1a-absinthe.com

Introducing myself

I've popped around your site a bit and you have toned down the thujone hype. A half a page that's only slightly suggestive in a "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" sort of way. I think you should be commended for the improvement although I'd personally prefer a strong statement saying thujone ain't shit.

On the rating scale, I'm not sure what you mean by "intensity." Flavor? Louche? But it comes across as a bit of a druggie reference, "Dude! That was so intense!" But maybe I'm reading my own wild, unbridled background into that.

Seriously, the biggest complaint I have is the crapsinthe labeled as absinthe but I have no right to tell you what you should be selling. The fact is, when more and more absinthes hit the US market we'll have plenty of crap sitting right next to the good stuff.

We are pretty sensitive about thujone hype. Hypersensitive, even. To begin with, most of the thujone crap isn't absinthe. It creates a drug-infused image that does no one any favors (except the scammers) and the uninformed folks are getting ripped-off by the shills. Yeah, we're not into that so much.

I guess it all comes because absinthe is illegal over there and people have another view on it.

In europe no one cares about thujone and even the police does not care much about pot smoking, so there is no such drug association to absinthe.

Thujone was a new thing to check out and it's over.

But I refuse to keep silent about it as long as questions swirl around. There is no hype and if you call a single menue point among 13 others, 10th in the line and with absolutely nothing in the text that can be proofed as untrue a "hype", I guess you are really hypersensible.

You search for thujone and when you find anything you cry out loud, but what kind of view is that? It is not the common perception. You would even get upset when thujone is invisible in the meta content.

No, I don't get remotely upset when anyone mentions thujone. No, absinthe is not illegal over here.

I get upset when unscrupulous businesses hype the lie that thujone will make you trip balz. If you mention thujone to increase sales to the uninformed, you can't expect to earn much respect around here. If you mention thujone to educate the uninformed, that it won't make you hallucinate or go nutz, you've come to the right place. So I guess the question for you is:

Do you talk about thujone to sell evil absinthe to the unaware or do you mention it to help better inform your customers in selecting a quality product? Depending on your reason, you know whether you are welcome here or not. WS is not about selling absinthe. WS is about educating the consumers.

I believe the reason you don't understand our view is that you don't really care about absinthe as a personal interest, it's just a product to sell.

The fact is, you cater to and make money off of the lie that thujone means something about absinthe.

In europe no one cares about thujone and even the police does not care much about pot smoking, so there is no such drug association to absinthe.
If no one cares about it, why bother adding it? I don't care about metadata; I use thujone in the metadata here. The difference is that once someone is here, we show them why thujone is irrelevant to the quality of absinthe.

King of Spirits Gold is not absinthe and in no way resembles absinthe. Neither does Staroplzenecký. Fifty euros a liter for bitter green vodka?? Fee Verte's Elixier? Don't get me started.

These are not absinthe. They never were and never will be. Absinthe doesn't taste like that.

How do you feel about selling fake crap that isn't absinthe? How do you justify selling a product that has been proven to be inappropriately labeled?

The bohemian absinthe culture is not uncontroversial, as czech absinthes have few in common with southwest european traditions. Above all stands the common practice of leaving out anise, which leads to a completely different taste. Quality could be improved sometimes, but they pay a lot of attention to the thujone contents.

Message: this stuff tastes like crap, but thujone makes up for that. They pay so much attention to thujone that they have to add extra, because there's no wormwood in a lot of it.

Thujone is a component of the ethereal oil of the wormwood plant (artemisia absinthium).

It is extracted from wormwood herb during the making of absinthe, and it is contents of every absinthe.

Misleading. The truth is that thujone is not easily extracted during normal distillation and that many properly made absinthes contain virtually no thujone. Also, there are absinthium plants that contain no detectable thujone at all.

Thujone is also a neurotoxin, that leads in higher doses on humans to convulsions, delusions and hallucinations.
Thujone is not a hallucinogen.

