was some good goins'.

:cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#14 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

... ooops! double post.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#15 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

Who could not like Bananas Foster, is my question? :tongue:

That ale sounds amazing, Abs.

Knowing zip about beers and ale, it's always a treat to go beer-drinking with someone who's really into it. I'm generally flabbergasted.....it's a universe unto itself!

#16 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clownô

• 18,635 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:15 PM

Ain't it the truth.

I think Ratebeer.com was up to over 16,000 beers rated, last time I checked.

Imagine having such a plethora of absinthes to choose from! :yahoo:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#17 Rabelais

Rabelais

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

I do the bananas flambe also, use slices of pineapple and grand Mariner/orange marmalade.
The flambe is good for parties, 24 inch pan with 1/2 bottle liquor in it makes a nice eyebrow reducing flame, dont get it too close to the curtains.

#18 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

A 24" pan? A bet that hurts if you get caught trying to sneak in the back door drunk late at night.

#19 smokescreen

smokescreen

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:58 PM

in my kitchen it's all iron... A 24inch pan would be... BADASS!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association