It is truly a sign of the Apocalypse: absinthist and Hiram agreeing. :shock:

A historic moment, indeed that needs a celebration :cheers:

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those brands might have contained dust, as well as a host of more vile impurities.

I'm sure the brands those that substituted badiane for green anise lacked the discernible subtleties of the more expensive brands, but I doubt those starving artiste types gave a rat's posterior about that.

You have forgotten about pregnant women, friend.

I should have had my bottle of Sirene days ago, but alas the package was damaged on it's way and FedEx deemed it undeliverable. I wrote Binny's asking if they had shipped out a replacement bottle, but I've received no word in two days now. If I don't here from them soon, I'll have to get more proactive with both Binny's and FedEx to see what's being done about this.

I just had my first sip of Sirene. It's interesting. I hadn't read any reviews except the ones in this thread. I was trying to be open minded, you know, with no preconceived opinion.

My first impression was of evergreen. Weird but not bad. Then licorice came to mind. I'm confused. I didn't get the fennel until the finish.

After a few sips I thought maybe juniper, maybe. Could have been ultra minty wormwood. <shrug>

This was a sample sent to me by a WS friend and I'm looking forward to buying a bottle so I can give it a real test drive. I wish I knew more about it's recipe but we all know that feeling.

The last thing was the wormwood I think.

I'm puzzled but not in a bad way. I've a limited exposure to absinthe but this is on my "to buy" list.

Thank you! :cheers:

I will be trying Sirene tomorrow afternoon when I get to Chicago. Of the 2 bottles I had delivered to my friends house, only 1 is left, but he is going to buy a replacement for me to smuggle bak to NC.

My bottle of Sirene is bought and is being carried to me by a friend/co-worker. I'll have it tomorrow or Monday. I had a sip today of the sample a WS friend sent. Thanks again. It was more licorice than about anything else.

I'm looking forward to my own bottle so I can make a full drink and do a review.

I know......I make empty threats. :devil:

The No. 6 gin is being brought to me as well. Gin and I get along pretty well. I'm looking forward to it.

:cheers:

I brought a bottle to a get-together yesterday and it was met with mixed reviews.

I get different flavors every time I try it.

Sirene ranks among one of the best absinthes I have tried so far and i've had Taboo, Gold, La Clandestine, Pernod and Sirene which are the only absinthes available in Ontario. This one has a very intriguing taste that always has me coming back to it. It is probably the best one hands down for whats available at the LCBO.

I finished 3 ounces from batch 15 that my brother brought me from Toronto that I had sitting for about 2 months and it was even more complex and full of flavour since when I opened it.

does anyone else notice a very slight nutmeg aroma/flavor to it?

I like Sirene alot...Sonja was kind enough to send 3 bottles to the LCBO here, I'm on bottle number 3 now from batch 18. Living in Ontario with our strict liquor laws means that it is hard to get absinthe period, the LCBO only sells Hills, Sirene and Pernod and only a few places online that are located in canada can ship to Ontario. But I'm sure things will improve eventually.

I know this thread is pretty old, but I wanted to revive it to see if anyone has visited the newer batches of Sirene. I bought a bottle last night and have to say that while I wasn't let down I definitely was not as impressed as I have been with other recent purchases. Although my other recent purchases have been stellar brands so maybe that is not fair.

I usually drink absinthe between 3 to 4 parts water to 1 part absinthe and usually use no (or very little) sugar. I found this absinthe to be bitter and strong at 4:1 and watered it to 5:1, where it was more pleasant. I did not sugar it but will next time. The louche was also thin, so I might try to fiddle with the prep next time to enhance that. All in all though I don't regret the purchase but will have to play with it some more to see if I will be buying another bottle in the future.

By the way, this is batch 26. Pretty much bought it as an impulse buy and some vague recollections of a fair amount of praise it received when it first came out. The fact that it is sold 2 minutes from my house is a bonus.

I haven't sipped any in recent memory but it wasn't bad the last time I had it. Fiddling with the ratio is a good way to spend an evening. Adding sugar may be something to consider.

As far as the louche, some of the better tasting absinthes I've had had a weak louche but tasted very nice, satisfying in fact. Have fun with it, Cheers!

My first bottle is long gone but I remember initially being unimpressed. After opening the bottle and letting a couple of weeks pass, it turned into a pretty tasty beverage. I'm interested if that happens with your bottle, Pierre.

Just wanted to do a quick update. I have tinkered with the louche a bit and it seems to benefit greatly with a VERY slow drip with very cold water. Even a moderate drip produces a very thin louche.

As for the taste, it hasn't really changed. It isn't terrible but definitely not something I would probably buy again in the future unless I heard something changed drastically. I do sugar my glasses of Sirene now and that has improved it (along with a higher amount of water than usual).

Overall, an decent absinthe at best. It does do a good job of making me anticipate my package from Emile Pernot that much more.

It does do a good job of making me anticipate my package
As if one could appreciate their package too much.

I don't remember having issues with the louche which is something I'm pretty persnickety about. It makes me wonder if there has been a formula change in the last year or so?

I'll take a comparison pic this weekend Joe because it is a very remarkable difference. It is pretty interesting.

Also, I really am looking forward to receiving a package of Ridge some day soon (hopefully someone can ship to the STL). You might say that I have package envy...