The legend tells, that the thujone of the abinthe of the end of 19th century has inspired many artists to great works.
What legend? I know of no such legend. What I know is that absinthe has been said to inspire artists and that ten years ago a bunch of marketers decided to say that it was the thujone.

Beyond controversy, all these great artists have set absinthe a topic of their work and dedicated own pieces of art to it.
The same thing can be said of wine.

In our days, the thujone contents of absinthe is - when enjoyed in moderation - not unhealthful nor does it cause hallucinations.
Why must you say "in our days"? It's been shown that modern absinthe has the same levels of thujone as old absinthe did.

Look, you can obviously sell whatever you want, we can't stop you, but don't ask us to support you.

Looks like Marteau is "Extremely Intensive".

Should I save it to drink during base jumping or bungee jumping then?

Intensity is the diffence between pure alcohol and alcohol with rich herbal flavour, I already explained that some posts earlier.

Maybe richness would be a better word, maybe I will change it later.

Drink some pure alcohol or hapsburg 90 or drachenburger and you will see there is no intensity, just alcohol.

Rich developing flavour is intense. All your drug associations to that are completly wrong.

I think you have a wrong idea of what a shop is. A shop sells something, and a shop is not educating or infantilizing the buyers by telling them what they have to do.

I sell products that are sold under the name absinthe and paraphernala. Thats it. It's a shop and not the last judgement about absinthe.

I do what very few shops do, I advise customers which producs are good and high quality and which ones are not recommendable. Very few sellers do so. Most of them recommend the ones with the highest profit.

But it is not my part to tell anybody not to buy a special product.

People have their own mind and when they want to buy a crap absinthe in full awareness, they have their reason. Maybe it should be a joke, a larking gift, or they are collectors (ever mentioned that? seems you don't tolerate collectors) or they just want to try. But they know what they buy, and they want it.

I am no authority, teacher or guard to my customers, how should I?

I offer products and say what it is, more clearly than others do. So if you think it is crap and the shop says its low quality, and you don't buy it, everything is perfect.

Just ignore what does not interest you.

Look, you can obviously sell whatever you want, we can't stop you, but don't ask us to support you.

I don't ask you to support me, I just wanted to let you know that I reduced the prices of the top absinthes that you love so much about 15% for a few days, so that you can have an advantage.

I just wanted to give you a chance to buy the real good stuff for a very good rate (my shipping is also 20 EUR less than others).

But I guess you won't buy at my shop even when it's all for 1 EUR, just because you found the word thujone somewhere. I am the evil, I am your natural enemy, you have to fight me , that is the holy mission. For me this is close to fanatism.

QUOTE Thujone is also a neurotoxin, that leads in higher doses on humans to convulsions, delusions and hallucinations.Thujone is not a hallucinogen.

Irrelevant.

Take some toxine and you will get hallucinations, does not matter what it is categorized.

Flu will make you hallucinate, too, and it's not a hallucinogen.

You don't like the thujone text, so just ignore it.

I see you can't find anything in it that supports your heavy vituperation of my person.

It's all so minor and ignoring my facts (I posted a document that shows that absinthe is not allowed to be sold when it contains no thujone, but you ignore it, it does not match to your ideology).

I think the discussion here is no discussion, just prejudgement and bashing. Few people have a differentiated point of view, or take a closer look.

And no one sees any positive things.

This is no good state of mind.

Edited by 1a-absinthe.com

I think the discussion here is no discussion, just prejudgement and bashing.

Oh please.

If you truly think thujone is irrelevant, then you wouldn't have a category where you can search by thujone level.

I do commend you for taking a lot of the blatant thujone hyping out, but there's still enough of an undercurrent that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

There is no search by thujone level, it is just divided into bitter spirits and non bitters.

Please do not critizise me with untrue suppositions.

And as long as people ask me about bitter or not, I will give them the info for many reasons, as I explained before several times.

And absinthe drinking is about joy and fun and not a matter of science for the majority of pleople, so please allow them a bit of myth and legend. It is the same as having a new girlfriend. Do you want to see her all nude from the beginning with spotlight on weaker parts or would you like to use your imagination and discover things in twilight? Same with absinthe, people WANT some mystery about it, it is part of the whole thing.

Not for you, but you are a small minority of experts, and not a target group for sellers.

You have your fun in analyzing and criticizing, the majority has no scientific ambitions and prefer some entertainment factor.

This is not to misunderstand as telling them some fairy tales. But you drive it much too far, it is a witch hunt against people who do not share your point.

I dunno if there's much hope here. I tried to play nice and politely explain what our concerns were. You didn't address them. Others were more direct. All I see is defensive posturing with lots of "You" attacks and poorly executed arguments of semantics.

Thujone is not part of absinthe's mystique or allure and it sure as hell shouldn't be a selling point despite your arguments to the contrary. There's plenty of mystery in the history and every glass without touting the lies. My feeling is, you don't really give a rat's ass about absinthe. You only want to sell and you don't care whether it's quality absinthe or shitty flavored vodka. I hope I'm wrong.

Before you pop off and respond to this post, I want you to sincerely consider why you're at WS. Take a day off of the Forum. Think about it. If you want to add to the absinthe dialog in some meaningful fashion, great. If you just want to push your shop, learn to make google work for you. If you just want to argue, these fine gentlefolks would love to have you visit.

So what's the point?

I should delete menue point 10 and all is good?

Is that all?

It is so ironic that "you" - you means the people writing here, I know my posts are sketchy but I can not spend much time here with talking - that you talk about nothing else but thujone. 3 pages of thujone talk, nothing else after all. Thats really disappointing.

I do not love absinthe, thats true.

I did not know that you have to be in love to a product you sell.

I think there are other things in the world that need much more attention than absinthe.

I do not spend all my time on absinthe talks, there is much more that interests me.

So this is a deal breaker? The dealer has to be devoted to the product?

Imagine, becoming an absinthe adept is quite expensive. I am not in that position that I can try a Jade here, a Segarra there. I guess my sense of taste is also not outstanding.

So I have no right to sell absinthe?

After all I experience here, it is a place of ideology and intolerance, and talk nothing but thujone.

You choose not to learn because you don't want to.

At least you're honest enough to admit "no love" of absinthe and you're only here to sell it. I understand now, it's not about the Thujone; it's all about the $$$. You're a shill.

We have several businesses represented here by people that care about absinthe, not just pushing their store. They are good members.

Gimme one good reason not to flush your money grubbing ass? Just one.

I think you have a wrong idea of what a shop is. A shop sells something, and a shop is not educating or infantilizing the buyers by telling them what they have to do.

I sell products that are sold under the name absinthe and paraphernala. Thats it. It's a shop and not the last judgement about absinthe.

By comparison the vendors used by WS members do actually tend to go through the trouble to educate the consumer. Not only that, but they put some of their profits into the production of new, quality products. That's why we use their services and not yours.

People have their own mind and when they want to buy a crap absinthe in full awareness, they have their reason. Maybe it should be a joke, a larking gift, or they are collectors (ever mentioned that? seems you don't tolerate collectors) or they just want to try. But they know what they buy, and they want it.

No, people by and large still don't have the slightest clue about absinthe. They think it's a drug. And there's enough unscrupulous jackoffs still pushing the misinformation that the dumb myths are slow to die. A whole bunch of products out there that are labeled "absinthe" or "absinth" are not absinthe at all and are only taking advantage of a lack of legal definition to be sold as such. Putting them next to authentic products on an absinthe website indicates that they're in fact absinthe. An average person would say, "well, they're called absinthe and sold on an absinthe website. Must be absinthe."

I am the evil, I am your natural enemy, you have to fight me , that is the holy mission. For me this is close to fanatism.

You dope. Fanaticism would be hacking your website and burning it down. The purpose of WS to "educate consumers, guide them in their absinthe choices and help them avoid inferior products." That's the reason we're here.

(I posted a document that shows that absinthe is not allowed to be sold when it contains no thujone, but you ignore it, it does not match to your ideology).

Bullshit. You posted a document by a distributor. You didn't post the text for any law or regulation. Nobody ignored it because it didn't match ideology so you can just cram that "oh, you're all such ideological fanatics" schtick up your ass. It was ignored because it doesn't match any legal information we know. It appears the error was on the vendor's part.

And no one sees any positive things.

This is no good state of mind.

I see lots of positive things. Just not in your posts or website.

And absinthe drinking is about joy and fun and not a matter of science for the majority of pleople, so please allow them a bit of myth and legend. It is the same as having a new girlfriend. Do you want to see her all nude from the beginning with spotlight on weaker parts or would you like to use your imagination and discover things in twilight? Same with absinthe, people WANT some mystery about it, it is part of the whole thing.

The stupid, ridiculous myths that have come about after absinthe's era had ended are not charming. The actual real, true information and history of absinthe is. And it's more interesting than the web of lies that have cropped up around it.

that you talk about nothing else but thujone. 3 pages of thujone talk, nothing else after all.

Just in this thread while trying to explain something to a stubborn person. Look at the rest of the forum and you'll see that comment is absurd.

So what's the point?

I should delete menue point 10 and all is good?

Is that all?

It is so ironic that "you" - you means the people writing here, I know my posts are sketchy but I can not spend much time here with talking - that you talk about nothing else but thujone. 3 pages of thujone talk, nothing else after all. Thats really disappointing.

I do not love absinthe, thats true.

You don't have to love it, but you have to care enough about your business to tell the truth about what you are selling. Selling absinthe on the lie that it will make you hallucinate is just wrong. In the U.S., it would also be illegal.

I think there are other things in the world that need much more attention than absinthe.

I do not spend all my time on absinthe talks, there is much more that interests me.

So this is a deal breaker? The dealer has to be devoted to the product?

Imagine, becoming an absinthe adept is quite expensive. I am not in that position that I can try a Jade here, a Segarra there. I guess my sense of taste is also not outstanding.

After all I experience here, it is a place of ideology and intolerance, and talk nothing but thujone.

There are more important things in the world, but when it comes to running a business, you had better be devoted to the business. If your business is selling manure, you have to be devoted to giving your customer the finest manure that you can get. The same goes for selling absinthe or any other product. This is just the way that a business has to be run. Otherwise, it won't last long.

I have never tried many of the upper tier absinthes, but I care about dearly about the subject. Not because I run a business, but because I purchase the products. You can bet that I will only spend my money with sites that are strictly on the level. If the site refuses to tell me the truth about the products it sells, how can I trust it enough to send my hard earned cash to it? It is not all about thujon, but about truth. Plain and simple. I can not stress this enough.

Other than selling via untruths, the site is coming along quite nicely and with just a little more work, it can be a site that rivals LdF or Lion. If you get your act together, folks who are looking for the real stuff will come and spend their money with you. Then, you will be able to afford to try some of the great stuff.

Here's hoping that the truth sets you free. I would like to see you succeed. I am sure that others here agree with me on that.

I am not in that position that I can try a Jade here, a Segarra there. I guess my sense of taste is also not outstanding.

you don't sell Jade absinthes, yet with ALL the absinthes you sell to choose from, you have an image of the Jade Verte Suisse label at the top of the home page of your site. why? to get people to search your site thinking they might find it there? not a very up-front sales tactic, is it? please remove the image.

There is no search by thujone level, it is just divided into bitter spirits and non bitters.

Please do not critizise me with untrue suppositions.

Having a link that sorts absinthes by thujone level, then further categorizes them by more or less than 10ppm is exactly the same think as a search by thujone level. Like others have said, you aren't making a point here, you're arguing semantics.

True, you don't have to love it. But you should have enough respect for yourself to be knowledgeable enough about the product to educate your consumers on the truths and lies of absinthe.

Selling absinthe on the lie that it will make you hallucinate is just wrong. In the U.S., it would also be illegal.
Tell that to Joey Capo of Bamboo restaurant in Ocean City MD. ;)

Selling absinthe on the lie that it will make you hallucinate is just wrong. In the U.S., it would also be illegal.

1a-absinthe. I think the above short quotes sum up the WS cause for concern with your type of advertising.

In the U.S. alot of people are trying very hard to dispell the thujone myths to allow more absinthes into our country and KEEP absinthe legal here. We see these works of thujone hyping chipping away at the legal foundation of a fledgling U.S. industry that many here at WS are actively trying to establish, you will see anger and frustration on behalf of the many herb growers, distillers, their friends and all absinthe lovers here at WS and in the U.S.

From your posts and your attemp to appease the folks here at WS I can tell you are truly not a bad person, but not loving absinthe says to me that maybe sir, the WS is not for you. I hope you aquire a concern for our drink as I may enjoy talking cordially with you on these forums but if there is not real care for absinthe I don't see us (all of us here on WS forums) having much to say to you.

Good luck sir.

Ha!

Of course, not everyone can be the Capo di Tutti Crapsinthe™, after all.

Where the hell do you read me saying absinthe makes hallucinations?

That is not what the website says.

Quote me that sentence that definitely says: "Absinthe will make you hallucinate".

That is your interpretation because you want to read this out of the text.

And why don't you come along with the truth about your business intentions - it is all about washing absinthe clear so that you can start making big money - thats the truth.

You are looking for the big deal, and I can put a spoke in your wheel when I will not confess absinthe is absolutely harmless.

Edited by 1a-absinthe.com

Wrong answer.

Gimme one good reason not to flush your money grubbing ass? Just one.

Not even one? You didn't even try. Not only are you a shill, you're a troll.

Time for you to take break.

That is not what the website says.

Quote me that sentence that definitely says: "Absinthe will make you hallucinate".

That is your interpretation because you want to read this out of the text.

http://www.1a-absinthe.com/Thujone-contents:::22.html

Thujone is also a neurotoxin, that leads in higher doses on humans to convulsions, delusions and hallucinations.

That was a copy and paste from that page. What am I reading out of text? I see it right there.

And why don't you come along with the truth about your business intentions - it is all about washing absinthe clear so that you can start making big money - thats the truth.

I have a great job working as a systems analyst in a casino. They pay me very well, and I don't plan on running a business of my own again. I did that about 15 years ago and I don't want to work that hard anymore. I like having free time when I can do whatever I want.

You are looking for the big deal, and I can put a spoke in your wheel when I will not confess absinthe is absolutely harmless.

I was pretty much on your side, due to the fact that you seemed to be honest enough to come here and try to dig up the truth. After running your site for 7 years, you claim to not be able to afford to buy yourself a bottle of good absinthe to drink and enjoy. I figure that if you would make more money by being honest about the products you sell.

You are just in it for the cash and you don't give a rat's ass about the truth. The truth is the last thing you want to hear or pass along to your customers.

Again, symantics. You claim thujone makes you hallucinate. That, in turn, would mean that you are inferring that absinthe makes you hallucinate.

Really? I work pretty hard to educate a lot of people about the truth behind absinthe. I have no commercial interests whatsoever. None. Tell me how your statement is the truth?

And why don't you come along with the truth about your business intentions -

You need to come along with yours. You already said you don't care for absinthe, your only reason for being here is to drum up business, which is expressly prohibited in the forum rules:

9. NO SPAM. Don't join the forum just sell stuff. If you don't have a sincere personal interest in absinthe you don't belong here. Well-known vendors are welcome to post about new product availability and members may solicit swaps or offer collectibles for sale. New members: it's best to wait a while before looking for a buyer for something. Contact an admin if you are unsure about this.

"1a-absinthe.com" has been suspended from posting for a week while he cools down, gains some perspective, and figures out who we are and why we're pissed. In the interest of fairness, I'm closing this thread temporarily, since he cannot respond.